Rugbee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
When making the initial application to UCAS, do you write them in number preference order, so first choice, second choice etc?

Do the universities all know in which order of preference you have placed them? Eg will University of Billericay know that I listed them as my last choice?

I’ve been hearing words like; firm, insurance when does this come in to play?

Thank you.
typicalvirgo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rugbee)
When making the initial application to UCAS, do you write them in number preference order, so first choice, second choice etc?

Do the universities all know in which order of preference you have placed them? Eg will University of Billericay know that I listed them as my last choice?

Thank you.
Your firm = first choice
Insurance = second choice

The unis aren't aware of the order iirc.
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thank you.
They don’t know where else or what else you’ve applied for. There is no preference at first so you apply to them all through UCAS but individually. They send offers and after that you choose your 1st choice (firm) and backup (insurance).
MiniR
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When applying to unis through UCAS, you get five choices. These are not ranked in terms of preference, they are just applications.

Once you have heard back from the unis - i.e. you been made a conditional/unconditional offer, or been rejected - you then pick two of the unis that accepted you. One is your 'firm' choice - this is the uni that you really want to go to, and if you achieve the requested grades (or not if its an unconditional offer), you will be accepted. Once you have 'firmed' and university, that will be the university you go to, if you get the grades.

The second choice, the 'insurance' is the university that you would like to go to if you don't get into your firm choice. People tend to pick a firm that requires lower grades, to increase the chances that you will get in. However, if you have an unconditional offer which you firm (choose as first pick), then you do not get to pick an insurance choice.

As far as I am aware, unis dont get to see if they are the 'firm' or insurance choice.

If you have more than two offers, the others get automatically rejected!

Hope this helps!
username2398141
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They know if you’ve applied to other courses ag their unicersity though.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thank you.
When you initially apply via UCAS, you get 5 choice. You can add these in any order (it's not a preference at this stage) and they don't all have to be added at once- so you could apply to two unis in October and then add three more in December when you might have already received some responses.

At this stage, unis can't see where else you have applied to- and they won't usually try and second guess this beyond giving out more offers than they have places, knowing some people will chose to go elsewhere.

Once you have replies, you can then designate a firm and insurance choice. Most people wait until they have all five replies back, but you aren't required to. This is a preference order. Your firm is your first choice and your insurance is your back up choice in case you don't make the grades for your firm. You don't get to chose between the two on results day.

If you chose an unconditional offer as your firm, you're locked into that and don't get an insurance choice (as you don't need it).

At this stage, unis get to see where else you've applied to and your decisions.

If you change your mind within 14 days, you can change a choice or switch your firm and insurance (due to distance selling rules). After this point, but before July, you can usually process a change of mind decision if all the unis involve agree.

I hope this helps and I haven't just made things more confusing!
Rugbee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks guys, that’s very clear. Glad to know they’re not aware of other Unis you’ve applied to or preference, that could be very awkward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads