V1404 – Prohibition of Conversion Therapy Bill 2018

Watch
Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (20)
45.45%
On the contrary, No (12)
27.27%
Abstain (12)
27.27%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
V1404 – Prohibition of Conversion Therapy Bill 2018, TSR National Conservative Party, g131999 MP
Prohibition of Conversion Therapy Bill 2018

A
BILL
TO

Prohibit gay conversion therapy in the UK and impose sanctions on practitioners who attempt to conduct further therapy..

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Definitions
(1) ‘Conversion therapy’ refers to any form of treatment or psychotherapy which aims to reduce or stop same-sex attraction or to suppress a person's gender identity.

2. Prohibition
(1) The following are hereby illegal in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland–
(a) actively partaking in the process of trying to convert individuals; and,
(b) directly offering conversion therapy to individuals; and,
(c) promoting conversion therapy to persons; and,
(d) pressuring individuals to partake in conversion therapy.

3: Procedures conducted on persons under the age of 18 years
(1) Persons who offer or conduct treatment under section 2(1)(a) shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment not exceeding 10 years, a fine not exceeding £25,000 or both.
(2) Persons who offer or conduct treatment under section 2(1)(b) shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years imprisonment, to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or both.
(3) Persons who offer or conduct treatment under section 2(1)(c) shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment not exceeding 12 months imprisonment, to a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both.
(4) Persons who commit an act under section 2(1)(d) shall be liable to–
(a) a maximum of 2 years imprisonment, to a fine not exceeding £10,000, or to both, if they are a part of a group offering ‘gay conversion therapy’, or
(b) a maximum of 12 months imprisonment, to a fine not exceeding £10,000, or to both, if they are not part of a group offering ‘gay conversion therapy’.

4: Procedures conducted on persons over the age 18 years
(1) Persons who offer or perform treatment under section 2(1)(a) shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years, a fine not exceeding £12,500 or both.
(2) Persons who offer or perform treatment under section 2(1)(b) shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment not exceeding 2 years, a fine not exceeding £10,000 or both.
(3) Persons who commit an offence under section 2 (1)(c) shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment not exceeding 6 months, a fine not exceeding £2,500 or both.
(4) Persons who commit an offence under section 2 (1)(d) shall be liable, on indictment:–
(a) imprisonment not exceeding 2 years, a fine not exceeding £10,000 or both if they are part of a group offering ‘gay conversion therapy’; or,
(b) imprisonment not exceeding 8 months, a fine not exceeding £7,500 or both if they are not part of a group offering ‘gay conversion therapy’.

5. Commencement, Short Title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Prohibition of Conversion Therapy Act 2018.
(2) This Act shall extend to the United Kingdom.
(3) This Act shall come into force upon Royal Assent.

Spoiler:
Show
6. Notes
Conversion therapy is one of the worst psychiatric practices to take place. A national survey[1] has suggested that 2% of the LGBT community have undergone conversion therapy with another 5% having been offered the therapy at some point. The methods of the therapy are often unethical ranging from electroshock therapy to physical torture[2].

Many medical associations condemn this practice and state that attempting such therapy is rarely, if at all, successful. The therapy can be detrimental to the patient's mental state and therefore this bill seeks to make any practising or offering of conversion or reparative therapy illegal in the United Kingdom.

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/public...summary-report
[2] https://www.ranker.com/list/conversi...ike-rothschild

Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I respect g13199's view on conversion therapy being ineffective and baseless, but I don't agree that something being ineffective in the market means it should be shut down. It's as simple as that. Users have made this issue more complex than it really is. It's just a case of people being offended by the idea that one could be disgusted by their heretic sexuality. This isn't a debate on concentration camps for homosexuals or lobotomy coercion.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Making someone undergo it yes should be illegal but if someone wants to of their own free will then they should be allowed
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've decided to go for an aye vote, despite the fact that I'd be more comfortable if the bill has slightly lighter sanctions and if it allowed adults who have freely chosen such 'treatment' (without being pressured) to be able to undergo it without those administering it being subject to sanction.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I've decided to go for an aye vote, despite the fact that I'd be more comfortable if the bill has slightly lighter sanctions and if it allowed adults who have freely chosen such 'treatment' (without being pressured) to be able to undergo it without those administering it being subject to sanction.
So you are voting to ban something you believe should be allowed
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joep95)
So you are voting to ban something you believe should be allowed
Because I agree with more of this bill than I disagree with, and I agree with the intentions behind the bill.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Because I agree with more of this bill than I disagree with, and I agree with the intentions behind the bill.
It criminalises 4 things

so which ones do you agree with and which ones do you oppose?
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joep95)
It criminalises 4 things

so which ones do you agree with and which ones do you oppose?
I agree with all of those for children. For adults, I disagree with (a) and (b) but agree with (c) and (d).
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Absolutely not because it not only heavily criminalises independent decisions by adults but also research which could eventually help people suffering from sexual identity and orientation disorders. While I agree that certain forms of ‘therapy’ should be prohibited, these are no longer being done anyway and this isn't a remotely good way of doing it. I urge everyone to vote against this bill.
Scisaac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One of the easiest ayes I have given since my reappointment
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Freedom of contract and all that ****, this is just a lazy way to stop cohesion into conversion therapy by infringing upon the freedom of contract we would all otherwise be able to extercise
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 20
The Noes to the left: 12
Abstentions: 12

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 88%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.89%
I'm not sure (32)
4.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.29%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (327)
47.81%

Watched Threads