Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  24B4C062-BBBD-4AE0-869F-1CF6C6BB0F76.jpg.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  17.3 KB

hello there :hi:

i’ve noticed a lot of you have been making threads about advice for going into year 10 or year 11 so i thought i might bundle it all into one ultimate thread where we can all share our worries and get advice from those who have already been through it! :dumbells:

background info for me is...
i’m about to go into year 11!!! :shock:
and i’m absolutely petrified :erm:

SO
for this thread you might as well let us know

your name/nickname :
the year you’re going into :

and then

some advice you have for the year below :
some advice you want from other people :

i’ll start off!! :woo:

your name/nickname : bubbles :bubbles:
obviously not my real name lol
the year you’re going into : year 11
some advice you have for the year below : you don’t need to stress about year 10, just make sure you revise throughout the year so that you don’t end up panicking when it comes to mocks!
some advice you want from other people : how to make sure you don’t stress out massively :lol:

i hope this is helpful for you all :love:

(NOTE THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL GCSE OR YEAR 10/11 THREAD, ITS SIMPLY JUST FOR ADVICE AS I KNOW MOST OF US ARE FREAKING OUT!)

and i’ll tag some people that might be interested
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
awesome thread idea! :love:
name: laura
year i'm going into: year 11 :eek3:

advice for the year below: make revision resources as you go along :yes: and don't stress, you'll be great! :rave: advice i want from others: are y11 mocks designed to be harder than the real gcse or are they on par with the actual exam?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you mean your real name isn't bubbles?! This whole existence has been a lie :lol:
Seriously though, great thread idea! I'll try to pop on and give some advice as someone who's been through it and am now going into year 13 (which I promise is 100x more terrifying than going into year 12 or even 11 :giggle:)
I tended to work better under stress so I don't really have any tips to not stress out other than the obvious take plenty of breaks and remember to eat, drink plenty of water and sleep!
(Original post by laurawatt)
advice i want from others: are y11 mocks designed to be harder than the real gcse or are they on par with the actual exam?
Your year 11 mocks will almost certainly be this year's papers for those subjects reformed this year, and a locked specimen paper if not :yep: This means in theory they should be on par with your real exams (but take the grade with a pinch of salt as teachers seem to be rubbish at applying sensible grade boundaries) however exam boards are still adjusting the difficulty of the new spec exams so in reality some will probably be harder (and some may even be easier)
If you have multiple sets of mocks/especially early mocks or anything like that then there is a possibility that the teacher puts together a mock. In this case they could be anything from ridiculously easy to ridiculously difficult (which I know is not very helpful :sorry:)

Tldr; They should be on par but lots of factors mean they're often not

Posted from TSR Mobile
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
What do you mean your real name isn't bubbles?! This whole existence has been a lie :lol:
Seriously though, great thread idea! I'll try to pop on and give some advice as someone who's been through it and am now going into year 13 (which I promise is 100x more terrifying than going into year 12 or even 11 :giggle:)
I tended to work better under stress so I don't really have any tips to not stress out other than the obvious take plenty of breaks and remember to eat, drink plenty of water and sleep!
Your year 11 mocks will almost certainly be this year's papers for those subjects reformed this year, and a locked specimen paper if not :yep: This means in theory they should be on par with your real exams (but take the grade with a pinch of salt as teachers seem to be rubbish at applying sensible grade boundaries) however exam boards are still adjusting the difficulty of the new spec exams so in reality some will probably be harder (and some may even be easier)
If you have multiple sets of mocks/especially early mocks or anything like that then there is a possibility that the teacher puts together a mock. In this case they could be anything from ridiculously easy to ridiculously difficult (which I know is not very helpful :sorry:)

Tldr; They should be on par but lots of factors mean they're often not

Posted from TSR Mobile
haha sorry :eek3:

thank you for the tips!
really interesting read in response to laura’s question too :yep:
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
haha sorry :eek3:

thank you for the tips!
really interesting read in response to laura’s question too :yep:
:lol: You're welcome Glad it was interesting!
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
:lol: You're welcome Glad it was interesting!
:laugh:
stalkingsilence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i think this is an absolutely brilliant idea and i'm probably going to be checking this quite a bit

okay so introductions:

name: molly
year i'm going into: year 10

advice for year 9s.... just enjoy it, the workload isn't too bad and the stuff is pretty simple. just enjoy all the chill subjects if you're going to drop them and really don't stress for me year 9 was just sort of a middle year and i was waiting for it to be over so i would definitely say don't wish it away and it'll be fun hopefully

advice for me.... how bad is year 10 really, i've heard the rumours and everything but i work ridiculously hard and an honest opinion would be nice

can't wait to see how this thread grows! should be good bubbles
ravenwing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
nickname: ravenwing
year im going into: year 11

(Original post by stalkingsilence)
advice for me.... how bad is year 10 really, i've heard the rumours and everything but i work ridiculously hard and an honest opinion would be nice
Advice to year 10s: not too bad! Depending on your school, you may have just started your GCSE options (our school started options the last term of year 9) - when i started options i found it slightly overwhelming, but i soon realised that its not that different from what i was doing before, so don’t be too hard on yourself when you don’t understand things and try to relax (easier said than done though ). If you are scared of being put in classes with lots of people you don’t know, then remember that lots of people probably feel the same and you can almost always find people to talk to. Don’t be too stressed about studying, just keep on top of your work and your books neat. With your work ethic I’m sure you’ll be great in yr 10!

Advise for year 11: how much should i be studying? I’m a pretty lazy person, but i want to do well! Should i start studying now, over summer?
bluemuffin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
awesome thread idea! :love:
name: laura
year i'm going into: year 11 :eek3:

advice for the year below: make revision resources as you go along :yes: and don't stress, you'll be great! :rave: advice i want from others: are y11 mocks designed to be harder than the real gcse or are they on par with the actual exam?
Just did my GCSEs and found that mocks were generally around the standard of the real exam but it’s hard to say as our school didn’t have many resources so the real exams were quite different to the mocks, but not necessarily easier/harder. Just revise everything well and you’ll be fine either way
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by ravenwing)

Advice to year 10s: not too bad! Depending on your school, you may have just started your GCSE options (our school started options the last term of year 9) - when i started options i found it slightly overwhelming, but i soon realised that its not that different from what i was doing before, so don’t be too hard on yourself when you don’t understand things and try to relax (easier said than done though ). If you are scared of being put in classes with lots of people you don’t know, then remember that lots of people probably feel the same and you can almost always find people to talk to. Don’t be too stressed about studying, just keep on top of your work and your books neat. With your work ethic I’m sure you’ll be great in yr 10!

Advise for year 11: how much should i be studying? I’m a pretty lazy person, but i want to do well! Should i start studying now, over summer?
haha can relate with being lazy but wanting to study :shock:
and i procrastinate a lot!

i’m trying to a get a bit done over the summer but not full on exam focused revision!
stalkingsilence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

thank you for that - it's really helpful
in our school we have bands (how they split our year group) up until year 10 so now they merge and i'm going to be in classes with people i've never talked to before so that's really helpful advice, thank you! good luck in year 11 xx
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'm waiting on my gcse results:lol:
i'd definitely recommend making a revision timetable so you can organise your time well and it might encourage you to revise smarter because you have a schedule to follow. definitely helped reduce my stress and procrastination (a little:lol:)
and please please don't get hung up over bad mock results- you'll have plenty of time to improve and sometimes the mocks/grade boundaries may not be the most accurate reflection of your ability. they're called mocks for a reason- just practice exams:yep: that's not to say a bit of revision and having a look at your mock papers to see where you went wrong won't help! most people will make an improvement between the first and second set of mocks; be conscious that one of your mocks might be a real gcse paper so putting in the effort to prepare beforehand can help you say what your actual gaps in knowledge are and what you need to improve on.

if i'm being honest, i went into my real gcse exams like they were mocks- wasn't that stressed and i did my best:dontknow: stress in the exam hall won't help but it's better to **** up your mocks than your real exams; that's another thing mocks can be useful for- to get used to the exam environment.

you don't need to study a lot:yep: i'd recommend finishing or working more on your revision resources over the summer (i didn't do that and was super stressed for my first set of mocks as i wasn't fully prepared) the closer they are to being completed, the better as it would allow you to work on exam technique later on. but don't burn yourself out as it is a summer holiday for a reason and you don't want to be exhausted before you go back to school.
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
i'm waiting on my gcse results:lol:
i'd definitely recommend making a revision timetable so you can organise your time well and it might encourage you to revise smarter because you have a schedule to follow. definitely helped reduce my stress and procrastination (a little:lol:)
and please please don't get hung up over bad mock results- you'll have plenty of time to improve and sometimes the mocks/grade boundaries may not be the most accurate reflection of your ability. they're called mocks for a reason- just practice exams:yep: that's not to say a bit of revision and having a look at your mock papers to see where you went wrong won't help! most people will make an improvement between the first and second set of mocks; be conscious that one of your mocks might be a real gcse paper so putting in the effort to prepare beforehand can help you say what your actual gaps in knowledge are and what you need to improve on.

if i'm being honest, i went into my real gcse exams like they were mocks- wasn't that stressed and i did my best:dontknow: stress in the exam hall won't help but it's better to **** up your mocks than your real exams; that's another thing mocks can be useful for- to get used to the exam environment.

you don't need to study a lot:yep: i'd recommend finishing or working more on your revision resources over the summer (i didn't do that and was super stressed for my first set of mocks as i wasn't fully prepared) the closer they are to being completed, the better as it would allow you to work on exam technique later on. but don't burn yourself out as it is a summer holiday for a reason and you don't want to be exhausted before you go back to school.
thanks for the brilliant advice! :hugs:
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
bumping
username3558104
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
name: seri
going into year 10

Don't stress about Y9, it's just a year more of subjects you probably won't be doing again. Do your best for the subjects you like, and don't stress about the ones you're not doing at GCSE.
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by seriouslygcse)
name: seri
going into year 10

Don't stress about Y9, it's just a year more of subjects you probably won't be doing again. Do your best for the subjects you like, and don't stress about the ones you're not doing at GCSE.
that’s great advice! any questions for year 11’s about year 10?
username3558104
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
that’s great advice! any questions for year 11’s about year 10?
How important do you feel Y10 is? Is it worth revising for like a month before mocks? We have 3 mocks throughout the year corresponding to the term.
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by seriouslygcse)
How important do you feel Y10 is? Is it worth revising for like a month before mocks? We have 3 mocks throughout the year corresponding to the term.
i think year 10 is important but you shouldn’t be stressing about it because you still have a lot of time. it’s important because it is the building blocks of your gcses, and it’s where you can learn how to effectively revise.

i’d say if you only had one mock session (like me, in the summer) then yes definitely a month before mocks - maybe even 2 months before depending on how much you’ve got done throughout the year. but for you it’s a bit different. if you’re revising fully a month before mocks and you have three of these, plus other end of unit exams then you’re going to burn out early.

totally your decision in the end based on how important you think each mock is, but a month/2 weeks before or whatever.

honestly depends what you’re like as a revising person, cause i can give you my advice and it’ll be totally different to what you’re used to!
clouddbubbles
Rep:
?
bumping this lol
rachellouise21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is such a good idea! name - rachel going into - yr 11 advice for yr 10 - its honestly fine, do not stress, make sure you do notes and revision for the end of unit tests so that for your yr 10 mocks you have all of it ready and you just have to look over it (wish i had done that) need advice for - how to revise, really how i dont even know where to start, do i have to make notes for every subject and are there some techniques (flash cards, mind maps ect) that work better for specific subjects (in particular the 3 sciences, history, comp sci and spanish), when do i start revising for mocks (mine are in Nov), and anything I need to look out for/ prepare for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (164)
13.26%
Excited (108)
8.73%
Worried (228)
18.43%
Terrified (288)
23.28%
Meh (99)
8%
Confused (32)
2.59%