The Student Room Group

Do I reject my conditional firm offer and go through Clearing or wait on results?

I have a conditional firm offer from one university but after deep research and thought I've decided that this university is not right for my career choice and now I want to reject this conditional firm for another university that fits in better with my career plans. I do not have my A-level results yet so I'm wary about calling up the uni to decline my offer unless things go wrong with results, so I was wondering if you could give me any advice on how to proceed? Many thanks!
It is a good idea to contact UCAS they will be able to help you on there apply to offers on their undergraduate question and answer help page. You can also contact the university for further advise.

Best of Luck

Dorothy- Student Ambassador
Original post by Jordi_Carter
I have a conditional firm offer from one university but after deep research and thought I've decided that this university is not right for my career choice and now I want to reject this conditional firm for another university that fits in better with my career plans. I do not have my A-level results yet so I'm wary about calling up the uni to decline my offer unless things go wrong with results, so I was wondering if you could give me any advice on how to proceed? Many thanks!

There's really 2 ways you can go from here:
1. Contact the uni, explain you don't want to take up your place whatever your results and ask that once they get your results they release you into clearing. If you didn't achieve the grades needed to get into your firm and they rejected you rather than released you (as is their right if you didn't make the grades) then you'd have to go through the same process with your insurance uni.
2. Sit tight for now. On results day you may have achieved better than your offer in which case you could use adjustment so you don't lose that place while you are looking at other unis. Or if you haven't achieved better you would have to ask them to release you ASAP, while calling for a clearing offer from the other uni and hoping they will release you before the deadline for any clearing offer

Either option has pros and cons, and it's difficult to know which would be best. Is the uni you're looking at course in clearing at the moment?
Original post by Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep
It is a good idea to contact UCAS they will be able to help you on there apply to offers on their undergraduate question and answer help page. You can also contact the university for further advise.

Best of Luck

Dorothy- Student Ambassador

I really don't see what UCAS can do? They'd just say to contact the uni I'm pretty sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
There's really 2 ways you can go from here:
1. Contact the uni, explain you don't want to take up your place whatever your results and ask that once they get your results they release you into clearing. If you didn't achieve the grades needed to get into your firm and they rejected you rather than released you (as is their right if you didn't make the grades) then you'd have to go through the same process with your insurance uni.
2. Sit tight for now. On results day you may have achieved better than your offer in which case you could use adjustment so you don't lose that place while you are looking at other unis. Or if you haven't achieved better you would have to ask them to release you ASAP, while calling for a clearing offer from the other uni and hoping they will release you before the deadline for any clearing offer

Either option has pros and cons, and it's difficult to know which would be best. Is the uni you're looking at course in clearing at the moment?

I really don't see what UCAS can do? They'd just say to contact the uni I'm pretty sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the course I am looking into, Drama with Film Studies, is on the Clearing page, and the offer is AAB-ABB, but the course at the uni of which I've been offered is BBB, so I'm slightly wary, but I have a very strong feeling that this is the course for me!
Yes, the course I am looking into, Drama with Film Studies, is on the Clearing page, and the offer is AAB-ABB, but the course at the uni of which I've been offered is BBB, so I'm slightly wary, but I have a very strong feeling that this is the course for me!

In which case I personally would choose option 2. That way on results day hopefully you'll have got ABB or higher and be able to use adjustment which is the most risk free option, or otherwise you could call them up and see if you'd be eligible for a offer before asking to be released. That way the only big risk is that they won't release you in time rather than a larger risk of not getting a clearing offer.
If the course is very different to your current firm choice then I'd suggest writing a PS for the new course in preparation in case they want one :smile:

On top of the info above it'd be worth contacting the university you're interested in switching to and asking whether they'd need an audition/showreel for that course for clearing. That would give you a few days to prepare if it's required :smile:
Original post by PQ
On top of the info above it'd be worth contacting the university you're interested in switching to and asking whether they'd need an audition/showreel for that course for clearing. That would give you a few days to prepare if it's required :smile:

I've been in touch with the uni and all that is needed is the grade entry requirements! In regards to the conditional firm, my course is single honours Drama, so there's not much difference apart from the fact that I will be applying for a joint honours with Film Studies, so I think I will go with the second option, to wait for the 16th and see what happens with my results. Thanks so much for all the advice, this has helped a lot!
Sit tight for results day! Get your grades, then phone up the university you want to go to, explain your situation, get a verbal offer from them, then ring up your conditional university, say you no longer want the place and for them to release you into clearing, so you can apply to your preferred course. If you get stuck, contact UCAS, they help a lot, I kept swapping and changing all the time, until I made a final choice! :smile:
Original post by Flellophocus
Sit tight for results day! Get your grades, then phone up the university you want to go to, explain your situation, get a verbal offer from them, then ring up your conditional university, say you no longer want the place and for them to release you into clearing, so you can apply to your preferred course. If you get stuck, contact UCAS, they help a lot, I kept swapping and changing all the time, until I made a final choice! :smile:

I absolutely will do now, thank you so much for your advice! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending