?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
[DELETED]
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First decide what kind of book you are most interested in writing- fiction or non-fiction.
Consider what type of genre you want to write.
A romance novel, horror book, children's picture book, book of poems, travel guide, autobiography, how to guide.

Next step is to research similar books that you enjoy and have sold well.
Look at interviews and advice given by successful authors.
Read writing magazines and websites giving tips on how to improve your writing skills.

Then draft an initial outline of your ideas and brief list of characters.
If a picture book for children you might want to write out a first draft of the story.
For longer adult books- a book outline with information about all main characters and planned chapter outlines.

Then a first draft of the book, followed by proofreading and any corrections or rewrites.
After that try to get feedback from a professional writer or editor- somebody who does not know you very well.
It is best not to ask your friends or family because they are more likely to want to be polite and encouraging, rather than give you feedback about what needs to improve to make the story better.

Edit your writing based on your feedback, this will probably involve some rewrites.
When you are happy with your manuscript, if you want a publishing deal start looking for a literary agent.
If you want to self-publish, research the best options.

Best of luck!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m currently 11000 words into my first draft, been meaning to write for 2 years now and the first one I did back in 2018 I lost motivation at 6000 words as I hadn’t even planned it. Best way to learn is to just start, you soon learn what works and what does not
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
what is it about?
It’s not going to be good 😂 basically a businessman loses his job, boss is being threatened by a gang who makes him try and kill him. He then dedicates his time to building his life back. (It’s crap I know)
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It’s not going to be good 😂 basically a businessman loses his job, boss is being threatened by a gang who makes him try and kill him. He then dedicates his time to building his life back. (It’s crap I know)
Sounds an interesting thriller or mystery.
Don't forget to add the unstable political context of Brexit, rise of populism is multiple countries, brutality of organised crime elements, strong narration and memorable characters.
Good luck!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Sounds an interesting thriller or mystery.
Don't forget to add the unstable political context of Brexit, rise of populism is multiple countries, brutality of organised crime elements, strong narration and memorable characters.
Good luck!
Thanks for the help, adding brexit actually would tie in well. Might look at making the gang an extension of a corrupt politician (a fictional one) so I don’t get done for slander 😂
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s all we get: you want to write a book?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.81%
No (192)
76.19%

Watched Threads