The Student Room Group

Contract law Fact Pattern Desperate for help PLEASE !!!

Hello everyone! I am in a trouble with the factpattern for my contract law exam. I just don't know how to solve it even after I have learnt the whole book of Ewan McKendrick. Please, please, please help me with my questions!!! Otherwise, I am dead...

FACT PATTERN:

The only good news for Jimi and Maria was a letter from Jimi’s younger brother Boris, himself a successful tennis celebrity, which arrived in May 2016. He said: “I fully support you. Do not give up on this. I guarantee I’ll lend you three months expenses to cover your rent and the re-payments on the bank loan.” With this reassurance, and much gratitude to Boris, Jimi committed himself to continuing with the project. However, when Jimi spoke to Boris about the promise recently, Boris said that he has recently had to pay a large sum of unpaid tax to the Inland Revenue and that, for the moment at least, was in no position to lend money to anyone. With much apology, therefore, he declined to offer Jimi any assistance.

QUESTION:
Considering the reassurance given by Boris to Jimi to help him and Maria with their cash-flow problems, advise Jimi whether Boris is contractually bound by his promised loan.

If anyone can help me with this, I would be very grateful !!!!!!!!
Just noticed that this was for an exam, so i've removed my response.

Just go through the topics step by step and think logically. The only advice i'm willing to give is read the case of Eastwood v Kenyon.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply