A level psychology? Watch

daytrippper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm starting AQA A level psychology this September (as an intensive course with a tutor), can anyone explain how the course is structured? What the exams are like? + General advice?
amberleigh2699
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey! I’ve just done my a levels, AQA psychology being one of them.

The course is structured into topics. Overall I think you have about 11 topics to learn. You should cover them in the order of the papers! The first paper and second paper are all compulsory topics. These are -

P1 - memory, attachment, social influence and psychopathology

P2 - approaches, biopsychology and research methods

Paper three is a choice paper, meaning you or your tutor will choose your topics for that paper rather than everyone learning the same. All of the papers are two hours long and each one will have atleast one 16mark essay question in it, but this can range from one to three, all the other questions can range between 1 mark questions to 8 mark questions. It might be worth having a look on the AQA past paper website to look at the layout!
Psychology, although heavy on content, is very interesting. You’ll find you have your favourite topics and ones you despise revising. I used flash cards for my revision for it! Hope it goes well for you and good luck
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
daytrippper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by amberleigh2699)
Hey! I’ve just done my a levels, AQA psychology being one of them.

The course is structured into topics. Overall I think you have about 11 topics to learn. You should cover them in the order of the papers! The first paper and second paper are all compulsory topics. These are -

P1 - memory, attachment, social influence and psychopathology

P2 - approaches, biopsychology and research methods

Paper three is a choice paper, meaning you or your tutor will choose your topics for that paper rather than everyone learning the same. All of the papers are two hours long and each one will have atleast one 16mark essay question in it, but this can range from one to three, all the other questions can range between 1 mark questions to 8 mark questions. It might be worth having a look on the AQA past paper website to look at the layout!
Psychology, although heavy on content, is very interesting. You’ll find you have your favourite topics and ones you despise revising. I used flash cards for my revision for it! Hope it goes well for you and good luck
Thank you! So do you only do 3 exams in total?
amberleigh2699
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes only three at the end of your a level course
MJ4545
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Go through the specification and you'll see what you'll need to learn
You'll basically have the approaches and the application which involves basically a ton of theories and studies about it.
Then you'll have the issues and debated section about the theories and studies in the approaches and applications.
minivampire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by daytrippper)
I'm starting AQA A level psychology this September (as an intensive course with a tutor), can anyone explain how the course is structured? What the exams are like? + General advice?
Two websites I'd recommend and my teacher used;
SimplyPsychology
Tutor2u (they also have videos on youtube)

You get three types of questions;
AO1 - knowledge question.
AO2 - application. Apply knowledge to a scenerio.
AO3 - evaluation.
Your essays can be AO1 and 2 or all three.

Paper 3 also includes issues and debates, which is compulsory + three other topics your tutor will choose.
Issue and debates will also bs used as evaluation points, they are needed to achieve the higher bands in your essays.

Evaluation structure; you need 5/6 peels for high marks in an essay.
PEEL
P - POINT
E - EXAMPLE
E - EXPLAIN
L - LINK

Research methods are very important! They will come up on all three papers. However on paper 2 they have their own section worth 48 marks.

My methods of revision for Psyc;
Flashcards
Quizlet
Kahoot
White boards e.g. Lets say today I am going to review attachment. I will write down everything I remember, mark it - have I missed any vital points?
Summarise notes
Highlight key points
Mindmaps
Webinar (tutor2u)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.32%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (36)
18.18%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.59%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.16%

Watched Threads