Help with ECA Performance Costume Mini-Portfolio?Watch
I’m Victoria, and am hoping to apply for 2019 entry to the Performance Costume course at Edinburgh University. I’m aware that now is the time to be thinking about the mini portfolio to go alongside my personal statement, though I’m a little lost as to how to display and present the portfolio, as well as what to include (e.g. should fine art be included? How many images should be submitted?). I’ve searched around for examples of Performance Costume portfolios from previous years, however I’ve so far found nothing. I just wondered if any successful/past applicants would be able to give any tips or advice, or better still, share their portfolios? Seeing any Art & Design portfolios would be helpful, though perhaps Performance Costume most of all.)
Thanks for any help!
https://www.eca.ed.ac.uk/sites/defau...ply%202018.pdf page 9 onwards
A strong portfolio is likely to display the following:
– Strong drawing ability and imagemaking ability.
– Engagement with textiles.
– Experience of costume design for character, often evidenced through school project or personal project.
– Manual skill in making, e.g. millinery, costume, models, puppets etc.
– Evidence of creative thinking through design development, experimentation with materials, interesting and varied research.
– Unexpected and creative conjunctions of materials and ideas or references, and their synthesis.
– Practical implementation of costume design, e.g. involvement with costuming performance, perhaps a school play or amateur theatre group.
– Engagement with contemporary design, awareness of contemporary trends, designers, film, drama, exhibitions.
Thanks for your help!