The Student Room Group

If the US economy is good in 2020 will Trump get any credit??

Or will it still it be a case of 'Thanks Obama'?

It seems to me that if economy is good Obama gets the credit and if its bad Trump gets the blame.

I recall Paul Krugman saying the stock market would crash shortly after his inauguration (which turned out to be wrong), then said Trump can't take credit for first year as its still a transition period from Obama's economy (fair enough that seems reasonable) and then told us Trumps REAL economy would begin as soon as the tax cuts were passed.

Yet 18 months later, following the recent GDP and jobs numbers last week, its was once again from democrats and Obama fans all over social media 'thanks Obama'. CNN quickly attributing credit to Obama.

Now, from my perspective, I think NEITHER deserve much credit for the economy. Obama passed a $787 billion stimulus package nearly a decade ago, and yes he deserves credit for kickstarting the economy, the auto industry etc, since 2011 however, he's done very little with the economy, its effectively been on auto-pilot. Infact Obama wanted to pass a second stimulus package to address anemic wage growth, and an infrastructure bill (but the GOP kept blocking him).

So I think Obama's role in many ways minimal in a 2018/2019 economy, but Trump's effect is certainly minuscule as well.

Perhaps presidents get too much credit for economies they have little control over?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sharpshooter
Perhaps presidents get too much credit for economies they have little control over?

/thread
yes
He should. Trumps tax cuts are entirely responsible for the strength of the USA economy.
Reply 4
in what universe does Trump take the blame for anything? :confused:
Original post by Joleee
in what universe does Trump take the blame for anything? :confused:

Trump certainly gets the blame for a lot of things (which he deserves). But I see a lot of thanks Obama for a the economy at the moment from Trumps critics and I'm just wondering if the economy is still good in 2020 will Trump get any credit?
Reply 6
Original post by Contrary_Ann
He should. Trumps tax cuts are entirely responsible for the strength of the USA economy.

Are you sure about that? :rolleyes:
Either the US media are completely biased towards the democrats, or the American people are just dumb. Why are we surprised trump won the election, Bush won the election the year after he started a war.
Your right, Obama doesnt get credit for his acheivements. He came to power promising to reduce the national debt that under Bush had risen from 4Trillion to 8Trillion
Under Obama, far from falling, it raised from 8Trillionn to 19Trillion.
Credit where credits due.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending