The Student Room Group

Trainee Ambulance Crew Assessment

So before doing my assessment I found little information about the assessment so heres some tips and info:

Dictation: ensure you go over spellings, don’t write too big as you use around 2 A4 sheets of paper. I used the 1st hearing to write quickly, 2nd to go over spellings etc. Really easy.

Maths: conversions, conversions, conversions! Mg to ml, mcg to mg etc. I used nurses conversions and practiced online it really isn’t difficult just do some revision on the basics. Simple adding mg’s and multiplying to get doses etc!
They had a small conversions key at the top of the paper.

Infection control: please ensure you read over document they send! I.e knowing what antibiotics can and cannot cure, as in they can’t cure viral infections only bacterial and know about formites, vectors etc! All in the document! Also some of the questions try and trick you, i.e if cleaning make sure you wear p.p.e, but if exterior is dirty do you use it to clean interior. Silly but easy mistake to make if read incorrectly!

Map reading: easy grid references, i.e you’re at gD20 if you’re on student road, and do a left, right, left, left, what road would you be on. Make sure you look at each road carefully an are able to distinguish where a new road begins! Easy to get caught out!

Theory assessment: whizz over your highway code, they send you the sections you need to revise, i.e stopping distances, speed limits, when and when not to overtake etc!

Lifting assessment: they demonstrate how to lift and put you into pairs, you then carry out the lifting test with your partner and then free to go. They let me know via email within 4hrs of leaving the centre.

Just read the documents you get and you’ll have nothing to worry about. The tests are on SAT like paper so you circle the answers on a separate sheet of paper.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Scroll to see replies

Thankyou so much for this!

I have just found out my assessment date and can’t find any information of what to except! :smile:
No worries! i felt the same prior to my assessment.. no need to stress about it. Good luck! Just got given my interview date.
(Original post by Georgii_92)Thankyou so much for this!

I have just found out my assessment date and can’t find any information of what to except! :smile:
Ahh well done! I hope you pass it 😬
Original post by Freewildreckless
So before doing my assessment I found little information about the assessment so heres some tips and info:

Dictation: ensure you go over spellings, don’t write too big as you use around 2 A4 sheets of paper. I used the 1st hearing to write quickly, 2nd to go over spellings etc. Really easy.

Maths: conversions, conversions, conversions! Mg to ml, mcg to mg etc. I used nurses conversions and practiced online it really isn’t difficult just do some revision on the basics. Simple adding mg’s and multiplying to get doses etc!
They had a small conversions key at the top of the paper.

Infection control: please ensure you read over document they send! I.e knowing what antibiotics can and cannot cure, as in they can’t cure viral infections only bacterial and know about formites, vectors etc! All in the document! Also some of the questions try and trick you, i.e if cleaning make sure you wear p.p.e, but if exterior is dirty do you use it to clean interior. Silly but easy mistake to make if read incorrectly!

Map reading: easy grid references, i.e you’re at gD20 if you’re on student road, and do a left, right, left, left, what road would you be on. Make sure you look at each road carefully an are able to distinguish where a new road begins! Easy to get caught out!

Theory assessment: whizz over your highway code, they send you the sections you need to revise, i.e stopping distances, speed limits, when and when not to overtake etc!

Lifting assessment: they demonstrate how to lift and put you into pairs, you then carry out the lifting test with your partner and then free to go. They let me know via email within 4hrs of leaving the centre.

Just read the documents you get and you’ll have nothing to worry about. The tests are on SAT like paper so you circle the answers on a separate sheet of paper.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Hi Did you get an interview? If you did what sort of questions were you asked??

Thank you!!

:smile:
Update: I passed the interview.It was fairly normal interview questions: i.eWhere do you see yourself in 5 yearsStrengths and weaknessesWhy that serviceYour views and what is meant by diversityWhy is it important to have a diverse serviceAnd obviously competency questions:colone:xample of time you were in stressful situationWhere you used your own initiativeA time where something went wrong and you rectified yourself. EtcTo be honest my 2 interviewers were lovely and friendly, very easy going and was able to have a laugh and joke with them. Just be yourself and its okay if you’re nervous, it just shows how much you want the job.Just had my medical and passed that, so onto the theory for C1!
Update: I passed the interview.It was fairly normal interview questions: i.eWhere do you see yourself in 5 yearsStrengths and weaknessesWhy that serviceYour views and what is meant by diversityWhy is it important to have a diverse serviceAnd obviously competency questions:colone:xample of time you were in stressful situationWhere you used your own initiativeA time where something went wrong and you rectified yourself. EtcTo be honest my 2 interviewers were lovely and friendly, very easy going and was able to have a laugh and joke with them. Just be yourself and its okay if you’re nervous, it just shows how much you want the job.Just had my medical and passed that, so onto the theory for C1!

Well done you!! And good luck with the C1. I have that already thank goodness!!
what happened in the medical?
Yeah that went fine, just bp, eye sight and regular lifestyle questions and thats all good!! Good luck with your interview, let me know how you get on. :smile:
(Original post by KJB111111)Well done you!! And good luck with the C1. I have that already thank goodness!!
Yeah that went fine, just bp, eye sight and regular lifestyle questions and thats all good!! Good luck with your interview, let me know how you get on. :smile:

Well done you!! And good luck with the C1. I have that already thank goodness!!
(Original post by KJB111111)Well done you!! And good luck with the C1. I have that already thank goodness!!

Thanks for your help. I’ll let you know!!!! :redface:
Hey guys,I have my assessment next week so it’s been really helpful reading this thread, thank you!Does anyone know the what the whole process is as I can’t seem to find it online? I already have a C1 symbol on the back of my driving licence, if I get as far as medical ect would I also need to do a theory test for a C1? Thanks
Thanks for this I have mine in 2 weeks. Can I ask what did you wear? It says smart casual with comfortable shoes??
Hey,

I wore smart black trousers and shirt but there were people there in ripped jeans and trainers, so it really is up to you. I took trainers with me for the lifting assessment.

For the dictation test I made the mistake of not listening to the recording the second time round and going by what I had written first and then I lost track, so just make sure you listen to the recording both times. I passed the assessment so now waiting for an interview date. Good luck with your assessment :smile:
Reply 12
Just applied for this role!

Thanks for the information, should I get an assessment I will definitely be coming back to this thread.

Good look to everyone else in the thread.
Hey, I have my interview in a few weeks and I need to obtain my C1. Did they say at the interview how long you have to do the theory test ect and pass for the C1?I have my medical today to send off for my C1 provisional.Thanks
Original post by D.undasan
Hey, I have my interview in a few weeks and I need to obtain my C1. Did they say at the interview how long you have to do the theory test ect and pass for the C1?I have my medical today to send off for my C1 provisional.Thanks

On the application form it says you have to pass your c1 practical exam within 3 months of interview so once you've completed your interview and assessment .. 3 months from then you need to obtain the c1 driving....
I have a quick question? Once you've passed the interview stage, how long do you wait till you officially start the training/studying?
Ok thank you for letting me know. If you have any recommendations for hgv driving lessons please let me know. I plan to do the theory ect myself. I’m getting a little practice at work as I drive a 3.5 tonne van but want some lessons to brush up on bad habits ect.

Thanks again!
Just an update: so I had my theory today, smashed it. And for a rough timescale.. I still haven’t been given a start date, so far they’ve told me there isn’t any available until end of April, but they are always opening new course dates.
When are you taking the practical exam test for the c1?
Just an update: so I had my theory today, smashed it. And for a rough timescale.. I still haven’t been given a start date, so far they’ve told me there isn’t any available until end of April, but they are always opening new course dates.

What about the practical driving test?

Quick Reply