Taief Rahman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, guys I just wanted to know your thoughts on these subjects, I'm stuck between picking history or psychology for a-level, I wanted to know which has more workload, the intensity of the subjects, basically do I have to put more effort into one of them than the other, bearing in mind i find both of these subjects interesting and would happily spend hours revising.
username3687396
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Taief Rahman)
Hey, guys I just wanted to know your thoughts on these subjects, I'm stuck between picking history or psychology for a-level, I wanted to know which has more workload, the intensity of the subjects, basically do I have to put more effort into one of them than the other, bearing in mind i find both of these subjects interesting and would happily spend hours revising.
Do you know which exam board each subject is for, as if you do, you could always look at the specification to see how much content there is and what content you would enjoy learning more.

I did do Psychology (so I may be biased), but it is a subject with a fair bit of content, I did 11 topics in total by the end of A2.
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only took the psychology but I had friends who took history. History (depending on the exam board) has a lot of content and will take quite a few hours and real dedication into writing good essays with lots of good arguments etc etc (which you know) Plus the coursework is apparently quite stressful

Psychology has (again depending on the exam board) has no coursework and has different modules. There's a lot to learn and a lot to memorize but if you got a good memory you can pull it off. You basically have to learn a lot of essay structures and evaluation points for each theory/study but most of them overlap with quite a few others and there are some obvious generic ones you can put if you're blank in the exam. Personally I quote enjoyed it. Plus, some of it is common sense if you really think about it. That being said, you also have to revise for it lol

I never took both so I can't say which I prefer but that's my two cents. Any questions feel free to ask!
Taief Rahman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by AJ_3003)
Do you know which exam board each subject is for, as if you do, you could always look at the specification to see how much content there is and what content you would enjoy learning more.

I did do Psychology (so I may be biased), but it is a subject with a fair bit of content, I did 11 topics in total by the end of A2.
Thank you, both of these subjects are AQA for my school, I was just wondering how did you cope with the 11 topics, although the lengthy content did you enjoy it enough that you didn't mind?
username3687396
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Taief Rahman)
Thank you, both of these subjects are AQA for my school, I was just wondering how did you cope with the 11 topics, although the lengthy content did you enjoy it enough that you didn't mind?
Well for the AS, there's 6 topics and 2 exams at the end, 72 marks on each paper. There's 3 topics on each paper, but Research Methods is a topic that comes up in both papers, with its own 24 mark section in AS Paper 2.

For A2, you will still be required to remember all the knowledge from AS, but there will be 5 new topics, as well as an extension of Research Methods for A2. There's 11 topics in total and 3 exams at the end, 96 marks on each paper, with Research Methods coming up again across all three papers, and having its own 48 mark section in A2 Paper 2.

In addition to the AS content for A2, there's Issues and Debates (basically arguments in Psychology) and 3 option topics, which your teacher will most likely choose.

From my personal experience of finishing the A2 course this year, it is a difficult subject, but with the right teacher and set of resources, you can achieve highly.

Here's the specification link; https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...82-SP-2015.PDF

Just choose the subject you think you will enjoy more, as if you pick a subject that you don't enjoy, you're less likely to achieve highly in it. Hope this helps you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (99)
49.5%
No (101)
50.5%

Watched Threads