Leeds, Edinburgh, Durham or Cranfield for MSC Investment

Watch
Genial.Kris
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello there, Im looking forward to applying at the aforementioned universities for an MSC in Finance/Investment course but as my country of origin is India, my knowledge about the universities at UK is limited. If you could help me understand the nuances from an education and placement perspective about these universities, my thoughts would gain further clarity.
Romatron
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Prom317
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Looking forward to this course too and still have many choices. Loughborough, Strathclyde, Durham, Lancaster, Leeds, Bath......
Hopefully I will get some answers. We might be at the same place next year haha.

From what I know so far which you can search ranking on google
-Strathclyde has become on the top list while the university is still new.
-Durham business school rating dropped considerably in several years, but some sources cite that the postgraduate is good. (Note that Durham is highest among these in overall ranking.)
-Loughborough is very high ranking in finance, but not that high in terms of university ranking and not so familiar to many people.
-Lancaster is competitive to Durham, possibly with slightly better subject rating but lower overall rating. The city is smaller than Durham buy you can get to the lake and London faster than Durham.
-Leeds is top in finance and the city is quite large. Maybe it's one of the best choices.
-Bath: I've heard of it as one of the best Msc finance course. But it's a tourism city.

None of these persuade you choose go to Leeds and I'm still under consideration too. I really need more comments whether is Durham terrible or not (because it's a peaceful environment that I prefer.).
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Prom317,

Glad to hear that you're considering Loughborough.

The uni you go to is very much all about personal preference. I'm a third year student at Loughborough and I'm really enjoying my time here

Just a quick note on the subject of rankings; Loughborough are actually currently in the top ten across all national league tables.

- 4th in The Guardian University Guide 2019
- 7th in The Complete University Guide 2019
- 7th in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
- 6th in the Times Higher Education (THE) ‘Table of Tables’ 2018

We're also number one for Student Experience in the Times Higher Education (THE) Student Experience Survey 2018 and currently Whatuni's University of the Year.

Once again, wherever you choose to go is very much down to where you will feel most comfortable, more so than league tables anyway. After all, you're more likely to excel academically in a place that best suits you.

Priya

The Complete University Guide 2019
Cranfield University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Genial.Kris)
Hello there, Im looking forward to applying at the aforementioned universities for an MSC in Finance/Investment course but as my country of origin is India, my knowledge about the universities at UK is limited. If you could help me understand the nuances from an education and placement perspective about these universities, my thoughts would gain further clarity.
Hi Genial.Kris ,

Glad to hear that you are considering Cranfield for an MSc in Finance/Investment! I am an international student completing my PhD at Cranfield and completely have zero regrets with my choice of University - Cranfield.

We do have quite a good number of students from India here too. I've actually had communication with a few of them via the Student Room.
I understand the need to understand the "nuances from an education and placement perspective", I did that as well when I chased up University places for my studies.

For your choice of course, I would assume MSc Investment Management (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/mast...ent-management) or MSc Finance and Management (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/mast...and-management) are likely courses for you?

Cranfield University is a wholly postgraduate only research University, hence we are research-intensive and work in close partnership with industries and policymakers within government. There would be some unique networks you may come across if you do come to Cranfield. We are not on the usual rankings website, sadly, as most ranking website build their numbers on undergraduate entries! However, I could avail you with these

1. School of Management is ranked 7th in the UK and 30th in Europe in the Financial Times European Business Schools 2017 rankings. This School supervises the MSc Investment Management.
2. Finance and Management MSc is ranked 29th in the world overall. (QS World University Rankings)
3. Finance and Management MSc is ranked 6th in the UK and 32nd in the world (Financial Times)
4. Finance and Management MSc is ranked 27th in the world for employability (QS World University Rankings)

By "placement perspectives", I would assume that you mean employment after your studies is over? I would suggest, if you can, that you listen to a former student Supriya who tells of her experience after graduating at Cranfield with an MSc in Finance and Management (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/test...-muraleedharan)

Like I have mentioned in previous threads, at Cranfield, I would always suggest that, (1) you focus on excelling in your studies and (2) take full advantage of the opportunities you will see and (3) make career applications quite early when your MSc starts. (4) use the group project which you would get involved in with your colleagues + your host company as a platform for learning and industrial exposure. People who do these hardly ever go wrong.

I hope this helps. You have an impressive array of Universities you want to hear from; your decision-making process must be pretty tough! All the best with it.

Kind Regards
Cranfield TSR Rep.
Oke- Cranfield University PhD Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
6.06%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
12.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (7)
21.21%

Watched Threads