The Student Room Group

Does long distance really work in university?

Me and my boyfriend have been going out for almost 2 years now and we are both incredibly happy with eachother, however we are both planning on going to separate universities, with approximately 2 hours drive away from eachother, we both understand that it is going to be immensely hard and know that we will need to put in the time and effort to make it work. Regardless , I just want to know what other people’s view on this issue is, does long distance relationships really last in university?
Yes, they can work. 2 hours is nothing - hop, skip, and a jump away. It's not like you can only see each other by booking flights.

While you may not be able to see each other as much during the week, that can actually be a good thing in the long run.

Why?

You each get your alone time, study time, work time, and friend time. Without distractions. There should be plenty of phone calls, texting, and/or Skype chats along the way.

Then you have the weekends, starting Friday afternoons, where you can drive and look forward to fun times together to finish off the week and start the next one - the semesters will go by so much faster. :-)
The situation you describe is definitely workable. Two hours really isn't that far apart. Hopefully one of you has a car or there is a train between your towns. If its on the train then you'll have the opportunity to study and just relax and unwind. One thing that is important is socialize with each others friends. Get to know and go out with the friends you both make at uni. It will be important for you to both have positive social experiences at uni and that will mean meeting and hanging out with people you meet there so be open minded to going out with his/your friends on Friday night then perhaps spend Saturday together as a couple. Good Luck!
Me and my boyfriend are in the same situation... it is really hard I admit but if the love is that strong the distance will not matter. There is obviously the thaught of trust and things so you have to make sure you communicate. People are saying 2 hours away isn't long. But that's not really the case. When neither one has a car yet it's hard. And trains are expensive. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending