The Student Room Group

Study together for gcse?

I’m a bit early for this but might as well. Does anyone wanna study together for gcse’s in 2019? Like exchange resources, teach each other things, explain, work together on understanding things? Idk just something like that.
I take:
English literature- AQA
English language- AQA
Maths - AQA
RE - AQA
Spanish - AQA
Geography - Edexcel A
History- Edexcel
Triple science - Edexcel
Latin - OCR

If you want you can just PM me instead of commenting but yeah. You could also comment your subjects and exam boards to see if you can find anyone maybe, ahaha.

Scroll to see replies

Heya I’ve just recently finished my GCSES similar to yours I did English language/literature AQA and RE AQA if you have any questions. Or would like to know about any exam techniques, revision materials advice. Feel free to DM me. I’m predicted mainly 8/9s
Original post by cherry1011
Heya I’ve just recently finished my GCSES similar to yours I did English language/literature AQA and RE AQA if you have any questions. Or would like to know about any exam techniques, revision materials advice. Feel free to DM me. I’m predicted mainly 8/9s

Ahh thankyou so much. What texts did you study for english and what topics did you do in re?
Yes that would be cool! I’m doing similar things but textiles drama and French. Doing latin as well though. Same exam boards except maths (edexcel) and science (aqa), but maths is the same everywhere really isn’t it.
Original post by Purplebottle
Ahh thankyou so much. What texts did you study for english and what topics did you do in re?

I did Macbeth, Frankenstein, An inspector calls and love poetry. RE I did Christianity and Islam in the topics: B, C, D, E. Any help?
Original post by pinkbacon1437
Yes that would be cool! I’m doing similar things but textiles drama and French. Doing latin as well though. Same exam boards except maths (edexcel) and science (aqa), but maths is the same everywhere really isn’t it.

Wait so which subjects do you do ahaha?
Ahh i barely find anyone who does latin so this is good. Are you doing prose and verse or literature and culture?
I did Macbeth, Frankenstein, An inspector calls and love poetry. RE I did Christianity and Islam in the topics: B, C, D, E. Any help?

I’m doing macbeth and an inspector calls too. For re I’m doing catholic christianity and judaism with topica g, h :frown:.
But what would you say is the best way to revise english
Wait so which subjects do you do ahaha?
Ahh i barely find anyone who does latin so this is good. Are you doing prose and verse or literature and culture?

English lit and Lang (macbeth, inspector calls, jekyll&hyde)
Maths
RS (christianity&islam, themes ABDE)
Triple science
Textiles
Drama
French
Add maths
Latin - prose and verse. Verse doing Aeneas and dido x
English lit and Lang (macbeth, inspector calls, jekyll&hyde)
Maths
RS (christianity&islam, themes ABDE)
Triple science
Textiles
Drama
French
Add maths
Latin - prose and verse. Verse doing Aeneas and dido x

Ahh i do macbeth and inspector calls too, have you done them in class yet?
Aww I don’t do those for latin (i do literature and culture and tbh im not sure of the other one I don’t think we started it yet). How are you getting on with the language in latin?
Ahh i do macbeth and inspector calls too, have you done them in class yet?
Aww I don’t do those for latin (i do literature and culture and tbh im not sure of the other one I don’t think we started it yet). How are you getting on with the language in latin?

Yeah I’ve done all the books for English and a few of the (power and conflict) poems.
Latin I guess you just gotta learn that never ending list of words haha. I’ve learnt about 3/4 of them so gotta learn the rest!
What do you do for the literature and culture?
Yeah I’ve done all the books for English and a few of the (power and conflict) poems.
Latin I guess you just gotta learn that never ending list of words haha. I’ve learnt about 3/4 of them so gotta learn the rest!
What do you do for the literature and culture?

Wow you’re so ahead compared to me! I’ve only done pride and prejudice and most of macbeth. Is inspector calls hard or quite easy?
Yeah ahaha, that’s good that you’ve learnt most of them. have you started learning the restricted vocab list for the english -> latin sentences?
For literature and culture it’s like about the roman civilisation and the entertainment as well as their myths and beliefs - it’s like the easiest thing because you can bs through the exam and still pas ahaha.
What’s the prose and verse like?
Wow you’re so ahead compared to me! I’ve only done pride and prejudice and most of macbeth. Is inspector calls hard or quite easy?
Yeah ahaha, that’s good that you’ve learnt most of them. have you started learning the restricted vocab list for the english -> latin sentences?
For literature and culture it’s like about the roman civilisation and the entertainment as well as their myths and beliefs - it’s like the easiest thing because you can bs through the exam and still pas ahaha.
What’s the prose and verse like?

Inspector calls is more out version of English haha. Yeah I liked studying it and it’s a bit more relatable in terms of social issues like politics and class.
I didn’t know there was an English into Latin vocab list...is it on the OCR website? For verse you kinda have to memorise the whole English translation. It’s kinda like poetry in english where you have to apply random techniques to create a desired effect on the audience. But omg the translation makes no sense: ‘pity a falling house, and I beg’ like whaaaaaat???
I’m doing macbeth and an inspector calls too. For re I’m doing catholic christianity and judaism with topica g, h :frown:.
But what would you say is the best way to revise english

I’d say there isn’t any specific way that will guarantee you the marks, as everyone is different. In which, you have to find the way that suits you best. For me personally, as simple as this sounds I made a word bank and added to it as I went on to GCSE time. This really helped me as across most of the English exams you need to have that vocabulary, that will make you stand out from other students. To do so you need to start early, learning new words/phrases that can be applied providing interest. It just makes you sound smarter overall, even in a situation where the question doesn’t make much sense and you still have to make something out of it. This technique worked really well for me and allowed me to pick up more marks, as my answers were much more sophisticated and structured. For English literature I made quote sheets for each individual character/theme, this is important as you get to pick out interesting quotes rather than ones such as ‘unsex me here’ in Macbeth. That you’ll know half of the country will be already using. You need to think outside of the box and analyse really different quotes, with different and deeper meanings. Around GCSE time I transferred my quote sheets onto flash cards to ensure I knew a fair amount for each character/theme before the exams. I also looked up practise questions online and wrote essays. Constantly, going back and improving on it. From this I learnt the concept of proof reading and how it could save you several marks! Leaving at least 6mins to read over and edit is a must. Your teacher/ tutor would probably love to mark over any extra work you produce for them, take advantage of them!
Inspector calls is more out version of English haha. Yeah I liked studying it and it’s a bit more relatable in terms of social issues like politics and class.
I didn’t know there was an English into Latin vocab list...is it on the OCR website? For verse you kinda have to memorise the whole English translation. It’s kinda like poetry in english where you have to apply random techniques to create a desired effect on the audience. But omg the translation makes no sense: ‘pity a falling house, and I beg’ like whaaaaaat???

Ohh that’s good, I’ll be looking forward to it next year then ahaha.
Check this link for the restricted vocab list
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/221512-gcse-latin-j282-defined-vocabulary-list-and-restricted-vocabulary-list.pdf
It starts on page 8 and it’s only 2 pages. It’s for the section in the language exam where you can either translate three sentences into latin or answer some grammar questions. It’s 10marks but you don’t have to do both.
Omds that translation, that doesn’t sound too hard. How long is the english translation?
I’d say there isn’t any specific way that will guarantee you the marks, as everyone is different. In which, you have to find the way that suits you best. For me personally, as simple as this sounds I made a word bank and added to it as I went on to GCSE time. This really helped me as across most of the English exams you need to have that vocabulary, that will make you stand out from other students. To do so you need to start early, learning new words/phrases that can be applied providing interest. It just makes you sound smarter overall, even in a situation where the question doesn’t make much sense and you still have to make something out of it. This technique worked really well for me and allowed me to pick up more marks, as my answers were much more sophisticated and structured. For English literature I made quote sheets for each individual character/theme, this is important as you get to pick out interesting quotes rather than ones such as ‘unsex me here’ in Macbeth. That you’ll know half of the country will be already using. You need to think outside of the box and analyse really different quotes, with different and deeper meanings. Around GCSE time I transferred my quote sheets onto flash cards to ensure I knew a fair amount for each character/theme before the exams. I also looked up practise questions online and wrote essays. Constantly, going back and improving on it. From this I learnt the concept of proof reading and how it could save you several marks! Leaving at least 6mins to read over and edit is a must. Your teacher/ tutor would probably love to mark over any extra work you produce for them, take advantage of them!

Thankyou so much for this! It’s really helped and I’ll be sure to do some practice questions, hopefully my teacher will mark them ahaha.
How many quotes did you have for macbeth?

We’re doing very similar! I’m doing textiles french, geography history and triple science. What English texts is everyone studying? I’m doing Romeo and Juliet, an inspector calls and a Christmas carol. Would be useful if anyone has any resources for a Christmas carol as haven’t seen many schools do it previously :wink:
Ohh that’s good, I’ll be looking forward to it next year then ahaha.
Check this link for the restricted vocab list
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/221512-gcse-latin-j282-defined-vocabulary-list-and-restricted-vocabulary-list.pdf
It starts on page 8 and it’s only 2 pages. It’s for the section in the language exam where you can either translate three sentences into latin or answer some grammar questions. It’s 10marks but you don’t have to do both.
Omds that translation, that doesn’t sound too hard. How long is the english translation?

6 effin Pages. Well not whole a4 but I think it’s 350 lines of Latin and Latin shortens many phrases so yay(!)
Thanks for the link! Apparently we can do both the into Latin and the grammar ones, and the examiner marks the best ones?
I did AQA RE but we did Christianity, Catholicism and Islam. A tip I’d give is memorise most of the major keywords eg omnipotent, omnipresent and study the festivals and rules which will help majorly. I also did AQA maths (higher) however I was put in higher to try to get me at least a 4 as I was bad at maths but what I would say after sitting the 2018 exams don’t revise certain topics predominantly as AQA pick some topics people won’t revise as heavily for example I revised all the circle theorems and it only came up once or twice. Furthermore when the past papers for 2018 come out they will give you a really good idea of the new exams.
For Macbeth remember key quotes like the Neptunes ocean statement by lady Macbeth. To be honest I can’t remember much of the Macbeth exam but we were told to include things like historical context eg Shakespeare was trying to impress king James and appeal to him as James wrote a book called Daemonologie I believe which correlates to the witches ect. And we were also taught that the message was that lady macbeth goes crazy from the guilt of murdering a king and commits suicide and Macbeth is slain which sends a message to the audience that if you kill a king you will feel endless guilt and troubled thoughts which would include the Divine Right of Kings.
Thankyou so much for this! It’s really helped and I’ll be sure to do some practice questions, hopefully my teacher will mark them ahaha.
How many quotes did you have for macbeth?

I’m not sure exactly although if you PM me we can talk about this further and I can provide you with quote sheets

Quick Reply

Latest