Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi - does anyone know which the best colleges are for people who aren't typical freshers and don't want to party party party, but at the same time don't want to sit quietly in their room all day?? I am torn between Grizedale and Furness. I like the idea of Furness as it's small and friendly but then I read somewhere that it has a reputation for being the heaviest drinking college. Is that right? I like Grizedale too but are the en suite accommodation blocks based on the south west campus rather than with the main college as I read somewhere that they were. I think they're the only accommodation other than town houses that have sofas. Any advice/information would be great. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I definitely wouldn't describe Furness as the heaviest drinking college.

ReputationRep:
    They are all pretty much the same not going to lie.

Its more about the type of room and location on campus that you would like to be at.

Personally i like Cartmel College as the accommodation is out of the way of main campus. Therefore there seems to be a lot less noise at night and overall i prefer the idea of living away from the main campus - its only a 5 minute walk to centre of campus but keeps a lot of the noise away.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused about this, every other fresher seems to think the colleges are some Harry Potter type **** where everyone is the same, in reality its literally just the halls you're staying in right? Who actually gives a damn
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by uniprospect)
    Hi - does anyone know which the best colleges are for people who aren't typical freshers and don't want to party party party, but at the same time don't want to sit quietly in their room all day?? I am torn between Grizedale and Furness. I like the idea of Furness as it's small and friendly but then I read somewhere that it has a reputation for being the heaviest drinking college. Is that right? I like Grizedale too but are the en suite accommodation blocks based on the south west campus rather than with the main college as I read somewhere that they were. I think they're the only accommodation other than town houses that have sofas. Any advice/information would be great. Thanks!
    Hi there,

I am a current student at Lancaster so perhaps I can help with your queries - Jmeme10 hopefully this post can answery your questions too.

I would definitely say that the college you choose when you join us should be based on the type of accomodation you prefer. For example, if you like the townhouses the colleges that offer these are County and Grizedale. However, as Yellow2914 mentioned, some of the Colleges are slightly set apart from the Main Campus (these colleges are Lonsdale and Cartmel - also Grad college but I guess you're an undergraduate?) and some people prefer that they are a little quieter.

I am in County College and lived in an townhouse in my first year which I absolutely loved. However, I believe you will love whichever college you end up joining. We also have lots of acitivities that take place against the other colleges eg sports, darts, pool etc. With regards to Furness, I definitely don't agree with this and I'm sure when you arrive you will be able to see that for yourself!

If would like to see any of the University accomodation we run regular campus tours on Mondays and Saturdays each week and we have some Clearing Open Days on Friday 17th August and Saturday 18th August which you are welcome to attend. Booking for these Open Days opens on Thursday and I have attached the link for you in case you are interested:
    http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/clearing/visit-us/
    If you have any more questions just let me know!

Georgia
    Student Ambassador

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 1 Sep '18
  2. Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.