QIsForCucumber
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For my advanced higher English this year, I need to write a reflective essay. My teacher has given me a couple of suggestions, but I'm not really feeling them - they're quite serious topics and i usually try to do something humorous or 'different'. However, I'm not sure if that's suitable for reflective writing, especially at this level. Has anyone got any topic suggestions please?

I also really have no idea how to structure this essay, so any tips on that would be appreciated.

TIA.
ellie1964
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there!

I’m also doing AH English this year so I’m in the same boat, so I’ll just try and tell you what my teachers told me. I’d tend not to write an essay strictly by a prompt. I think the most successful and thought provoking pieces of writing aren’t strictly about an event, and a narrative of that, like the loss of a relative, because it needs to go beyond that. AH level writing is looking at something from a mature perspective with growth, realisation and leaving the marker thinking about the ideas mentioned. You want to make an impact. It doesn’t have to be sad, which I think tends to be very narrative anyway, you could write a really good piece with a humorous tone, it’s just the way you approach it. It could be about a feeling, a place, a person, things like that. I’m not saying by any means you cannot write about a specific event, again, it’s just the way you approach it, because the marker has probably read a dozen like it before.

On the topic of suggestions, I don’t really have any to be honest! I’d maybe go and look up a list of prompts and see if any catch your eye but honestly inspiration could strike at any time, so if an idea pops into your head just write it down so you don’t forget. Structure wise? I’d wait until you have the basic skeleton and outline of your piece and see if you could do anything clever with it if that’s what you want.

If you’ve got any more questions I’d be happy to help - it might inspire me to write my own piece. Hope this helps
QIsForCucumber
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, thanks for your help!

I am still lacking inspiration on ideas, so if anybody had any that would be a great help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?