The Student Room Group

Need help regarding A Level/AS

I’m 17 and I’ve just completed my AS exams in Biology, History and Religious Studies.

I’ve had to do Biology in another school and I’ve had some serious issues this year. I stopped caring for a good while during the year and now I’m not entirely sure I’ll pass any of my AS exams and I might have to repeat again.

Assuming I somehow pass and am allowed to continue into upper sixth, I definitely want to drop Biology. It’s just caused too much stress this past year and there’s no way I’m doing it all over again for another year. My question regards my choices if I do drop Biology.

My year head is aware of the likelihood of me dropping it, but she didn’t clear anything up before summer started. If I drop Biology, will I have to do another two years and basically repeat year 13? Can I pick up another AS and just try and get a really good grade? Is it even possible for me to continue with A level History and RE, and just do an AS on the side?

I also should mention that I have no idea what I want to do for uni anymore, I go through phases where I pick whatever I see on TV which isn’t helpful... I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m asked to repeat, I feel like my life is over.
Reply 1
YOu need to talk to your sixth from but many places will let you pick up a new subject at AS. 2 A levels and an AS is enough for entry to making university courses.
Original post by NEGEVNEOX
I’m 17 and I’ve just completed my AS exams in Biology, History and Religious Studies.

I’ve had to do Biology in another school and I’ve had some serious issues this year. I stopped caring for a good while during the year and now I’m not entirely sure I’ll pass any of my AS exams and I might have to repeat again.

Assuming I somehow pass and am allowed to continue into upper sixth, I definitely want to drop Biology. It’s just caused too much stress this past year and there’s no way I’m doing it all over again for another year. My question regards my choices if I do drop Biology.

My year head is aware of the likelihood of me dropping it, but she didn’t clear anything up before summer started. If I drop Biology, will I have to do another two years and basically repeat year 13? Can I pick up another AS and just try and get a really good grade? Is it even possible for me to continue with A level History and RE, and just do an AS on the side?

I also should mention that I have no idea what I want to do for uni anymore, I go through phases where I pick whatever I see on TV which isn’t helpful... I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m asked to repeat, I feel like my life is over.

Hey
You still at the beginning of your life, you have decades ahead of you. I am the same age as you and I sometimes do feel like I won’t be anywhere but it doesn’t really bother me. My advice to you is if you don’t know what you want to do, try to keep your options open by studying facilitating subjects”, such as Mathematics, history, English Literature and etc

Quick Reply

Latest