TheLocalHero
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello Everyone!

I’m currently in my last year of studying Biomedical Science, and i’m applying for the 5 year medicine courses next year! Currently i’m predicted a upper first, and i’ve got a ukcat of 2570. I’ve done 6 months volunteering as a hospital volunteer, 1 week shadowing, 1 week as a nursing home volunteer, and i’ve done 1.5 years of volunteering as a school charity organiser.

My question is can I use my maintenance loan to pay for my tuition fee? I’m unsure of the amount I will get on a second degree living at home. Thanks!
Romatron
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your maintenance loan, as you know, is paid directly into your bank account. Whether you spend that on rent, tuition, or prostitutes is up to you.

However, how much if any maintenance loan you would be eligible for, I'm not sure. Medicine as a second degree has some additional "clauses", which I believe allows you to be eligible for a maintenance loan only for the preclinical (i.e. non-NHS funded) portion of the degree. However, normally if you are registered as living at home you aren't eligible for a maintenance loan. I would recommend you contact SFE to query this latter point.

Also I'm not really sure what the relevance of your application statistics are for the question...
TheLocalHero
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Your maintenance loan, as you know, is paid directly into your bank account. Whether you spend that on rent, tuition, or prostitutes is up to you.

However, how much if any maintenance loan you would be eligible for, I'm not sure. Medicine as a second degree has some additional "clauses", which I believe allows you to be eligible for a maintenance loan only for the preclinical (i.e. non-NHS funded) portion of the degree. However, normally if you are registered as living at home you aren't eligible for a maintenance loan. I would recommend you contact SFE to query this latter point.

Also I'm not really sure what the relevance of your application statistics are for the question...
So if the maintanance loan goes directly into my bank , then in theory could I use that money to fund the tuition fee? Also I have no clue why I decided to put my stats (Must of been my ego). Haha Thanks, you answered my question.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheLocalHero)
So if the maintanance loan goes directly into my bank , then in theory could I use that money to fund the tuition fee? Also I have no clue why I decided to put my stats (Must of been my ego). Haha Thanks, you answered my question.
Yes, given the caveats noted above. I had to self-fund tuition fees for a year at uni, and used my maintenance loan to pay for that while savings and my mum helped pay for my accommodation. However this was on the old fees, so my maintenance loan then covered the tuition fee in full - bear in mind currently the maintenance loan is less than the maximum tuition fee (i.e. the standard tuition fee).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads