• Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
Glad that you got to Leeds (eventually!) and enjoyed it :thumbsup:
:jive: for getting a good economics teacher
Yeah I've managed to get to Leeds (eventually) and I actually love their history department.

We've actually been struggling to find the right person for Head of Economics until we've hired TLY but never seen him before since we had our first lesson on Friday with him.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
Sounds like you're all organised

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remind me to leave plenty of time in advance for York next Saturday as I don't want to be in a mess again - missing a bloody train. Yes, I'm usually well organised.
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Remind me to leave plenty of time in advance for York next Saturday as I don't want to be in a mess again - missing a bloody train. Yes, I'm usually well organised.
What time do you need to leave? I'm leaving just after 7 so could probably poke you around then! Thankfully I arrived like 3 minutes before my train and was on the near platform so was okay yesterday, otherwise would have been an hour wait because of the stupid strikes taking away the fast trains

Posted from TSR Mobile
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
What time do you need to leave? I'm leaving just after 7 so could probably poke you around then! Thankfully I arrived like 3 minutes before my train and was on the near platform so was okay yesterday, otherwise would have been an hour wait because of the stupid strikes taking away the fast trains

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm getting the 08:06 train from London King's Cross to York with LNER so I'm probably leaving around 7:15 if not earlier. At least for me it's a fast train direct to York so it's slightly quicker. Where you going?
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm getting the 08:06 train from London King's Cross to York with LNER so I'm probably leaving around 7:15 if not earlier. At least for me it's a fast train direct to York so it's slightly quicker. Where you going?
Nice, I'll try and remember to poke you then
I'm off to Somerset (3.5 hours drive :eek:) for a party... Had 2 different open days I sort of wanted to do that day but oh well, get to see people I haven't seen in a few years which will be nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Nice, I'll try and remember to poke you then
I'm off to Somerset (3.5 hours drive :eek:) for a party... Had 2 different open days I sort of wanted to do that day but oh well, get to see people I haven't seen in a few years which will be nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need to learn how to drive but I'm still a (slightly) irresponsible little kid lol. You know where to poke me then Enjoy Somerset
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I need to learn how to drive but I'm still a (slightly) irresponsible little kid lol. You know where to poke me then Enjoy Somerset
You should learn, it's great even if you don't do it much (although I can understand why you wouldn't from where you are)
I do, will do my best to remember!
I will You too in York!

Posted from TSR Mobile
stalkingsilence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
isn't bodyguard so good
hope leeds was all you hoped it would be
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by stalkingsilence)
isn't bodyguard so good
hope leeds was all you hoped it would be
It is very good - will be catching up on Episode 4 at some point this week. Leeds was great despite the morning nightmare on Saturday and I'm seriously considering making it my firm but I'm also in a predicament over York atm.
ab173
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

[/color]

About Me
Hello everyone! I'm CoffeeAndPolitics aka C&P/JT and I've been a Community Assistant for Study Help since July 2017 and I deal with pre-GCSE, GCSE, A-Level and UCAS related enquires in my own capacity and I also help to keep the sub-forum tidy. If you want advice about study help, please feel free to quote me in threads or PM me.

What subjects do I study?
A-Level History, Economics and Sociology
Spoiler:
Show

History (OCR - Spec A)
- Britain 1930-1997
- Russia 1894-1941
- Tudor Foreign Policy
- Coursework (Margaret Thatcher)

Economics (Edexcel - Spec A)
- Theme 1 Introduction to Markets and Market Failure (Micro)
- Theme 2 The UK Economy - Performance and Policies (Macro)
- Theme 3 Business Behaviour and the Labour Market (Micro)
- Theme 4 A Global Perspective (Macro)

Sociology (AQA)
- Education with Theory and Methods
- Families and Households (Option chosen by school)
- Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
- Beliefs in Society (Option chosen by school)

Academic Record
UCAS Predictions
What I think I will be predicted: ABB or AAB (if I'm lucky)
What I am predicted: TBC
Spoiler:
Show

End of Year 12 Results
History (A)
Economics (C)
Sociology (C)

GCSE
English Language (6)
English Literature (7)
Maths (5)
Core Science (B)
Additional Science (B)
Computer Science (B)
History (B)
French (B)
Cantonese Chinese (A)

University Choices
Below I will leave information about the progress of my UCAS application that I will continue to update as and when I receive offers/rejections:
Spoiler:
Show

Application Submitted:
University of Leeds - International History & Politics BA

University of Warwick - History & Politics BA

University of Birmingham - History & Political Science BA

University of Sussex - History & Politics BA

University of Lancaster (Furness College) - History & Politics BA

Blog Updates
Your thread is more organised than my life. Good luck and please tag me?
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by ab173)
Your thread is more organised than my life. Good luck and please tag me?
Let's just say that I'm usually pretty well organised. That just reminds me that I need to edit the OP to add the link to my latest blog update. Thanks and good luck to you as well in your studies and ofc I will tag you in the next post.
DeepInTheMeadow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
09/09/18 Delayed start to the new academic year and University of Leeds open day

For some unusual reason, I started the new academic year on Friday which was a phased in return so we were probably one of the last ones to return to school in the local borough. That gave me some time to binge watch BBC 1's new Drama series, Bodyguard and get some other things done. So far, I have met all of my new teachers for Economics and Sociology respectively.

Economics: CFA is no longer teaching me Economics as he's gone back to teaching Year 8s History instead and since he's taking up the role of acting Head of 6th Form on top of being the person responsible for careers, he has a lot on his hands anyways. Therefore, TLY who is a newly hired teacher and Head of Economics for both my school and the sister school is teaching me instead. Compared to CFA, TLY certainly has more experience teaching Economics as he has been an examiner and knows what examiners are looking for and he takes the time to make the concepts clear and the way the lessons are split up sounds good. We will spend Friday's double lesson on revision/exam techniques and Tuesday and Wednesday's lesson going over the new content we haven't learn (Theme 4 - Global Perspective).

Sociology: SBR replaces both MBA/MSE (her new initials as she got married recently) and WWH because my school hired a new teacher to teach us Sociology and she also teaches Year 7/8s Humanities as we're short of teaching staff. We haven't actually had a lesson yet but I did have a short chat with her during my afternoon frees to discuss with her about what happened last year in terms of the teaching and what extra work we need to consolidate the AS content (I've been making revision resources) and just re-introducing myself as we've last seen each other since her job interview several months back. In short, she's a really lovely teacher who you can talk to and her teaching is excellent, it's not all about reading from the textbook and summarising the text and listening to the teacher who's effectively lecturing at you. She encourages active discussions/interactive learning and independent study - by this I mean being set certain pages to read from the textbook to come back to the lesson ready to discuss what we've learnt and go over anything we don't quite understand.

Trice-weekly assessments: This is a new thing being introduced in my 6th form which is basically an interim assessment every 3 weeks to better assess our progress and it gets posted home to our parents which allows my teachers to assess my progress and for me to see what I need to work on. That is then followed by three formal assessments (internal mock exams) in Autumn/Winter, Spring and Summer - we only have the Autumn and Spring mocks this academic year which isn't a full year.

Yesterday, I went to the University of Leeds open day and the day started of quite badly as I've missed my train literally by seconds and was struggling to find the platform which was completely my fault and I've learnt that my outbound tickets couldn't be refunded so I've lost £13 down the drain - something I just want to put aside and not think about. Fortunately, I managed to get another outbound ticket for a decent price and get there later than planned but I still managed to attend the History talk and get information I need for the information stands. In short, I'm in love with the History department - one of the largest and best in the UK - both Professor Andrea Major (Head of School) and Prof James Harris (Director of Admissions) are really lovely and it was mostly Professor James Harris pitching why history and talking about the different courses you can do. For International History and Politics BA, it's a single honours degree and they usually accept around 60 students in each year and the course is very well structured. In the second year you do a documents and debates in international history long essay (6,00 words) which is essentially a pre-dissertation dissertation which is a fantastic way to prepare for the actual dissertation in the 3rd year and they're thinking of introducing this in their History BA course and for other History combinations as well. What's particularly giving me a predicament at the moment is that I meet the requirements for Access to Leeds and if I complete and pass the programme and make Leeds my firm choice, I get the reduced offer of ABB (standard offer is AAA) which is good. However, I also like York but for History and Politics their entry requirement is AAA (clearing this year was ABB from what I can remember) but for History BA their entry requirement is AAA or A*AB (minimum A in History). All I need to know is the difference between the two courses and whether you choose non-history modules in the History BA course.

QFA List

QFA
Spoiler:
Show

If you wish to be added/remove from the QFA List please comment down below to let me know.
I can't believe that you were also at the Leeds open day! I was there too, we could have bumped into each other and never known it!!!! :laugh:
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
I can't believe that you were also at the Leeds open day! I was there too, we could have bumped into each other and never known it!!!! :laugh:
I've overheard someone on the train talking to their grandma (afaik) about the open day as I was several seats behind minding my own business and doing some reading for history. Btw, I had a nightmare over the trains so had I not missed it, there would have been a larger chance that I may have bumped into you. :laugh:
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
13/09/18 Hectic start to Year 13

I don't normally update on Thursday's but this is a one-off as I'm extremely busy this week and there will be another update about the University of York Open Day on Sunday.

Economics (TLY): I'm still adapting to his unusual teaching style but so far I'm finding the way he incorporates the exam techniques and tips into the lesson extremely valuable and it feels like already we would do well in an economics essay question if we follow exactly what he says and learn some of the key AOs (AO1-4) for the different topics. Currently we're doing 4.1.1 Globalisation which isn't a hard topic to grasp.

History: In LGR's independent essay lesson, I was given a next action step which is to find primary sources for my question (for next Monday) which shouldn't be too difficult because my essay is based on Thatcher and Blair. For LGR's other lesson, we're revising the 'Russia 1894-1941' unit and we've been given a copy of the exam techniques in case we've forgotten and we planned a nasty 10 marker question which we need to write for homework for next Wednesday. In MPO's lessons, we're now looking at Henry VII's Foreign Policy for Scotland and considering the traditional and revisionist viewpoints.

Sociology (SBR): Since Monday, we've made steady progress in covering the new content for 'Beliefs in Society' and 'Crime and Deviance' by looking at the different sociological perspectives and covering the key sociologists' arguments. So far I'm really enjoying lessons with the new teacher as we cover the content really quickly and her way of teaching is more interactive compared to what I've experienced last year. We would've been wasting hours condensing information from a textbook some of which is actually waffle and irrelevant and having last time for exam practice. Speaking of exam practice, we're going to be set an exam style question for private study/homework once we've covered a bit more for both units.

The Access Project: For those who don't know what TAP is, it's a charity that works with bright students like myself from disadvantaged areas to give us access to top universities. Recently, my University Access Officer has been trying to match me to a new tutor for Economics as I've been pestering her since last year about getting an Economics tutor as this is arguably the subject I struggle with the most. Sadly, I'm potentially no longer going to be tutored in History as my tutor is too busy with his new job but if that happens, I'll be fine - we can still stay in contact and I can ask him for help in History should I need it. I also have a 1:1 meeting scheduled with her in due course to finalise my university choices, to sort out my personal statement and to discuss plans to make Year 13 a success.

UCAS: Surprisingly, my form tutor, MHI (Head of Year 13) has completed my reference for UCAS already which is great as it leaves me in a good position to get make final tweaks to my personal statement before getting started with the whole UCAS application process in the next two weeks.

Song of the week:
Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier

QFA List

QFA
Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
x
(Original post by nyxnko)
x
(Original post by sinnoh)
x
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
x
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
x
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
x
(Original post by CoolCavy)
x
(Original post by Jack22031994)
x
(Original post by Labrador99)
x
(Original post by laurawatt)
x
(Original post by VisualUnicorn)
x
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
x
(Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
x
(Original post by Subz152)
x
(Original post by TheEnchantress)
x
(Original post by Michiyo)
x
(Original post by dinomite)
x
(Original post by stalkingsilence)
x
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
x

If you wish to be added/remove from the QFA List please comment down below to let me know.
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
so you're going to be getting an economics tutor but not a history one?
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
so you're going to be getting an economics tutor but not a history one?
Potentially and what's really annoying is that my University Access Officer hasn't been communicating well with me about matching me and potentially others to new tutors for their subjects. I really hope my History tutor can still tutor me as he's amazing but I'll still manage if he isn't able to.
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Potentially and what's really annoying is that my University Access Officer hasn't been communicating well with me about matching me and potentially others to new tutors for their subjects. I really hope my History tutor can still tutor me as he's amazing but I'll still manage if he isn't able to.
lack of communication seems to be such a big problem when it comes to organisation smh. hope everything goes well and to plan
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
lack of communication seems to be such a big problem when it comes to organisation smh. hope everything goes well and to plan
I hope so - super worried about how I’ll survive the months ahead of Year 13. 😬😬😬
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Sounds like you're starting well with year 13 :yep:
Hope TAP gets sorted out well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
stalkingsilence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
it definitely sounds hectic!
hope all goes well with tap :wizard2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (118)
40.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise