University Clearing Vacancy lists 2018

Watch
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Every year some universities publish their vacancies online before the official listings come from UCAS. While UCAS now leave vacancies available throughout July and August it's still handy to have all the links in one place.

A couple of years ago I pulled together the links to them all in this thread, in this thread and in this thread.)

Note: No listings - sometimes this is because the listings aren't available but often this is because the clearing listings look identical to their full course list. This could be true (every single course is in clearing) but it's best to double check directly and on UCAS.

DO NOT CALL ABOUT CLEARING VACANCIES UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY HOLDING YOUR RESULTS
Scottish listings:
Aberdeen
Abertay
Dundee: Scottish & EU students | Rest of UK| International students
Edinburgh; Scottish WP students | Rest of UK| International
Edinburgh Napier: Scottish & EU students | rest of UK students | International students
Glasgow
Glasgow Caledonian
Herriott Watt
Queen Margaret, Edinburgh
Robert Gordon
Stirling
Strathclyde (No spaces for Scottish/EU students)
University of the West of Scotland
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rest of UK listings
Aberystwyth
Anglia Ruskin
Arts Uni Bournemouth
Aston
AECC University College
Bangor
Bath Spa
Bath
Bedfordshire
Birkbeck
Birmingham
Birmingham City
University College Birmingham
Bolton
Bournemouth
Bradford College
Bradford
Brighton
Bristol
Brunel
Buckingham
Bucks new
Canterbury Christ Church
Cardiff
Cardiff Met
UCLan
City, London
Chester
Chichester
Coventry
UCA
Cumbria
De Montfort
Derby no list, just sign up for emails/calls
East Anglia
East London
Edge Hill
Essex
Exeter
Falmouth
Greenwich no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
Goldsmiths, London
Gloucestershire
Glyndwr
Hertfordshire
Huddersfield
Hull no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
Keele
Kent
Kings College London
Kingston
Lancaster list available from 15th August
Leeds Arts
Leeds Beckett
Leeds College of Music
Leeds no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
Leeds Trinity no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
Leicester no list, just sign up for calls on results day
Lincoln
Liverpool
Liverpool John Moores
London Met
Loughborough
Manchester no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
MMU
Marjon
Middlesex
Newcastle
Newman
Northampton
Northumbria
Norwich Arts
Nottingham
Nottingham Trent
Oxford Brookes
Portsmouth
Plymouth
Queen's Belfast No vacancies for NI or EU students
Queen Mary no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
Reading
Ravensbourne
Roehampton
Royal Holloway
St Georges
St Mary's Twickenham
Salford
Sheffield
Sheffield Hallam
University Centre Shrewsbury
SOAS
Solent
Southampton
South Bank
South Wales
Staffordshire
Suffolk no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
Sunderland no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
SAE - private provider - watch out for high fees not covered by loans
Surrey
Sussex
Swansea
Teesside
Trinity Saint David
Ulster: England, Scotland and Wales | Northern Ireland and EU (available from 16th August) | International Students
UAL
Warwick
UWE
West London
Westminster
Winchester no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
Wolverhampton no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
Worcester
York
York St John no vacancies listed just a sign up for emails
-----------------------------------------
Universities not in Clearing

Cambridge No adjustment or clearing spaces
Durham No vacancies
LSE (from 2017 awaiting update for 2018)
Imperial No clearing or adjustment
Oxford Also not in adjustment
UCL No statement yet - occasionally limited adjustment places.
St Andrews
--------------------------------------------------------
Universities to treat with caution in Clearing
Durham: they messed clearing applicants around holding on to applicants for weeks before rejecting many of them (after all other clearing places were gone). Unless they can give you SOLID reassurance that they will accept you through clearing I would recommend avoiding them completely.
Lancaster reportedly messed around a TSR user. Be sure to get names and job titles and confirmation of offers in writing.
Private universities/private colleges: these universities may well make you ineligible for student loans or may charge fees in excess of the amount of loan you can get to cover tuition fees. If they offer the course you want in the environment you want the go for it - but be sure to check the small print on their fees and funding before you commit to a place.
--------------------------------------------------------
quick guide to Clearing
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing for more info

- Search for your subject areas/key words (there may be more than one eg you might find some courses listed in Biology that aren't listed in Life Sciences and vice versa).

- Note down the universities and courses that you're interested in- get online and check out the websites for those universities - see if they mention the grades they want, find out a bit more about the course (eg does it have a compulsory year abroad or something that would put you off altogether).

- also double check that the course is still listed as having vacancies on the uni website.

- If you've got the grades and the course is still open and you fancy the uni RING THEIR HOTLINE

They'll ask questions, if you match what they're after they might make you a verbal offer.
Be sure to ask
a) how long the offer is valid for
b) what accommodation is available
c) if they're running any open days over the weekend for you to visit (and whether they can hold your offer til after then)

Repeat the ringing around until you're fed up of speaking. Collect a list of unis that have made you offers - DO NOT STOP AT THE FIRST OFFER.

At 3pm ish when track goes fully functional if you've got an offer you want to take up then add it on Track.

As long as you apply within the deadlines given then your uni should confirm this place within 24 hours (usually quicker) and it will show as your new Firm Unconditional place on Track.Then you just need to sort out accommodation and let student finance know about the new university/course

If you spot any lists of courses in Clearing then please link them below and I'll add them to the list.

Likewise if you come across a website of a university stating explicitly that they will not have vacancies in clearing/adjustment then link that too.
PQ
Rep:
?
I'm sure there's LOADS of universities missing from this list - please post links in the thread so I can update :yes:

(also if you spot a broken link!!!)
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So is the UCAS website a lie??? Because I got well happy seeing my course in clearing meaning there's spaces and theyre more likely to be a bit lenient
PQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by GalGirl101)
So is the UCAS website a lie??? Because I got well happy seeing my course in clearing meaning there's spaces and theyre more likely to be a bit lenient
It's not a lie but the course search on UCAS isn't always simple to use (and university websites tend to be more up to date)....plus on the uni sites you can find out about accommodation and more detail about the course (and how to enquire/make an informal application).
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Giving this thread a little bump for those finding the UCAS clearing search a little unwieldy.
ihatePE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/clearing/vacancies

you have missed out Cardiff
MajorFader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So I am guessing the clearing vacancies that are left from today’s SQA results will provide the foundation for the clearing list for next week’s A level results day? Correct me if I am wrong...
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
So I am guessing the clearing vacancies that are left from today’s SQA results will provide the foundation for the clearing list for next week’s A level results day? Correct me if I am wrong...
Most of the current clearing vacancies have been advertised for a while and SQA results won't make a huge difference to most unis/courses outside of Scotland.

Lots of unis are already advertising lots of quite popular/competitive courses, so there might not be lots of movement on A-level results day. However, in previous years a lot more courses become available on A-level results day- so who knows! Grade requirements may also change after A-level results are out.

If there's a course you're interested in that isn't currently advertising, I'd keep checking in the run up to results day.
MajorFader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Most of the current clearing vacancies have been advertised for a while and SQA results won't make a huge difference to most unis/courses outside of Scotland.

Lots of unis are already advertising lots of quite popular/competitive courses, so there might not be lots of movement on A-level results day. However, in previous years a lot more courses become available on A-level results day- so who knows! Grade requirements may also change after A-level results are out.

If there's a course you're interested in that isn't currently advertising, I'd keep checking in the run up to results day.
Last time I checked my course and my university was in the clearing list. Not sure if it is a good sign or not, especially since they are my firm.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
Last time I checked my course and my university was in the clearing list. Not sure if it is a good sign or not, especially since they are my firm.
At the moment, it doesn't mean anything for you, really- the unis don't have A-level results yet, so it doesn't mean lots of people have failed their A-levels. I'd be more worried if a uni suddenly started advertising my course in clearing next week (but even that wouldn't definitely mean anything)

It could mean (in no particular order):

-Your uni didn't get as many firm/insurance choices as they hoped for, and they might be a bit more lenient next week.

-Lots of applicants who already have their results (e.g. BTEC/Access course/IB) did badly, so they have been rejected and there are some extra spaces the uni wants to fill.

-The uni has lots of infrastructure set up for clearing this year, and the course can accommodate a few extra students. More students= more money for the uni and funding is an issue for most unis at the moment. In this situation, a uni probably wouldn't be lenient with students who have missed their grades.

Or it could mean something else!
PQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by ihatePE)
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/clearing/vacancies

you have missed out Cardiff
Thank you

I'm about to run through and add in some updates now
PQ
Rep:
?
All links added - let me know if you spot anymore
Pamster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Reading, Royal Holloway, Surrey
PQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pamster)
Reading, Royal Holloway, Surrey
Do you have links to their vacancy lists?
Pamster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Do you have links to their vacancy lists?
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/clearing
https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk. online form
https://www.reading.ac.uk/clearing/clearing-home.aspx
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Nottingham? Bath Spa?

EDIT for links:
https://www.bathspa.ac.uk/clearing/
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...djustment.aspx (It mentions Nottingham won't have their spaces published for UK/EU students until the 15th)
RepliedJewel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thanks for this
London Metropolitan University
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi everyone!

If any one is thinking of applying to London Met through clearing and has any questions about the process then please feel free to ask.

I'm here to help

Have a lovely day!

Hannah
Nottingham Trent University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello Everyone!

If you have any questions about applying to NTU through Clearing, let me know and I'll be on hand to answer your questions

A massive good luck to everyone getting their results!

Chris - NTU rep
RepliedJewel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know if this will help I had to ring up and apply for clearing courses for sunderland as I couldn't find any on their site. Giving people a heads up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (423)
56.48%
I don't have everything I need (326)
43.52%

Watched Threads