Majority of the British public want the burka to be banned

Watch
Laopue7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A poll by YouGov found that the British public 'overwhelmingly support banning the Islamic burka'.

It's time for the UK government to give the people what they want and ban the burka.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/islam-muslim-veil-burka-ban-burkini-poll-uk-britain-france-a7218386.html

yougov.co.uk/news/2016/08/31/majority-public-backs-burka-ban/
Risk08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well they let us vote on Brexit I suppose. Logical to let us vote. Interesting why this is the case. A bit extreme to out-right ban a head-garment.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The majority of the British public are complete morons.

What valid reason is there for banning freedom of expression in this way? All this is just down to reactionary scaremongering, rather than any credible evidence of a real problem.
pottah
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So what? The most read newspaper in this country is the Sun.
username3895014
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The burka isn’t Islamic, it isn’t mentioned in the Quran. If there was a ban, it would be on anything that covers your face and wouldn’t exactly be called a “burqa ban”
pottah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ikhan1)
The burka isn’t Islamic, it isn’t mentioned in the Quran. If there was a ban, it would be on anything that covers your face and wouldn’t exactly be called a “burqa ban”
imagine the hypebeast tears if they banned those bape face masks
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t think the burka has anything to do with “the majority of the British public”. Democracy does not necessarily mean we should be ruled by an angry mob.
username3895014
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pottah)
imagine the hypebeast tears if they banned those bape face masks
We stan an insecure hypebeast 🤷🏽*♀️
pottah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ikhan1)
We stan an insecure hypebeast 🤷🏽*♀️
**** blue lives, hypebeasts are skinny legends
wonderuss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Risk08)
Well they let us vote on Brexit I suppose. Logical to let us vote. Interesting why this is the case. A bit extreme to out-right ban a head-garment.
Correction: *full face garment.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
devout Christian women wear veils....

http://www.shanilascorner.com/wp-con...-Middleton.gif

but she does not look like what Boris said

:beard:
wonderuss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bobo344)
and you are just a racist f*cker
What's racist about what he said?
username4164712
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wonderuss)
What's racist about what he said?
ummmm obviously if he made this kinda comment he also wants a burkha ban which is pretty racist . I mean if someone wants to cover there face let them
icygrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name:  05AB60B9-283B-4039-8538-A2BB2F4253D3.gif
Views: 121
Size:  10.2 KB
wonderuss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bobo344)
ummmm obviously if he made this kinda comment he also wants a burkha ban which is pretty racist . I mean if someone wants to cover there face let them
What's racist about wanting a burka ban?
username4164712
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wonderuss)
What's racist about wanting a burka ban?
okay so WHY DO U WANT ONE IN THE FIRST PLACE
collapse909
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’d say allow it,but(i repeat but) make it so that they have to obliged to take it off/uncover their face in certain occasions like:
-When using a vehicle
-When confronted by police or in courts of law
-When doing public transactions eg. Shopping or using a bank
-In the classroom;whether teaching or being taught
-When in front of medical authority
And probably many
It is pointless to ban it just because of discomfort by others,but they should be prepared to cooperate with british society.
EnterUsername.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I respect free choice, but covering the face is not compatible for people to engage in society, and should be banned - Denmark, Bayern, and Austria are addressing problems of ostracising themselves from others, especially for identification or in classrooms.

Many muslims oppose the burqa against a Saudi-brand conservative model, e.g. in Morocco their sale is illegal, where terrorists used burqas to hide bombs and weapons, many religious scholars in Egypt. And although I disagree to violence and Islamophobia, in the current climate is a security risk for the women themselves.

And indeed on the topic of free choice, a person's freedom ends where others' freedom to safety (due to earlier highlighted concerns), and being able to talk to someone face to face ends, is endangered. And often there is no free choice involved in this decision, as they would face very bad consequences if they decided to remove them (only for some, yet defend the burqa in fear of repercussions).

Britain wants to be accepted but this is against proper social engagement, identification by police and authorities, and against their welfare, which seems to me, valid reason to ban the burqa in this country
HeyYou
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Probably the stupidest thing to ban because anyone who wears the face covering will definitely take it off for ID purposes. other than that don't see why they even care what someone wears
ilem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's great. The faster we stop prostrating ourselves before this oppressive, outdated, backwards culture, the better. There is no reason why a Western country should bow to religious delusions in the 21st century.

Should also ban the burqa while we're at it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (171)
44.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.08%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.25%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.39%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (37)
9.54%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.67%

Watched Threads