The Student Room Group

Are poor kids usually bad at STEM subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bestbarbar
I would actually argue the exact opposite, that kids from poorer backgrounds can be even more likely to study STEM subjects than not.

Firstly, from experience during my undergrad, I had very few people doing maths with me from independent schools (I did maths). In fact they saw it as a trophy, that they did a hard degree from scratch and not been ‘taught’ to do it.

I think lots of people from less privileged backgrounds might choose stem cause they know there’s money at the end of it, or cause they found it ‘easier’ subjects than others, so laziness prevailed or they accidentally fell into it because it’s what they liked. Plus if ‘genius’ is identified in state schools, you could argue they’ll be encouraged to do stem more than others, particularly maths and medics.

Secondly, while this is a very select view, it’s worth taking a look at Oxfords split between state and independent schools for each subject (page 17)
https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/Oxford%202018%20Annual%20Admissions%20Report.pdf

In fact it’s stem subjects which tend to do slightly better for state. I think it’s because when you’re at school from a more privileged background, pressure is put on to go to uni, but not ‘which’ Subject, so independent school kids will do what they either did average at or enjoy, like English, classics, geography. I think this is a ‘freedom’ element if privilidged, which is no matter what you do you’ll end up on your feet (don’t know what it is to struggle in the rat race of life/mum and daddy will always help) so just do what you enjoy. Those less privileged are powered by money, security and what they find easy.

Although at the other end of the spectrum, you’ll have poorer kids considering uni to be an achievement in general, and not care about the course, where they consider tourism at ‘steak-house technical college’ to be just as good as a top 10 Russel group for comp scI.

Summary: I think it depends. :smile:

I read in an engineering journal that coming from a privileged background tends to acts as a disincentive to study academically difficult subjects, like engineering, at university. However this doesn't necessarily mean that the vast majority of undergrads from privileged backgrounds studying classics, literature, history etc. failed to get good grades in STEM subject at GCSE level. It's just that they stopped studying STEM subjects beyond GCSE level.

Mathematics is the most popular A Level at a local independent school but very few students study the subject (or a variation of it) at university.
Reply 21
Original post by Arran90
Are children from poorer families usually bad at STEM subjects compared with non-STEM subjects or is it just popular opinion that they are bad at / not expected to do well at STEM subjects?

You haven't even established your OP thesis and now you want to complicate it further...

Original post by Arran90
It's all a complicated situation and potentially a function of several variables - although the establishment may try to simplify things (for themselves) by looking only at one variable at a time.

Does gender and ethnicity play a large part? For example, are kids from poor families in certain ethnic groups more strongly encouraged to excel in STEM subjects (or actually excel in STEM subjects) over kids from other ethnic groups or white indigenous British kids are? Are girls from poor families in certain ethnic groups discouraged from excelling in STEM or families actually believe that girls should be bad at STEM subjects because they are deemed masculine? Are kids from poor families where English isn't their first language generally better at STEM subjects than humanities because of issues relating to language barrier? Is the reverse true for kids from poor families where English is the first or only language? Do certain identifiable groups have strengths and / or weaknesses in particular STEM subjects?

smh

First, show that "children from poorer families (are) usually bad at STEM subjects compared with non-STEM subjects".

You didn't acknowledge my post:

Original post by Doonesbury
Indeed, according to that Oxford analysis CompSci has the highest share of Acorn 4&5 (ie the most socially disadvantaged) of any course at Oxford, while Classics has the lowest.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 22
Indeed, according to that Oxford analysis CompSci has the highest share of Acorn 4&5 (ie the most socially disadvantaged) of any course at Oxford, while Classics has the lowest.

That may well be true but I think it's dangerous to extrapolate this figure or consider it to be a snapshot of the bigger picture. Only a very small fraction of college leavers go to Oxford anyway.

The demographic picture in higher education could be strikingly different to school age students.

There could be a potential scenario of kids from poorer families generally being worse than kids from more affluent families at STEM subjects at secondary school age, but a higher proportion of the fraction which is good at STEM subjects takes them beyond GCSE level - hence the situation with the computer science vs classics at Oxford.

As I previously stated, I'm more interested at school level rather than higher education.
Reply 23
Original post by Arran90
That may well be true but I think it's dangerous to extrapolate this figure or consider it to be a snapshot of the bigger picture. Only a very small fraction of college leavers go to Oxford anyway.

The demographic picture in higher education could be strikingly different to school age students.

There could be a potential scenario of kids from poorer families generally being worse than kids from more affluent families at STEM subjects at secondary school age, but a higher proportion of the fraction which is good at STEM subjects takes them beyond GCSE level - hence the situation with the computer science vs classics at Oxford.

As I previously stated, I'm more interested at school level rather than higher education.

Ok, so provide some data that supports your thesis... as we've already established - there isn't any.
Reply 24
Ok, so provide some data that supports your thesis... as we've already established - there isn't any.

I'm the one who is asking for data!

A parenting forum might provide more faithful information than TSR with the demographics it has although 'hard' data might not exist.
Reply 25
Original post by Arran90
I'm the one who is asking for data!

A parenting forum might provide more faithful information than TSR with the demographics it has although 'hard' data might not exist.

Or perhaps there isn't any data because no such relationship has been shown to convincingly exist (as per the data that was already linked).
Reply 26
Or perhaps there isn't any data because no such relationship has been shown to convincingly exist (as per the data that was already linked).

In the absence of hard data (at this moment in time) it appears like you are trying to brush the issue under the carpet.

I'm concerned that kids from certain backgrounds are being written off by the education system or wider society because of assumed expectations that may be erroneous.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Arran90
In the absence of hard data (at this moment in time) it appears like you are trying to brush the issue under the carpet.

I'm concerned that kids from certain backgrounds are being written off by the education system or wider society because of assumed expectations that may be erroneous.

There's no brushing involved. There's a very clear relationship between social background and a general lack of progression to university, and that's what needs to be tackled. And indeed progression rates for POLAR Q1&2 have been consistently improving in recent years.

I simply don't see a need to target STEM specifically any more than it already is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
There's a very clear relationship between social background and a general lack of progression to university, and that's what needs to be tackled.

University is not the be all and end all of everything. My own stance is that university is not always the best choice for children regardless of the socioeconomic status of their parents. I deplore the idea that school education should first and foremost be designed as a stepping stone for university rather than a useful education in its own right or a preparation for non-university higher education / apprenticeships / industry training courses.

If there's anything that needs to be tackled in schools in relation to children from poorer families accessing university then it's C grade mediocrity I have written about several times. Perhaps if league tables were abolished then secondary schools could focus more effort onto enabling students to achieve top grades rather than meeting government targets.

As I have previously stated, this discussion is about school age children and not university.
Reply 29
Original post by Arran90
University is not the be all and end all of everything. My own stance is that university is not always the best choice for children regardless of the socioeconomic status of their parents. I deplore the idea that school education should first and foremost be designed as a stepping stone for university rather than a useful education in its own right or a preparation for non-university higher education / apprenticeships / industry training courses.

If there's anything that needs to be tackled in schools in relation to children from poorer families accessing university then it's C grade mediocrity I have written about several times. Perhaps if league tables were abolished then secondary schools could focus more effort onto enabling students to achieve top grades rather than meeting government targets.

As I have previously stated, this discussion is about school age children and not university.

I didn't say it was the be all. It's *a* measure of progression though.

Id be wiling to expect progression to apprenticeship has also improved amongst Q1&2 POLARs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
It's *a* measure of progression though.

It may indeed be a measure of progression in the eyes of governments and the educational community but whether it actually benefits children from poorer families is a completely different issue.

I'm interested in knowing which school subjects children from particular communities tend to be good and bad at, and why.
Firstly, I'm sure there are some students from poorer families with amazingly attentive parents, so please don't take what I'm about to say offensively.

I feel that pupils from lower income families are likely to be lesser able at school, because they just don't have the same chances to show what they're capable of. A lot of poorer families I knew growing up expected older siblings to help look after younger ones, as it always seemed to be the poorest families that worked the longest hours in the most rubbish jobs. Hats off to them for the commitment to that, though.

Also, because those parents may have other things to think about - survival on a daily basis is much more important at the time than exams - pupils most likely don't get the same level of encouragement.

Generalising again.. poorer families often had parents who performed poorly at school themselves, thus struggled in the job market. Therefore they simply don't know how to help their children, as they don't have the knowledge.

Finally, richer families can afford lots of things to help their children, such as buying revision guides, computers to revise on and other things. Poorer families often struggle to even get the pen and paper kids need to revise.

There are lots of kids from lower income families who do well - but I believe they need much more praise than they currently get, as it will almost certainly have been a battle since day 1.
In my school, the poorer students get worst grades [than richer students] or don't come across as "intelligent". However, many poorer students are also "intelligent", especially in STEM. They work logically using their head and common sense, so, no I don't think poorer students are worse at STEM.
Reply 33
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Finally, richer families can afford lots of things to help their children, such as buying revision guides, computers to revise on and other things. Poorer families often struggle to even get the pen and paper kids need to revise.

Is culture also a factor rather than pure finance? I have known parents from poor families who tell me that countless other parents from poor and lower class families never buy their children educational books but still find money for ****, booze, takeaways, designer clothes, Sky TV, expensive toys, Christmas tat, decadent parties, and other frivolous stuff. They have raised questions whether large numbers of parents believe that school should provide 100% of education and parents 0%.
Reply 34
Original post by Arran90
It may indeed be a measure of progression in the eyes of governments and the educational community but whether it actually benefits children from poorer families is a completely different issue.

I'm interested in knowing which school subjects children from particular communities tend to be good and bad at, and why.

Why do you think "children from particular communities" shouldn't progress to universities or apprenticeships?

Original post by Arran90
Is culture also a factor rather than pure finance? I have known parents from poor families who tell me that countless other parents from poor and lower class families never buy their children educational books but still find money for ****, booze, takeaways, designer clothes, Sky TV, expensive toys, Christmas tat, decadent parties, and other frivolous stuff. They have raised questions whether large numbers of parents believe that school should provide 100% of education and parents 0%.

So your issue isn't really about STEM success for poorer children. It's that "lower class families" have decadent parties and spend their money on frivolous stuff. I'm glad we've got that clear now.

And as an apparent home-schooling expert why are you "concerned" about the state education system anyway?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Arran90

Yes, quite possibly. It's so difficult not to generalise but I knew quite a few families like this, too.
I usually find claims about "university/education" being a rich middle-class thing, absolutely laughable. There's a reason why rich and poor exist in a capitalist society...it's very simple. One group, have worked themselves through hard-work/dedication plus ambition and they are in the prosperous situation for that reason alone. The poor people, it's vice versa. Rich/middle-class parents will always instill education into the minds of their children from a young age and make that their priority. The exception here is with the poor Asian communities, who are very ambitious.

Education has nothing got to do with being middle-class, it all comes down to ambition in life. It just happens to logically work out that the middle class will encourage their children to work hard in life. Whilst, the working-class will have zero ambition in life....even if there is ambition, there will be no hard-work.

In UK, majority of the white working-class girls become mothers by the age of 20, ending any sort of ambition they may have in life. In fact, intellectualism is commonly mocked by the working-class and anti-intellectualism is the culture of the working class, so of course poorer children will always underachieve than their richer peers.

The government will never be able to change or improve the standard of the education of the poor working class people. The resources are there for the taking....but it's not being used.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by CFC DE BRUYNE
I usually find claims about "university/education" being a rich middle-class thing, absolutely laughable. There's a reason why rich and poor exist in a capitalist society...it's very simple. One group, have worked themselves through hard-work/dedication plus ambition and they are in the prosperous situation for that reason alone. The poor people, it's vice versa. Rich/middle-class parents will always instill education into the minds of their children from a young age and make that their priority. The exception here is with the poor Asian communities, who are very ambitious.

Education has nothing got to do with being middle-class, it all comes down to ambition in life. It just happens to logically work out that the middle class will encourage their children to work hard in life. Whilst, the working-class will have zero ambition in life....even if there is ambition, there will be no hard-work.

In UK, majority of the white working-class girls become mothers by the age of 20, ending any sort of ambition they may have in life. In fact, intellectualism is commonly mocked by the working-class and anti-intellectualism is the culture of the working class, so of course poorer children will always underachieve than their richer peers.

The government will never be able to change or improve the standard of the education of the poor working class people. The resources are there for the taking....but it's not being used.

There's some truth to this although I hold the view that hard work is often overrated and does not always pay off financially. Plenty of working class folk work their backsides off for a living but are also anti-intellectual and hold a negative attitude towards education. There is also the culture of inverted snobbery that pervades working class families - we are working class and proud of it - which discourages children from having ambition or seeking out more middle class or professional occupations.

A colleague at work came from a working class family from the West Midlands and became a software engineer. His parents strongly believed in the concept of an honest day’s work over studying for higher paying more skilled career. He studied for the 11 plus exam at home in his own time using books he bought with his own money, as his primary school did not prepare Y6 kids for the exam, whilst his parents thought that he should be out playing football with other lads of his age. He passed the 11 plus and went to grammar school much to his parent’s dismay although he only ended up with two O Levels. He did not attend university although he completed some computing course with the Open University but otherwise is largely self taught.
Why are so many TSR people now coming out with opinion pieces on an apparently 'popular opinion' that nobody has ever heard of in their lives? Seriously, it's endemic right now
Reply 39
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Why are so many TSR people now coming out with opinion pieces on an apparently 'popular opinion' that nobody has ever heard of in their lives? Seriously, it's endemic right now

^this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending