Do I have a chance ?? Watch

vickkyyx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi so last year I applied to do a levels but I didn't had enough gcses and I haven't passed maths either :\ so I had to do Access To A Levels,a year program where I did 3 gcses alongside resiting my maths.So this year I will be doing A levels,but the problem is that through this year I changed my thought on who I would like to become in future.I would like to study dentistry but I need to do a level biology and chemistry (biology is fine by me but I am more concerned about chemistry)and I am scared that I might not be able to do them since last year I got a D from science (and it wasn't double or triple science and the entry requirement for my sixth form is double/triple award,at least B) and 6 in gcse maths,that is possible for me since I improved from maths a lot but definitely not science.Has anyone been in the same situations as me?? Do I have the chance to still apply to do biology and chemistry?? I would call them or send an email but I am right now on my holiday so I can't call them and send an email because the wifi here is terrible.
MadamePompadour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't think Dentistry is for you. The entry requirements are high, the same as for Medicine and in many cases you need those A and B/ 6s and 7s grades at GCSE in the 1st sitting (so not resits) as well as A Levels. A D grade in Science at GCSE just isn't going to give you those A grades at A Level I'm afraid.

Have you researched all the career options open to you? You could start as a Dental nurse then move on to being a Dental hygienist. Many Dental nurses do an apprenticeship but a college course is another route.
vickkyyx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by MadamePompadour)
I don't think Dentistry is for you. The entry requirements are high, the same as for Medicine and in many cases you need those A and B/ 6s and 7s grades at GCSE in the 1st sitting (so not resits) as well as A Levels. A D grade in Science at GCSE just isn't going to give you those A grades at A Level I'm afraid.

Have you researched all the career options open to you? You could start as a Dental nurse then move on to being a Dental hygienist. Many Dental nurses do an apprenticeship but a college course is another route.
so if I would go onto dental nursing then do you happen to know what universities offer this kind of course or do they even have this kind of course.And later when I would graduate and become a dental nurse how long would i have to be one to then later be a dental hygienist (I would really like to become a prosthodontist so would I be able to become one? first dental nurse>dental hygienist>prosthodontist,is this route possible???)
MadamePompadour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't know if its possible to use that route to be a prosthodontist/orthodontist , you will have to research when you get back from your holiday. However the dental nurse to hygienist is possible as my hygienist started out as a dental nurse.

You dont need to go to university to start out as a dental nurse. The best route is as an apprentice. You can search online for apprenticeships local to you. https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey can you please put these threads in the dentistry forum - thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (100)
16.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (63)
10.59%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (105)
17.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (90)
15.13%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (59)
9.92%
How can I be the best version of myself? (178)
29.92%

Watched Threads