Finally had the guts to change my driving instructor (read before judging) Watch

12bangc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As the title reads today I’ve finally had the nerves to change my driving instructor, as silly as this may sound, please hear me out:

So my last driving instructor was recommended by a family friend and apparently he had passed his driving relatively quickly, as a result my family friend introduced me to him because of how fast he taught him.

Fast foward I was unhappy with the prices of my first driving instructor and so I decided to switch. The first lesson was alright and there was nothing out of the ordinary but we did ask about my personal life like gf and some other personal questions (which I found strange but just thought that he was the chit-chat kind of guy) so I thought nothing of it.

The second lesson came and I asked him to pick me up from school and he did but when he arrived 1) he didn’t text or call me at all (presumably to waste time I’m not sure) which I told him to 2) when I got in the car and told him that he was in the wrong gate he said made a fuss about it when he was clearly wrong about it, deciding not to waste any lesson I tried to forget about it and concentrate on driving.

We drove down this small little village down where I live and I was a bit nervous that day and a bit sweaty so obviously I wasn’t in my best driving mode but I did try my hardest to concentrate and made only small (?) errors like lifting the clutch just a tiny bit too fast and he got absolutely ape **** about it and from the lesson on continued to call me a “****ing bull in a china shop” which I thought was kind’ve strange since I’m Chinese as well (but again I didn’t think too much of it.) The second lesson should’ve obviously been a red flag because if he was to shout at me and use foul language for making such simple mistakes then wonder how he’ll react when I make a big one. I also got the impression that he was very impatient and disliked his job but there was also an external factor that his gf (that he lied and called his wife) had crashed and been hospitalised, she survived afterwards.

Over the few next consecutively lessons he was more or less the same until I told my mum about it and she confronted him about him and from then on he swore less, still used the F word for whatever reason though. Also in between lessons I would ask friends or family if their instructors shouted to them like that and they said no but from lurking on a few posts on here some students have also been in similar positions.

The last time I saw him I payed him £210 for a total of 10 hours learning and I thought it would’ve brung a smile onto his face but he looked dissatisfied and said that I can’t do it next time (which again, I found was a blatant fabrication)

I would also like to say that I consider myself a coward for not standing up to him and not using him but deep in my mind I was kinda afraid of him and hoped things would’ve changed, they didn’t.

Fast foward to today I called the company and they told me that what he did was wrong and irresponsible, I have now cancelled all my lessons with him and that the remaining lessons I paid for were transferred to my new driving instructor. I didn’t send him a single text about it.

Thank you if you’ve read this far it’s nice to be able to vent sometimes and if you’re in a similar position I would suggest you change your instructor immediately before irreversible mental damage like what happened to me, I have anxiety and it messes up my entire week just thinking of him shouting at me
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're paying for the lessons on this. You're the boss. If the driving instructor isn't one with which you are 100% satisfied, do an Alan Sugar and tell him "You're fired!"
habesha97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes you did the right thing.. my previous driving instructor didnt even shout or swore at me but i could tell he was getting pissed off with the stuff i do wrong so it really knocked my confidence and it made dread every lesson i had with him. he would also like talk down to me indirectly as if im stupid! i changed him and ever since ive been wit h a good instructor and learnt way so many things but undfortunately i ended up paying double as i wasted time with the previous one. I will be spending aroung £2400 all together before i take my test and its really annoying me the fact i wasted so much money.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
My instructor Patrick use to spend 8 min of the beginning of the lesson booking 3 lessons ahead and yet I hadn't even seen his performance yet on the first taster lesson.

I feel your pain! My independent driving instructor Patrick Culleton (Autodrive Automatic) at first seemed to be good in his teaching technique. However, i became flabbergasted by his behaviour. 20 min into the lesson he gets out and smokes pretending to teach me about the engine. Then the other day I clipped the curb as I was going into the test centre as some driver was driving out and he screamed at me "I told you not to do that". He gave me silent treatment for about 5 min and he brought up the same issue up and said "you should have never done that before" with a look of contempt. Another time I accidentally made another mistake the lesson before and he said "that's a stupid thing you did" and "why did you do that?". Anyway every lesson he refuses to drop me of at my home instead drops me off in another road 5 mins away because he says it's too long for him and I haven't got a jacket on and I'm freezing cold, so I had to once walk in the pitch dark alone. He even mentioned on my test day that he wont be able to pick me up from my home as it's apparently too much bother for him. So my next lesson I have a jacket on because I have to do that walk back home (he won't drop me off home) he said you cant wear a jacket it will restrict your driving, meanwhile he's wearing a thick coat)🤔. I tried to book with him for Saturday and he said he cannot book me in unless I pay upfront block lessons and that they are for special paying customers who have paid upfront. Every lesson he names and shames a student he taught and rants what stupid mistakes they made. Last lesson he was texting whilst I was driving and also at the traffic light. So that was my experience! I am going to kick him to the curb! He thinks he's doing me a favour by teaching me when I'm the paying customer. His general temper is unforgivable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (168)
48.55%
No (42)
12.14%
I'm not old enough (136)
39.31%

Watched Threads