godotttt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, i was thinking of applying for PBS at Cambridge however i’m unsure on whether the subjects i have chosen in S6 (equivalent of year 13) give me a fair chance of receiving an offer:
Advanced Higher Biology
Advanced Higher English
A level Polish
Higher Mathematics
(advanced higher being the equivalent of A level and Higher being the equivalent of AS).
Other subjects that I could take at Advanced Higher level are Modern Studies, History (possibly but it might not be running) and French. Also, I’m thinking of asking my school if it’s at all possible to jump to Advanced Higher Mathematics but i very much doubt that.
I am aware that most colleges recommend Mathematics and/or Biology, suggesting that they would like both therefore would my current subject choice put me at a disadvantage seeing as i don't do AH Mathematics, only Higher?
Thanks
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by godotttt)
I am aware that most colleges recommend Mathematics and/or Biology, suggesting that they would like both therefore would my current subject choice put me at a disadvantage seeing as i don't do AH Mathematics, only Higher?
Thanks
"Most" might say and/or Maths/Biology- that doesn't mean you need both. You have Biology.

For example Christ's says: "There are no specific subjects that you must be studying at school to make an application for PBS, though students with A-level, IB Higher (or equivalent) Mathematics and/or a science subject may be more competitive than those without. We do not require you to be studying Psychology at school."

Fundamentally, if you don't apply you definitely won't get an offer....
12aissid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did go to a Cambridge open day for pbs and they did address this question they stated that different colleges will have different expectations for higher/a level subjects and some will want a heavy focus in science whilst others will have a more relaxed attitude. Your best bet is to check through college stats for you subject and specifically search for different colleges and their attitude to subjects for pbs. You could use the unifrog website or just google it for colleges your thinking of applying to. Alternatively email the pbs course admissions team. I don’t think they have another open day soon but you could ask?
godotttt
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Doonesbury;79173580]"Most" might say and/or Maths/Biology- that doesn't mean you need both. You have Biology.

For example Christ's says: "There are no specific subjects that you must be studying at school to make an application for PBS, though students with A-level, IB Higher (or equivalent) Mathematics and/or a science subject may be more competitive than those without. We do not require you to be studying Psychology at school."

Fundamentally, if you don't apply you definitely won't get an offer.... [/QUOTE
(Original post by Doonesbury)
"Most" might say and/or Maths/Biology- that doesn't mean you need both. You have Biology.

Fundamentally, if you don't apply you definitely won't get an offer....
Okay, thanks!
godotttt
Rep:
?
(Original post by 12aissid)
I did go to a Cambridge open day for pbs and they did address this question they stated that different colleges will have different expectations for higher/a level subjects and some will want a heavy focus in science whilst others will have a more relaxed attitude. Your best bet is to check through college stats for you subject and specifically search for different colleges and their attitude to subjects for pbs. You could use the unifrog website or just google it for colleges your thinking of applying to. Alternatively email the pbs course admissions team. I don’t think they have another open day soon but you could ask?
Yeah unfortunately I missed out on the open days but thanks, I might contact the university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads