The Student Room Group

Interesting places to visit in London?

The dumb thing is that I actually live in London (albeit, right on the outskirts). The other dumb thing is that I've never actually gone to Central London alone. Been having friendship stress these past few days and just want to go somewhere by myself.

I don't care about the big places like Buckingham palace, London Eye etc. I've been to Camden, and I like it. Anyone know any "hidden gems"? Could be shops, viewpoints, literally anything really.

For example, there was a really nice quaint Korean dessert place my friend discovered.
Original post by Anygy
The dumb thing is that I actually live in London (albeit, right on the outskirts). The other dumb thing is that I've never actually gone to Central London alone. Been having friendship stress these past few days and just want to go somewhere by myself.

I don't care about the big places like Buckingham palace, London Eye etc. I've been to Camden, and I like it. Anyone know any "hidden gems"? Could be shops, viewpoints, literally anything really.

For example, there was a really nice quaint Korean dessert place my friend discovered.

London Transport Museum - that's pretty cool.

I used to live (kinda still do now and again) near London and tbh I don't really know many gems either :tongue:
same. lived here my whole life but feel ashamed of the fact that i have not visited many places in london, literally haven't visited most of london and i'm forever discovering new places i didn't even know existed.
Original post by Anygy

There's this really nice restaurant called Wahaca - it's a Mexican restaurant near Tottenham Court Road. Went there a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Also, the British Museum has a really cool exhibition about this guy called Rodin on atm.
Original post by Blue_Cow

I used to live (kinda still do now and again) near London and tbh I don't really know many gems either :tongue:

ikr honestly for me it's just way too much effort to get up early and catch a bunch of trains to central, unless my friends are making me do it lol.
Original post by georgiecmpalmer
There's this really nice restaurant called Wahaca - it's a Mexican restaurant near Tottenham Court Road. Went there a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Also, the British Museum has a really cool exhibition about this guy called Rodin on atm.

Rodin? Never heard of him, maybe I'll go and find out :u: thanks!
Original post by Blue_Cow

will check it out, thnx!!
Original post by Anygy
Rodin? Never heard of him, maybe I'll go and find out :u: thanks!

Algd, maybe do a google search of Rodin before you go to get an idea of some of his work!
Greenwich has lots of places to visit

https://www.rmg.co.uk/

Or just get some food from the market and chill out in the park. (We usually get the DLR to Cutty Sark).

https://www.greenwichmarket.london/guide/category/market-food

You can also get a river boat from the pier- or walk under the Thames via the Foot Tunnel.
Original post by Isinglass
Greenwich has lots of places to visit

https://www.rmg.co.uk/

Or just get some food from the market and chill out in the park. (We usually get the DLR to Cutty Sark).

https://www.greenwichmarket.london/guide/category/market-food

You can also get a river boat from the pier- or walk under the Thames via the Foot Tunnel.

I actually live not too far from Greenwich so I'm quite familiar with it :smile: Still, not such a bad idea to laze around in the park with some ice cream or smth.....

Indeed! I do sort of lump in Chinatown with the rest of the big tourist-y places though :\
Original post by Anygy

Last time me and my sister went, we had dinner at a place called VQ. Its within walking distance of tottenham court road station.
Id also definitely recommend going to M+M world in leicester square.
The market in Covent Garden is worth a visit if you just fancy mooching around.

Have you ever been to The British Library? It's very peaceful and they often have great exhibitions on.

I recently went to a cafe called The Attendant in Foley Street - it's actually located in an old Victorian public lavatory, but I promise it's not as gross as that sounds! Definitely a quirky place to visit :h: Lol

My friends have been talking about the artworks in Elephant and Castle - sounds like there's a lot to do there

A bit creepy, but I've always wanted to visit the Horniman museum - lots of taxidermy(!) I know I'd be super squeamish and grossed out but I'm sure it'd be interesting! :^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest