Should Unconditional Offers be scrapped? Watch

Other_Owl
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Well what do you think?

People some do say "It makes too easy to get into university. What happens if you are predicted AAAs for Oxford then all of sudden you get just UUE."

So people have mixed views on it. Well still keep on posting!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why?
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think unconditional offers makes university too accessible to those who don't get the particular grades. Yes it is good for them since it basically guarantees them a university place, but I think all universities should ask for a minimum of CCC or equivalent.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unconditionals make sense if you're applying when you have your grades. I had an unconditional after take a gap year
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Unconditionals make sense if you're applying when you have your grades. I had an unconditional after take a gap year
Agreed - leave unconditional offers for those who already achieved the grades!

PS I like your signature
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes - They encourage some types of people to not work as hard. Why do we even do the application system before everyone knows their grades?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think the role of unconditionals should just be re-affirmed. I'm just thinking of how an over-generous university could be penalised.
icygrl
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes and no lol. I guess it makes it too easy for people to go to uni, as another user said a minimum of CCC at A level should be used as an incentive?
madmirrors
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
Well what do you think?

People some do say "It makes too easy to get into university. What happens if you are predicted AAAs for Oxford then all of sudden you get just UUE."
Unconditional offers should be given where a student already has the required grades.
Sint
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No - they are offered to people with good predicted grades (i.e are already working to a decent standard) and most people will still work hard and try to get good grades despite having accepted one.
eggyeol
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think unconditionals should only be given if you have your grades already. Giving unconditionals out like they're a piece of gum just devalues university imo. I have a friend who has two unconditional offers for a subject they failed at GCSE which I really don't understand.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
Oxford doesn't give unconditional offers unless you have achieved the grades required.

But yes, on the whole I agree that "unconditional if firm" offers shouldn't be allowed.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Appropriate for folk who already have the grades, but I am seeing more and more given out to folk who are waiting which seems to defeat the whole point. A conditional offer is supposed to be conditional on your grades and predicted grades are not qualifications.
MadamePompadour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. In deprived areas where grades are unpredictable theyre a good thing. They show students that Universities do value them despite many other things going against them.

I live in an area in the bottom 1% in the country for people going to University. At the last census only 3 people in the area (rough population of 50,000) stated they had attended university and gained a degree. Its very deprived with shockingly bad outcomes at school.

My son got an unconditional offer this year. It made him feel that he really is capable of gaining a degree. Up until he got that offer he really didn't believe it was a viable option for him and the school was on the fence too.

However I think they should only be offered to students who genuinely have the ability to gain their degrees and have huge disadvantages in accessing higher education.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MadamePompadour)
No. In deprived areas where grades are unpredictable theyre a good thing. They show students that Universities do value them despite many other things going against them.

I live in an area in the bottom 1% in the country for people going to University. At the last census only 3 people in the area (rough population of 50,000) stated they had attended university and gained a degree. Its very deprived with shockingly bad outcomes at school.

My son got an unconditional offer this year. It made him feel that he really is capable of gaining a degree. Up until he got that offer he really didn't believe it was a viable option for him and the school was on the fence too.

However I think they should only be offered to students who genuinely have the ability to gain their degrees and have huge disadvantages in accessing higher education.
That's a good point. I also know a couple of people for whom unconditional offers were very helpful because they had health conditions which made their grades unpredictable.
sadsushi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my opinion, I don't think unconditional offers should be scrapped but they should have some changes. Unconditional offers should only be rewarded to students who've met specific grade requirements for universities. The problem with unconditional offers is that some students who are given them choose not to work hard to get the grades for their chosen course b/c they know that they've got in regardless (in my old BTEC art and design course there were a few students who got unconditional offers even though they could only achieve pass grades with the occasional merit).
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Oxford doesn't give unconditional offers unless you have achieved the grades required.
They used to

The motto of the Alumni Society
Reformatio in peius
Change is for the worse
GentleGalaxy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, I don’t think so. You never know what happens in people’s lives, an unconditional offer may give someone with health complications or extreme circumstances during their A Level years the opportunity to get into university without the pressure of needing certain grades. Universities rarely give out unconditional offers to people unless they think they show a substantial amount of promise or already have the requirements, so it seems pointless to remove them.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I don't think the way they're currently being used is great- and I do think some students don't actually realise everything they are agreeing to when they accept one. I also think a lot of people have the perception that A-levels don't matter after you've got your degree- but this isn't always the case, some grad schemes etc do ask for your grades.

I think they have their place for students who may be facing issues such as health problems or coming from a disadvantaged background, and have really impressed with their application.

But I don't think they should become the norm.

I don't blame unis, though- the current funding situation is really problematic for unis, and they are just doing what they have to in order to compete. This is a symptom of a wider problem, IMO.
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
prestigious universities like Oxford don't give unconditional offers.

correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's usually from less prestigious universities for courses that are undersubscribed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (73)
17.72%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (262)
63.59%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.85%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.83%

Watched Threads