Edexcel futher mechanics and futher statistics

Watch
nayajueun00
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all!

I'm about to make a decision to change the exam board for further math exam from CIE to edexcel and I'd like to ask you which textbooks cover further mechanics 1 and futher statistics 1 As far as I know there are a devision of textbooks for both like M1,2,3,4,5 and S1,2,3,4,5.

I'm thinking to choose FM1 and FS2 for the exam and do M1-3 cover all syllabus for FM1 or is M4 included as well?

Thank you
racheljane07
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nayajueun00)
Hi all!

I'm about to make a decision to change the exam board for further math exam from CIE to edexcel and I'd like to ask you which textbooks cover further mechanics 1 and futher statistics 1 As far as I know there are a devision of textbooks for both like M1,2,3,4,5 and S1,2,3,4,5.

I'm thinking to choose FM1 and FS2 for the exam and do M1-3 cover all syllabus for FM1 or is M4 included as well?

Thank you

Hi,

I can't speak for further mechanics, but further stats is covered over 2 textbooks - Edexcel AS and A level Further Mathematics Further Statistics 1 and Further Statistics 2 from Pearson. The majority of AS level Further Stats is covered in the Further Stats 1 textbook, but there is some of it in the Further Stats 2 book that we as a class did without the textbook and just using the specification and our teacher. We only did FS1, but I'm assuming the majority of FS2 is in the Further Stats 2 textbook
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi all!

Thank you
I wouldn't advise using the old spec textbooks to teach you, as while it will be good for extra questions if you want, there will be bits that have been added for new spec and bits which are in the textbook which are unnecessary.
There's textbooks for FM1 and FS1, but I'm not sure the FM2 and FS2 ones are actually out yet (you can look on the Edexcel website under resources and see if they're there). You also have to remember there's assumed knowledge from the new A level maths as well.
Also FM1 and FS2 is not a valid combination for taking in the exam so you couldn't do that. FM1 and FS1 is the most popular combination though so would be a good choice :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
nayajueun00
Rep:
?
Thank you very much for your advices ^^ I made a comparison btwm what I've studied so far under CIE and what I should study more to cover all the syllabus of edexcel I've decided to take FP1, FP2, FM1, FM2. But is it possible to take it separately as AS (this Junec) and A2 (next January)?? If it is, how can those four papers be separated??
have
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you very much for your advices ^^ I made a comparison btwm what I've studied so far under CIE and what I should study more to cover all the syllabus of edexcel I've decided to take FP1, FP2, FM1, FM2. But is it possible to take it separately as AS (this Junec) and A2 (next January)?? If it is, how can those four papers be separated??
The new spec maths no longer has exams in January. On top of that, you have to take the whole of an A Level in one year for it to count (all in June), so you can't split **** up.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For Edexcel, you don't take AS and A2 any more. You only have to take the 4 A2 papers which can be taken in any June exam series.
Also I feel you may be a little confused on the optional units. You say you have chosen FP1/2 and FM1/2, however these are 4 optional units and you only take 2.
I suspect you are confusing CP1/2 (which are the compulsory units) with FP1/2 (the optional units). Just so you don't look at the wrong bits of the specification!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3262012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've got pdfs of all Pearson Edexcel new spec textbooks and a few Oxford textbooks
nayajueun00
Rep:
?
oh okay I was confused with the usage of the name of papers from Cambridge exams 😅 Anyway thanks a lot!
Has anyone ever taken the mechanics 2 exam? I've checked out what it covers from the spec from pearson But as I skimmed the contents of an mechanics 4 and 5 textbooks published by pearson as a prep book of edexcel they actually contained more than those knowledges required in FM2 (as specified on the official spec in 2017-2019) like relative motion, stability and oscillation, rotation about a fixed axis for instance...

Should I just ignore those extra??
nayajueun00
Rep:
?
(Original post by tome123)
I've got pdfs of all Pearson Edexcel new spec textbooks and a few Oxford textbooks
sorry I've just found this qq Would you mind if I ask you to share them?? it would be appreciated..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (297)
43.48%

Watched Threads