Media treatment of Corbyn's "anti semitism" an utter disgrace Watch

generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am no fan of Corbyn, I couldn't be further from him politically.

BUT, there is such a thing as giving a point of view a fair hearing, even though you disagree with it passionately, and such a thing also as media bias as a threat to our very democracy.

And what we are seeing in the media $hitstorm over anti semitism in the Labour Party is nothing short of appalling.

Clearly the right wing of the Labour Party are out to get the Corbynistas, and equally clearly the mainstream media are sticking the boot in. It is an utterly cynical attempt to totally trash the Labour left. There is no principle at stake here. It is raw, crude, politics with the media the battering ram.

Sure Corbyn played into their hands with his definition of anti semitism but the media overreaction has been nothing short of grotesque.

Step outside the boring political mainstream in this country and you have no chance of a fair hearing. None.

Yet I wouldn't be convinced it will work. The power of the mainstream media is in precipitous decline. Does anyone on this website trust it to be objective and impartial? Seriously??

It t'wasn't ever thus. A couple of decades ago a story on BBC News say, would have been treated as highly trustworthy and credible. You really can't say that about the BBC's treatment of Corbyn.
imperium_viribus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by generallee)
I am no fan of Corbyn, I couldn't be further from him politically.

BUT, there is such a thing as giving a point of view a fair hearing, even though you disagree with it passionately, and such a thing also as media bias as a threat to our very democracy.

And what we are seeing in the media $hitstorm over anti semitism in the Labour Party is nothing short of appalling.

Clearly the right wing of the Labour Party are out to get the Corbynistas, and equally clearly the mainstream media are sticking the boot in. It is an utterly cynical attempt to totally trash the Labour left. There is no principle at stake here. It is raw, crude, politics with the media the battering ram.

Sure Corbyn played into their hands with his definition of anti semitism but the media overreaction has been nothing short of grotesque.

Step outside the boring political mainstream in this country and you have no chance of a fair hearing. None.

Yet I wouldn't be convinced it will work. The power of the mainstream media is in precipitous decline. Does anyone on this website trust it to be objective and impartial? Seriously??

It t'wasn't ever thus. A couple of decades ago a story on BBC News say, would have been treated as highly trustworthy and credible. You really can't say that about the BBC's treatment of Corbyn.
Certainly, the liberal centrist media is out to smear any political figure who ventures out of their narrow paradigm but I find Corbyn and generally the activist left's obsession with the Israel/Palestine conflict quite odd. Is it the Palestine Party or the Labour Party?
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by imperium_viribus)
Certainly, the liberal centrist media is out to smear any political figure who ventures out of their narrow paradigm but I find Corbyn and generally the activist left's obsession with the Israel/Palestine conflict quite odd. Is it the Palestine Party or the Labour Party?
Agreed.

It is much wider than that, though. The non centrist left as a whole has a problem with political Islam because it views it as an ally in the assault on western capitalism, rather than what it in fact is, deeply reactionary. Nick Cohen writes extensively and well on the subject in his book, "What's Left?"
RENIBOY
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Honestly, I am utterly shocked and confounded be the plain dishonesty of the Mainstream Media and the twisting of language for political gain.

The definition of anti-Semitism has changed almost 3 times in the last century to suit political gain. Now simply being Anti-Israel is being anti-Semitic and frankly it's shocking. This is a pretty much openly apartheid state commiting genocide in full view of the International community. How dare they?

For many years, the alt-right has believed in the existence of Jewish domination over the press, traditionally I am one of the most skeptical people of whether hidden hands behind the stage are manipulating the media but what I've seen over the last couple of weeks has genuinely terrified me and I'm inclined to believe this is true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads