chamio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to work in the NHS when I’m older and I also want to get s tattoo of a cross ✝️ on my finger. Does this count as an offensive tattoo?
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chamio)
I want to work in the NHS when I’m older and I also want to get s tattoo of a cross ✝️ on my finger. Does this count as an offensive tattoo?
It's not offensive, but it could be deemed a religious symbol which is probably somehow offensive to someone who is a little sensitive. The NHS may interpret it negatively as it's not easily hidden, so I'd ask yourself if a tattoo is more important than the career you want.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hannxm)
It's not offensive, but it could be deemed a religious symbol which is probably somehow offensive to someone who is a little sensitive. The NHS may interpret it negatively as it's not easily hidden, so I'd ask yourself if a tattoo is more important than the career you want.
Good answer!

(Original post by chamio)
One NHS trust's dress code states: Any prominent or potentially offensive tattoos should be covered as long as this complies with the Trust’s Hand Hygiene Procedure as wearing long sleeves prevents thorough hand hygiene procedures and are more likely to become contaminated during work activities.

http://www.southernhealth.nhs.uk/_re...ll/0/44077.pdf (section 6.5.2 in this file)

While I do know of many doctors who has tattoos, they are usually out of the way or concealed. So, as @hannxm says it's tattoo or (potentially) career)
Lblackburn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Each hosptial is different, the NHS trust I work at says tattoos are permitted as long as adequate time off is taken for the healing process. I have a full sleeve and a range of other tattoos.. I even have Chinese traditional script in a visible place which is not deemed as offensive.. the world is changing and it’s not something thats widely discriminated against anymore.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (333)
55.59%
I don't have everything I need (266)
44.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise