A level Physics without Maths Watch

humbleburrito
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I got a B at IGCSE maths (I took half my IGCSES in January) and I'm predicted an A/A* at IGCSE physics (Physics is my tied favourite subject) I prefer maths in the context of science and would be fine independently learning the A level maths material that's necessary to fully understand physics , but I don't want to take maths at A level. Should I take physics without maths or am I gonna spectacularly fail?
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A-level physics just requires GCSE maths anyway (they'll teach you about some extra easy stuff like logarithms and radians) but the rest is basically knowing how to rearrange equations, SOHCAHTOA and nothing more tbh. It's not Impossible but A-level maths helps since it makes you more confident in the maths side of things.
wifd149
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I initially did not take A-level maths, but I have found that A-level physics without maths would not change anything. It doesn't make anything feel hard or easy as you may think

I got a B for O-level maths too but doing A-level maths with a B is not hard; just saying if you have to take A-level maths.

Good luck though!
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
A-level physics just requires GCSE maths anyway (they'll teach you about some extra easy stuff like logarithms and radians) but the rest is basically knowing how to rearrange equations, SOHCAHTOA and nothing more tbh. It's not Impossible but A-level maths helps since it makes you more confident in the maths side of things.
I agree with the fact taking the maths a level makes you more confident with the math you use in physics. A lot of people struggle with mechanics in physics if they haven’t take the mechanics modules in maths lessons.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by alevelphysicist)
I agree with the fact taking the maths a level makes you more confident with the math you use in physics. A lot of people struggle with mechanics in physics if they haven’t take the mechanics modules in maths lessons.
Yeah, but the mechanics is physics is quite basic, and A-level maths really does prepare you for it in Physics. But like I said, it is possible to take physics without maths if youre willing to put in the work to practice the maths.
I think the hardest mechanics Physics has to offer is projectile motion, which is covered way more in depth in maths.
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
Yeah, but the mechanics is physics is quite basic, and A-level maths really does prepare you for it in Physics. But like I said, it is possible to take physics without maths if youre willing to put in the work to practice the maths.
I think the hardest mechanics Physics has to offer is projectile motion, which is covered way more in depth in maths.
I agree
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by humbleburrito)
I got a B at IGCSE maths (I took half my IGCSES in January) and I'm predicted an A/A* at IGCSE physics (Physics is my tied favourite subject) I prefer maths in the context of science and would be fine independently learning the A level maths material that's necessary to fully understand physics , but I don't want to take maths at A level. Should I take physics without maths or am I gonna spectacularly fail?
I would question your motives about wanting to take A-level physics. Anything physics related at university, whether it be physics itself, engineering, geophysics etc. will require A-level maths as well as physics. The last thing you want is to fall in love with A-level physics and find you can't really take it any further. What are the other A-levels you want to do?

I think it's ridiculous that your school made you do IGCSE maths early. It makes sense for easier subjects to get them out of the way before the main exam season, but something so fundamental, important and difficult in relation to the other IGCSEs should be taught over the full 2 years and examined at the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed