Any TV shows/movies/bands/youtubers in foreign languages you can recommend?

Watch this thread
spacewalkr
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm a bit of a languages fanatic and teach myself a few as well as doing a few in school. I've noticed my French accent and listening skills have improved a fair bit after starting to listen to French music so I'd like to continue that.
The languages I'm interested in finding more TV shows/bands/movies/youtubers in are French, Russian, Japanese and Norwegian so I'd appreciate any recs in those languages!
Simbess
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hello!! That's awesome - are you considering doing languages at university?

I can help you out a bit with French!

French music:
Stromae is great to start with. It's nothing like you hear on the radio today but the music is great. Louane is also a great french singer. I sometimes just listen to the disney music in French on youtube - it helps if you know the lyrics in English already as that can help with the learning of vocab.
Some of Gary Fico's music is worth a listen to as well.

French movies:
Les intouchables: One of my favourite french movies ever - Omar Sy and Francois Cluzet. Focusing on disability, and integration from two completely different walks of life - Simply amazing.
Samba: Again, Omar Sy - Brilliant and easy enough to understand film about racism and immigration. Great for A level syllabus work too.
La famille Belier: Brilliant film about a family who are deaf, where their daughter can speak and discovers she is a great singer. Focuses a lot on family and following the life of this teenager. I've only given a brief intro but it's definitely well worth a watch - the teenage actress is Louane (who I mentioned earlier in music).
La Haine: (I'll be surprised if you haven't watched this for A level French yet). It centres around police violence and les banlieuses (there is much more to it than that though).
L'armee du Crime: Quite a hard hitting film, but great fi you want to learn some more about modern French history.

Hope this helps? I might update it if I think of anything else suitable
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Narcos has a lot of important dialogue in English subtitles and Colombian Spanish. Sons of Anarchy has American accents so thick they're basically a new language.
spacewalkr
Rep:
(Original post by Simbess)
Hello!! That's awesome - are you considering doing languages at university?

I can help you out a bit with French!

French music:
Stromae is great to start with. It's nothing like you hear on the radio today but the music is great. Louane is also a great french singer. I sometimes just listen to the disney music in French on youtube - it helps if you know the lyrics in English already as that can help with the learning of vocab.
Some of Gary Fico's music is worth a listen to as well.

French movies:
Les intouchables: One of my favourite french movies ever - Omar Sy and Francois Cluzet. Focusing on disability, and integration from two completely different walks of life - Simply amazing.
Samba: Again, Omar Sy - Brilliant and easy enough to understand film about racism and immigration. Great for A level syllabus work too.
La famille Belier: Brilliant film about a family who are deaf, where their daughter can speak and discovers she is a great singer. Focuses a lot on family and following the life of this teenager. I've only given a brief intro but it's definitely well worth a watch - the teenage actress is Louane (who I mentioned earlier in music).
La Haine: (I'll be surprised if you haven't watched this for A level French yet). It centres around police violence and les banlieuses (there is much more to it than that though).
L'armee du Crime: Quite a hard hitting film, but great fi you want to learn some more about modern French history.

Hope this helps? I might update it if I think of anything else suitable
Thank you so much!! And yep I'm definitely considering languages for uni if I can find a decent course
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Engrenages ( = Spirals in UK ) is a brilliant cop show.
BreadRoll04
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Skam for Norwegian
spacewalkr
Rep:
(Original post by BreadRoll04)
Skam for Norwegian
thank you but I've already seen it all and rewatched it a few times too haha
Toastiekid
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Mercredi des réponses is a french YouTube channel I quite like
Cat?
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Pewdiepie and Smosh for English. :troll:
Ryanzmw
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by spacewalkr)
I'm a bit of a languages fanatic and teach myself a few as well as doing a few in school. I've noticed my French accent and listening skills have improved a fair bit after starting to listen to French music so I'd like to continue that.
The languages I'm interested in finding more TV shows/bands/movies/youtubers in are French, Russian, Japanese and Norwegian so I'd appreciate any recs in those languages!
Long-time language learner here, my best advice to you is to watch a lot of the cartoon 'Adventure time' in your target language (mine are Russian and Japanese) and I can't express enough how amazing this show is for language learning.

Firstly, the episodes are only 10 minutes a piece so you don't find yourself starting an episode and then getting bored of having to concentrate.

Secondly, the tone of the show is really great for language learning: Finn and Jake speak to each other in a very laid-back way and include a lot of the more universal slang (e.g. bro, dude, cray-cray) stuff like that

Finally, because the the show is so incredibly popular there are 10 seasons which are super easy to find online for free. (nudge nudge gidonline)

EDIT:
Russian title: Время приключений.
Japanese title:アドベンチャータイム
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads