The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
levels.fyi has a few examples for the UK.

but it's easy enough to extrapolate if you use a few rough approximations. generally the offers (for e3, e4 and e5) I've seen have been governed by a ~25-30% reduction in equivalent cost of labour vs the US with the current exchange rate.

so an e6 making an expected ~$450-550k in the US would translate to: 450*.7-.75*~.7 to 550*.7-.75*~.7 -> £220 to £290k

re: difficulty.. that is the same with literally every path a high potential kid wants to go down. being at the top of a field or attempting to go into a very competitive field (med/dent) is hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The salaries on this website seem so much higher than anything i've seen before. None of them are anything like what i'm seeing on glassdoor for example. Any idea why?
OP doesn't want to work in London (or expects £50k+ to work in London) - so it would make sense to know where in the UK they're based and are willing to move to - grad opportunities vary a lot between different places.

Also academic background is likely to rule out certain degrees (and possibly careers)

I'm surprised people have mentioned medicine but not dentistry or vet med - dentists start on just under £39k after foundation training iirr
Or there's private healthcare related jobs like https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/chiropractor
Training takes a lot longer than your normal 3 year degree though

(also :rofl: at the idea that someone coding at google etc is employed based on their degree and does "no further training" :rofl: )
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Better off just looking into other ways to make money in your free time, mate. Matched betting, Forex or Crypto trading, stock marketing, stuff like that. It can prove to be very lucrative if you've got good cashflow to start up with - a lot of folks end up cutting their work hours or even quitting work completely if they get good at one of these and make a lot of cash from them. I only work 16 hours a week myself and the rest of my money I make up from dabbling in these sorts of things and I'm doing pretty well for myself.

not to poo poo the idea completely but I think you should also consider the raft of benefits and security that come with a permanent contract of employment
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by D3LLI5
The salaries on this website seem so much higher than anything i've seen before. None of them are anything like what i'm seeing on glassdoor for example. Any idea why?

Glassdoor doesn't keep data up to date, a lot of the comp points on there are a) old, b) exclude non-salary comp (it doesn't allow for an easy way to calculate total comp unlike levels) and c) the data is all clumped together regardless of years of experience and level - essentially glassdoor is pretty ****. Some entries do seem to work - e.g.: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/McKinsey-and-Company-Partner-US-Salaries-EJI_IE2893.0,20_KO21,28_IL.29,31_IN1.htm - combining the base pay + avg additional pay gets you to around how much the average partner at Mck makes but their "avg total pay" algo also sucks.

Levels is generally very accurate for individual total comp entries (some are outrageous because of stock growth)

Original post by J-SP
I have been at events where experts in graduate employment statistics have explained these roles to be less than 0.01% of grads go into these type of earnings.

They don't even make up 3-5% of "graduate" opportunities and plenty of graduates dont even get into graduate level employment. Add in the unemployment rates too....

I mean, the number of graduates alone who get top city training contracts is already 2k - add-in all the folks with high finance gig: another 1-2k.

Couple hundred folks with consulting gigs, a fair amount of FY1s with a fairly strong weighting to higher banding rotations (+london weighting). Some non-trivial amount of folks in an allied healthcare capacity.

Couple thousand folks working in technology focused roles where tech is valued (inc. the aforementioned finance firms).

Couple thousand back office/middle office finance folks.

Some n number of successful salespeople hitting target

Some n number of barrister pupils

Some n number of self-employed folks making a solid living in a variety of things.

etc

It is a lot higher than 0.01% of grads.

Over time, even more people catch up to making a lot of money - in a variety of areas.
(edited 5 years ago)
Many pharmacist can be paid 35-40k. I will be working at a clinic where I'll be getting £30/ hour and I have just qualified as a pharmacist. But having said that, I still would not advice anyone to do pharmacy given the uncertain state it's in at the moment. If you ask me, It is about the balance involving many factors and not just your salary.
Reply 65
Original post by Princepieman
or you could be the best zoologist making $200k+ at a top us university..

forget money, figure out where you want to fit in the economy. pointless looking at finance if it's not something that interests you, ditto any other job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. I guess my concern is being 30 and earning less than I am now at 20. Ask my prepubescent I would have told you I wanted to be a zoologist but was dissuaded by the mean earnings of even experienced zoologists earning over 30k.
Reply 66
Original post by Little Popcorns
What’re you doing at the moment?

Something in logistics. It's from a French company and there are only 12 of us. Don't want to go into too much details though.
Original post by Bulletzone
Programming.

"Programming" isn't a degree. Programming is a major part of a Computer Science, Software Engineering and other related degrees.
You should do a degree because you're interested in the subject, not because you want to make some money in the future. Employers will only be offering high salaries to those passionate for their subject of which they have a degree in anyway. It's quite toxic how you value something only by the money it generates.
fairy nuff - foundation pay for dentists is higher than for doctors though - £31k (and less likely to have unsociable hours).

I saw your PA post - it's what made me think about posting the chiropractor info :yes:
Original post by Hirsty97
From my research banks like JP and GS give starting salaries of 45k where you can hope to make 10k in bonuses. Making 50k in London is like making 35k where I live. When I consider rent, travel, tax I'll have 1k I can save a month. I can save more now and have a better lifestyle. My hours atm are 60-80 hour weeks with £8-12 an hour. Banking hours are even crazier. Say I do 100 hour weeks for 55k a year that's only £10.58 an hour. Ha. Barely makes London's living wage.

I saved £200-£300 a month when only earning £17.5k, if you're only managing to save £1k a month from a £35k salary then you are doing something seriously wrong.
I did chem eng and starting on 40k (around 50k all in all) but that's for a super major oil company, point is, any degree can get you paid as long as you're pretty much the best.
Reply 73
what source have you got this info from? I'm planning on joining the army as an officer and thought the starting pay is £25k?
There are plenty of ways to earn that much money coming out of uni, and many more ways to set yourself on a trajectory to earn much more in the long run, even if your first job on graduation doesn't pay amazingly well.

It is fundamentally wrong to look for what degrees can make you the money, though. That isn't how it works. Look at things you might aim for and figure out how to get there.

Original post by Hirsty97
Downsides of my job are that no scale for progression and it might not be sustainable years down the line.

These are very severe downsides tbh. You will regret it if you reach 35, 40 years of age and you haven't progressed beyond your current pay packet.
Original post by Implication
not to poo poo the idea completely but I think you should also consider the raft of benefits and security that come with a permanent contract of employment

Which OP already has. I already have this also, my wages working 16 hours a week covers my living costs. Making a lot of money often inevitably comes with some degree of instability, just depends on whether you're willing and in the position to take a risk in going with investing and trading as a full-time job.
Original post by omarathon
You should do a degree because you're interested in the subject, not because you want to make some money in the future. Employers will only be offering high salaries to those passionate for their subject of which they have a degree in anyway. It's quite toxic how you value something only by the money it generates.

The OP is coming across as very immature and a bit of a bleep.
Reply 77
Original post by CTLeafez
If you join the Army as an Officer, starting pay during training is around £30k and then increases to £40k+ when you reach Captain, which is about 3-4 years into your career.

Majors make around £52k. May seem like a long time but get to the higher ranks and you'll be easily making £100k+

what source have you got this info from? I'm planning on joining the army as an officer and thought the starting pay is £25k?
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Which OP already has. I already have this also, my wages working 16 hours a week covers my living costs. Making a lot of money often inevitably comes with some degree of instability, just depends on whether you're willing and in the position to take a risk in going with investing and trading as a full-time job.

fair comments, just something to bear in mind. some benefits are likely to be pro ratad but at the end of the day it's a judgment call
Original post by howitoughttobe
I saved £200-£300 a month when only earning £17.5k, if you're only managing to save £1k a month from a £35k salary then you are doing something seriously wrong.

how?

i make that much in my internship, and just about manage the equivalent of £1-1.2k savings per month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending