MPs don’t have job descriptions, but if they did… Watch

Official House of Commons
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Being an MP isn’t like other jobs. There’s no official job description or set hours. Instead, they are elected by their constituents and then choose how best to represent them, meaning that different MPs carry out their duties in different ways. Their constituents can then choose whether or not to re-elect them.

The role of an MP has evolved over time by convention. For example, decades ago some MPs rarely visited their constituencies. This would be incredibly unusual now, with most MPs holding regular constituency surgeries where constituents can share their views or ask for support. Most MPs deal with thousands of cases on behalf of their constituents every year.

In addition to their work in their constituencies, they speak in debates in the House of Commons, work on committees scrutinising the Government or legislation and have meetings with a wide variety of groups. Some also work as ministers in the Government, whips or shadow ministers.

Many people are surprised to hear that there is no set job description. There is a Code of Conduct (which you can read here) which sets out the “standards and principles of conduct expected of all Members in undertaking their duties”. This has a small section on the “duties of Members” but is certainly not a detailed job description.

The role of an MP is clearly very varied, but should there be an official job description?

If you think there should be, what would you put in it?
  • How many hours a week should they work? Should they get overtime?
  • Where should an MP work? How much time should they spend in the Chamber? In committees? In meetings? In their constituencies? Or should they decide for themselves?
  • How much annual leave should they have?
  • What are the essential duties and responsibilities of the job?
  • Are any qualifications or experience required? If so, what?
  • Who should MPs be accountable to and how?

We’d be really interested to see what job descriptions TSR users come up with!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Official House of Commons)
Being an MP isn’t like other jobs. There’s no official job description or set hours. Instead, they are elected by their constituents and then choose how best to represent them, meaning that different MPs carry out their duties in different ways. Their constituents can then choose whether or not to re-elect them.

The role of an MP has evolved over time by convention. For example, decades ago some MPs rarely visited their constituencies. This would be incredibly unusual now, with most MPs holding regular constituency surgeries where constituents can share their views or ask for support. Most MPs deal with thousands of cases on behalf of their constituents every year.

In addition to their work in their constituencies, they speak in debates in the House of Commons, work on committees scrutinising the Government or legislation and have meetings with a wide variety of groups. Some also work as ministers in the Government, whips or shadow ministers.

Many people are surprised to hear that there is no set job description. There is a Code of Conduct (which you can read here) which sets out the “standards and principles of conduct expected of all Members in undertaking their duties”. This has a small section on the “duties of Members” but is certainly not a detailed job description.

The role of an MP is clearly very varied, but should there be an official job description?

If you think there should be, what would you put in it?
  • How many hours a week should they work? Should they get overtime?
  • Where should an MP work? How much time should they spend in the Chamber? In committees? In meetings? In their constituencies? Or should they decide for themselves?
  • How much annual leave should they have?
  • What are the essential duties and responsibilities of the job?
  • Are any qualifications or experience required? If so, what?
  • Who should MPs be accountable to and how?

We’d be really interested to see what job descriptions TSR users come up with!
I asked my MP a question by email - he replied on HoC paper and envelope through the mail.
He then emailed me promotional materials addressed to the wrong name.
I asked about that on Twitter and he blocked me.

Constituents (not local party members) should be able to petition for a byelection or deselection of an MP.

Those breaking the Codes of Conduct should be barred from public office for life (and not allowed to remain as MPs and given jobs in the government).
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have a dark past? Are you a psychopath with next to no redeeming qualities? Do you like stealing money? If so, have you thought about a career in the House of Commons? We’d love to hear from you. Don’t know anything about politics? Don’t worry, that’ll be an advantage in this line of work. Our pay is competive with a wide range of bonuses available from an interesting list of clientele and the potential to win fabulous prizes like s trip to Richard Branson’s love dungeon. If interested please email your CV to our head of recruitment at [email protected]

*succesful candidates will be required to provide one souls and at least twenty blood sacrifices. Due to the nature of the work, this requires a high degree of confidentiality which if breached will. S dealt with harshly. Unsuccessful applicants may be eligible to join our venture capitalist/ journalist /civil service positions.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
I asked my MP a question by email - he replied on HoC paper and envelope through the mail.
He then emailed me promotional materials addressed to the wrong name.
I asked about that on Twitter and he blocked me.

Constituents (not local party members) should be able to petition for a byelection or deselection of an MP.

Those breaking the Codes of Conduct should be barred from public office for life (and not allowed to remain as MPs and given jobs in the government).
If 10% of constitiuents sign a petition there can be a by-election I believe.
username334839
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Should MPs be expected to behave in a higher moral and ethical standard compared to Joe Public?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rule 1 of being a Conservative MP: make sure you can always see Micheal Gove.
Rule 1 of being a Labour mp: dislike your leader
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (20)
28.57%
No (38)
54.29%
Don't know (12)
17.14%

Watched Threads