ineedthosegrades
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi people, I just bought the OCR CGP books for biology and chemistry and want to make notes using them this summer holiday before starting on A2. However, I am not sure how to because CGP books are supposed to be condensed versions of the original OCR books meaning 98% of what is on the page is important to know and write down, so I would end up copying the whole book.

Any advice on how to go about it so I learn everything effectively and dont waste my time would be very appreciated.
have
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ineedthosegrades)
Hi people, I just bought the OCR CGP books for biology and chemistry and want to make notes using them this summer holiday before starting on A2. However, I am not sure how to because CGP books are supposed to be condensed versions of the original OCR books meaning 98% of what is on the page is important to know and write down, so I would end up copying the whole book.

Any advice on how to go about it so I learn everything effectively and dont waste my time would be very appreciated.
Why are you making notes from a CGP textbook? Who told you that was a good idea lmao?
tbh, I wouldn't even recommend buying a CGP textbook, but whatever.

Copying text down is such a slow and labourious way to waste time. Who told you that it's a good way to learn content.

If you don't know the content, put your pen down, and just read. Read the normal textbook even, it's not like you're 2 days before the exam and have to desperately cram, you have time. Read the longer textbook. Do you properly understand what it's telling you. Can you follow the logic? If it still doesn't sit well in your mind, get on the computer and do more research until you understand it, review your class notes. Your class notes should be primarily the thing you do your most of your revision from.
And then start doing practice exam-style questions until you get more and more fluent at the concepts.

That's the way you revise sciences, not by mindlessly copying text down like some sort of scribe
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are you going to be doing with your notes? Reading them?
If you are, then you're wasting your time because you could have just read the books and saved yourself time. Except even that's not a good way of revising by itself.
ineedthosegrades
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In biology and chemistry, there is a lot of memory, not just understanding. I was thinking of making active notes where I read a page, make up questions related to the topic and answering them as an exam question from memory.
Avagirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Making notes is really useful especially in biology and chemistry as there is a lot to remember so taking notes you can keep looking back at them to remind yourself, that's what revision is all about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (19)
9.09%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (127)
60.77%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.35%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
13.88%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.91%

Watched Threads