Victoria.White
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello!

I’m Victoria, and am hoping to apply for 2019 entry to the Performance Costume course at Edinburgh University. I’m aware that now is the time to be thinking about the mini portfolio to go alongside my personal statement, though I’m a little lost as to how to display and present the portfolio, as well as what to include (e.g. should fine art be included? How many images should be submitted?). I’ve searched around for examples of Performance Costume portfolios from previous years, however I’ve so far found nothing. I just wondered if any successful/past applicants would be able to give any tips or advice, or better still, share their portfolios? Seeing any Art & Design portfolios would be helpful, though perhaps Performance Costume most of all.)
Thanks for any help!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The portfolio guide is quite clear
https://www.eca.ed.ac.uk/sites/defau...ply%202018.pdf page 9 onwards
Performance Costume
A strong portfolio is likely to display the following:
– Strong drawing ability and imagemaking ability.
– Engagement with textiles.
– Experience of costume design for character, often evidenced through school project or personal project.
– Manual skill in making, e.g. millinery, costume, models, puppets etc.
– Evidence of creative thinking through design development, experimentation with materials, interesting and varied research.
– Unexpected and creative conjunctions of materials and ideas or references, and their synthesis.
– Practical implementation of costume design, e.g. involvement with costuming performance, perhaps a school play or amateur theatre group.
– Engagement with contemporary design, awareness of contemporary trends, designers, film, drama, exhibitions.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also remember you've got plenty of time to get help from your teachers - the deadline is Jan 30th to upload your mini portfolio for Edinburgh. There's no bonus for uploading early.
Victoria.White
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for the response! I’ve actually read through their published guidelines previously, which was obviously a brilliant starting point. I was more wondering if there are any current/past students who would be willing to share their portfolios, as I would be very interested to see how they approached the task. Any guidance would be incredibly useful- I’d be beyond grateful.
Thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads