Urgent advice needed in terms of picking unis..

Watch
Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, with open days in the coming two months, I started to look at universities in detail and make a shortlist.

Starting with 9 universities I liked, I realised that a couple were out of my league so I ruled those out (Bath, Bristol).

As I want to progress into MSc Forensic Psychology, I need to do a BPS accredited degree in psychology. I started to look at the course content at different unis and I'm starting to realise that some are better than others.
For instance, I was really interested in Southampton's Psychology and Criminology course but in reality, the modules aren't too related to what I want to do.

On the other hand, Royal Holloway's psych + crim has interesting modules but I never saw it as a serious option until now.

I was looking to apply for both psychology AND psychology + crim but I don't know if just psychology is going to involve my interest in crime and forensic psychology as much as I would like.

One option is to aim for lower universities, but then I'd feel like I am underachieving and could've done better. My predicted grades are A*, A and B.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm actually lost.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Criminalis)
So, with open days in the coming two months, I started to look at universities in detail and make a shortlist.

Starting with 9 universities I liked, I realised that a couple were out of my league so I ruled those out (Bath, Bristol).

As I want to progress into MSc Forensic Psychology, I need to do a BPS accredited degree in psychology. I started to look at the course content at different unis and I'm starting to realise that some are better than others.
For instance, I was really interested in Southampton's Psychology and Criminology course but in reality, the modules aren't too related to what I want to do.

On the other hand, Royal Holloway's psych + crim has interesting modules but I never saw it as a serious option until now.

I was looking to apply for both psychology AND psychology + crim but I don't know if just psychology is going to involve my interest in crime and forensic psychology as much as I would like.

One option is to aim for lower universities, but then I'd feel like I am underachieving and could've done better. My predicted grades are A*, A and B.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm actually lost.
Why "urgent"? You have until January to finalise your shortlist....

Also you can certainly apply to 1 or 2 universities above your predicted grades. Depending on your choices you can be likely to get an offer.

Have a look at https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
also Which?University gives overall offer rates
e.g. Bristol is 75% https://university.which.co.uk/unive...8-96c24c5c5c43
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads