The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ceejidiot
Go on Glassdoor.com and see how much corporations actually pay............You're not getting a £35k a year grad position anywhere unless you're one of the top 1% of engineering students in the country.

£35k a year is what corporations pay relatively senior managers. Not university graduates ffs

I've never met a pub general manager (a pretty easy job where one essentially sets his own hours) that earns less than 45k a year after bonus.

In terms of graduates, my brother earned 36k straight out of university. Fresh graduates there now earn something like 50.

To make the most money out of a degree, do a degree in economics, computer science or engineering from a top 10 uni (preferably Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE or KCL) and get a job at an investment bank after doing a placement at one. There's a reason why Imperial graduates have the highest average salaries out of university and it's not because engineering firms are giving them higher salaries for being alumni of Imperial College London, it's because half of them end up working in finance.

It's hardly a desirable life though, especially if you're front office. 70+ hour work weeks, and your arse is on the line literally every single day. No wonder so many of them end up on coke. One I know of currently traded that life for working in a consultancy firm and his average work day is something like 7am-10pm (and often stretches to midnight). I struggle to decide which of the two is worse.
Original post by J-SP
Non-Oxbridge maybe, but the vast majority tend to be from a relatively small group of other elite unis.

I don’t think anyone just walks into a graduate job earning £35k or above though. They tend to have needed to have grafted for many years before that building up their CV, attending events, doing work experience, building their extra curriculars up etc.

My career has been recruiting for these type of jobs and trust me, if your aiming for a £35k job straight out of uni that isn’t sales/commission based, it’s not an easy task.

There's a difference between it being 'not easy' (which is expected, no employer paying you a premium will be just throwing money at people) and 'impossible' like that poster has made it out to seem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
They tend to have needed to have grafted for many years before that building up their CV, attending events, doing work experience, building their extra curriculars up etc.

Well yeah, but why would you not do those things while you're at uni?

If you haven't thought about your career before your graduation day then obviously you'll find it harder to get into something good immediately afterwards, but that's on you.
What are you going to offer the world?
What do you bring, besides a piece of paper that millions of others have, that should command a premium?

Earning ability is not directly related to academic ability.

Biggest myth that is perpetuated on here and taught in schools through indoctrination is that life is linear and rigid. You do A, B and C then you get to D and things work out - you "make it." The rigidity aspect is what causes most of you deep anxiety. Have you heard of an infinite game versus a finite game? Look it up. You're playing the wrong game.
Reply 184
Original post by J-SP
Sometimes before uni, sometimes after. But the idea is that you have to work hard for many years to do all of that before “just walking in” to a £35k+ job

You really don't. Know people who within 4 years of working are on £60k+. They're not investment bankers or anything like this they just saw a job with a good salary that they had the skills for and decided to do that.

It's on you. The real thing is how you use your money though, if you wanna go on holidays, eat nice food that costs £60, live in zone 1 and not save a penny/buy assets you're not any better off than a person who has half your salary.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by J-SP
That’s after four years working, and working hard for 4 years 🙄! We are talking about a first job here.

Even so £60k jobs four years post graduation are a minority, and a relatively small one. It’s clearly possible across a range of industries, but it is not a norm.

4 years is not many years. Its a few years, 35k straight after graduation is obviously not a norm and I don't get why you felt the need to say this. Junior Doctors don't get that unless they work overtime in London e.g.

I know its a minority though, although there are a lot of jobs over a range of industries that will offer you high paying jobs. I know an industry where before tax you get 800 a week. Again straight out of uni after a masters, they just decided to do contract work in this field.

Its down to you to look and be ready to work in said industries.
Original post by ebam_uk
May I ask what industry you are in? Finance?

Early stage venture capital.
Original post by elpistolero7
You're painting a crazy picture here. I'm 24 years old, on a 44k salary and work 9-7 most days. I go to the gym before work out of fear that I'll become a big fat fatty sitting at my desk.

I work in an industry I love, and I literally just finished my masters degree 4 months ago. I was barely average at my uni intelligence wise, and am far from a top 1% intellectual - just grafted at uni, worked very hard to get the right work experience.

I know lstudents at non elite universities who have waltzed into an asset management career with 38k grad salaries and work 9-5.30 at one of the biggest asset managers in the UK.

The job market is a tough place. But really, all you need is a degree from a halfway decent uni, 2 good summers of relevant work experience, and an ability to interview well. Unless you're a foreign student, getting a 30k+ job right away is not rocket science. Literally, thousands of non oxbridge people do it every year.

What degrees did you do and what sort of work experience?
My first job after uni was £18k, next one was £38k, next one £55k, then £65+...all within 4 years.

I focused on learning, development, experience and my values (intangible stuff) rather than salary. I've had some awesome opportunities in defence and banking industry for example, that I refused because they don't fit with my values. I have good work life balance, get to see my wife every day, drop kids off to school every morning and I continue to study a masters (it never ends).

What's your long-term gain? Short termists get unstuck. It's about trends and direction - you have a long working life ahead of you. Focusing on your first salary is going to blind you to a wealth of other experiences that you're ruling out prematurely. It's a stupid measure and you're selling yourself short. Entrepreneurs have the lowest salaries, does that mean they are pursuing worthless endeavours? Should you not work at a start-up that barely cover your expenses? What about the intangibles? Stop focusing on hard numbers - focus on your growth, focus on relationships, and the salary will come.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
My first job after uni was £18k, next one was £38k, next one £55k, then £65+...all within 4 years.

I focused on learning, development, experience and my values (intangible stuff) rather than salary. I've had some awesome opportunities in defence and banking industry for example, that I refused because they don't fit with my values. I have good work life balance, get to see my wife every day, drop kids off to school every morning and I continue to study a masters (it never ends).

What's your long-term gain? Short termists get unstuck. It's about trends and direction - you have a long working life ahead of you. Focusing on your first salary is going to blind you to a wealth of other experiences that you're ruling out prematurely. It's a stupid measure and you're selling yourself short. Entrepreneurs have the lowest salaries, does that mean they are pursuing worthless endeavours? Should you not work at a start-up that barely cover your expenses? What about the intangibles? Stop focusing on hard numbers - focus on your growth and the salary will come.

What was your first job?
Original post by mattymoo432
What was your first job?

My first job was innocuous and ordinary: a service desk analyst. But the devil was in the detail. I met the hiring manager (FTSE 100 company) and laid out my expectations: I want a job that gives me exposure to IT, how the function works and how it supports the business. He didn't see the job as a career either but a stepping stone, so was supportive.
I did my day job but also spent time with project teams, in testing, in security, and procurement. I volunteered for initiatives - for example reducing the number of Printing incidents we had across the business which were costing us a lot of money. By coincidence, I got involved in a Microsoft licensing deal and was helping the team to crunch some numbers, optimise our costs vs usage and make sense of licensing (it's a technical contract). I didn't lead this, but supported the person that did, and it got me interested in the commercial side of technology rather than technical. This directly led me to my next job which was in buying/negotiating software for a large manufacturing company - and a £20k pay increase. My new manager said one of they key reasons for hiring me was because of my Microsoft exposure.

If you're proactive and seek out opportunities, it can pay dividends. Sometimes we don't maximise the opportunities before us - we do the job description and fold our arms thinking that's it. That's a transaction. Career development is our responsibility, not the employer's.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bspercy
Is this £650/w post or pre tax? I currently make £400-550 a day but I'm self employed and still in university so it's not technically a full committed job.

A DAY??
Wow, what is your long term goal in terms of career, because it is looking like exponential salary increases, even from a humble starting salary of 18k, you must learn quickly!!

Original post by silent ninja

What's your long-term gain? Short termists get unstuck. It's about trends and direction - you have a long working life ahead of you. Focusing on your first salary is going to blind you to a wealth of other experiences that you're ruling out prematurely. It's a stupid measure and you're selling yourself short. Entrepreneurs have the lowest salaries, does that mean they are pursuing worthless endeavours? Should you not work at a start-up that barely cover your expenses? What about the intangibles? Stop focusing on hard numbers - focus on your growth, focus on relationships, and the salary will come.
Original post by ebam_uk
Wow, what is your long term goal in terms of career, because it is looking like exponential salary increases, even from a humble starting salary of 18k, you must learn quickly!!

There are people that have done far better, including friends from my course. Depends what your aims are. I haven't been one to seek a job for the sake of money only, but opportunities to grow and do something interesting and exciting.

I don't know where I'll go long term, probably innovation, strategy or something entrepreneurial. I'm not even sure if I want to manage people - i like how Google has a manager and individual contributor route up the ladder. Right now it's just about meeting smart people, enjoying new ideas and exploring new things. The drive is to be the best, maybe develop a niche area of expertise.
Original post by bspercy
Is this £650/w post or pre tax? I currently make £400-550 a day but I'm self employed and still in university so it's not technically a full committed job.

what do you do to make £400-550 a day
Original post by CraigBackner
what do you do to make £400-550 a day

This I am interested in. what earns you £500+ per day?
Original post by ebam_uk

Lots of IT workers get that. Interim managers also, but you need a strong background to be in the running for positions.
Original post by ebam_uk

Just be aware that self-employed day rates aren't necessarily comparable to earning that as a full-time salary rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hirsty97
Am doing got a lot of books to get through before I start investing though. If I can have 200k saved by 30-35 I hope to "retire" and live off multiple streams of income.

@Hirsty97 Wow you're so ahead of the curve in terms of just how you are thinking and conceptualising these things. I honestly wish I was this smart 3-4 years ago. Otherwise what people have stated in this thread, no degree really "leads" to this kind of salary you are thinking of but may boost your income down the line.

Edit - I'm sorry why am I getting these old threads in the "latest" feed? 😁 Only now have I noticed this thread is.. 8 months old
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RomainNeedsHelp
@Hirsty97 Wow you're so ahead of the curve in terms of just how you are thinking and conceptualising these things. I honestly wish I was this smart 3-4 years ago. Otherwise what people have stated in this thread, no degree really "leads" to this kind of salary you are thinking of but may boost your income down the line.

Edit - I'm sorry why am I getting these old threads in the "latest" feed? 😁 Only now have I noticed this thread is.. 8 months old

Imagine that £200k saved up and lots of potential to earn more money! It's an ideal position to be in.

Latest

Trending

Trending