Turn on thread page Beta

Did your teachers or parents make you feel worse about exams/results? watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    As per the title - did your parents or teachers make you feel worse when you were doing your exams? :confused:

Or maybe your parents are making you more nervous now for results day?

If so, what did / have they been doing or saying? Share below!

ReputationRep:
    Nope my parents are super supportive. However one of my friends was shouted at because she got 9 A*s instead of ten! I felt so bad for her because she’d worked so hard and done so well but they were still focused on the negatives.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    my parents are fine with it - 100% supportive and love being brought into the conversation about UCAS Clearing etc.

It was just discussing results day with my neighbours yesterday afternoon that stressed me the heck out, and now the months of nerves that hadn't hit me yet have started in full swing.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Having Asian parents means that getting 10A*s and an A will disappoint them, with that A :dong:

Thankfully I did much worse than that and my parents were quick to make me feel bad about it

ReputationRep:
    S9me teachers tried to keep up the pressure but I didn't care what they thought enough to be affected.

As long as I could look my Mam and Dad in the eye and say I'd give it my best go, that was good enough. So no pressure at all there.

ReputationRep:
    My teachers did :sadnod:

Apparently, my Math teacher was the reason I used to fear Math in the past, but fortunately, I was over it before my exams.

My Chemistry teacher always gave us extra work amd pressure, but that kinda helped us at the end, not gonna lie.

My English teacher always pretended to be dissatisfied with me to make me work harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Having Asian parents means that getting 10A*s and an A will disappoint them, with that A :dong:

Thankfully I did much worse than that and my parents were quick to make me feel bad about it
    Tell me about it. I remember when I was applying to uni my parents kept telling me to apply to college "just in case" even though my grades were perfectly good enough to get uni offers. I ended up getting an unconditional and 2 conditionals but them constantly telling me to apply for college really p***** me off.

ReputationRep:
    my parents were so happy for mine.. but usually if i fail they would be like 'oh we paid a total of 9000 pounds for your tuition' the usual guilt trip, they do

ReputationRep:
    My parents have been so supportive and don't care what I get but what I hate is how they keep talking about going to my firm like it's 100% gonna happen, it's just not gonna happen, really annoys me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Subscribing to this thread even though it will make me very angry.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Mine were pretty tough about it last time because they know I wasn't achieving my potential, but I feel a lot more confident this time and they know I put all the work in needed, so fingers crossed!
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    My parents seem quite chill about it. Or maybe they're just busy...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My parent has always been supportive of me, they wanted good results for my sake because i worked so hard and they knew i would be disappointed otherwise.
    My teachers were also all very supportive. Grammar schools are so quick to get hate but the majority of the pressure that i felt came from myself. When i was younger i was written off by my first primary school as being dyslexic (im not ) and a lost cause, my education was rubbish and i learned to read a year later than everyone else. I wanted to prove those people wrong and prove that from a shite start you can achieve good things. Which i think i did as i ended my school career with 9A*s and 8As
    All my teachers and my parent were happy for my sake as they knew how much effort i put in to get those grades,

ReputationRep:
    I told my parents I was gonna fail so they shouldn't expect anything from me (they didn't get mad). My eldest brother got A*s in all the sciences and maths and my other brother got 8's and 9's last year so I was set with expectations I cannot fu***** be bothered to reach. We've already planned the subjects I'm gonna resit lol
    rip

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly my parents were supportive of me, even though I only got two C grades. I wanted to go to college to study art, so it didn't really matter, although I now regret doing so awfully.

Now I'm at uni, they're really proud of me. I'm lucky that my parents have supported me even if I'm not the most academic!

ReputationRep:
    I have asian parents who put an insane amount of pressure on me. They wanted me to get all A* (with a couple As worse case scenario) But i know for a fact im going to do much worse than what they want me to get. I might even get a few Bs. I hate this :/
    They def make me feel worse about results day and my biggest worry for results day is what theyll say moreso than my actual results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chasmiths)
    My parents have been so supportive and don't care what I get but what I hate is how they keep talking about going to my firm like it's 100% gonna happen, it's just not gonna happen, really annoys me
    it really does get annoying. they mean well but for me at least i was worried that i wouldn't get in so if they keep talking like it's gonna happen and it doesn't i'd feel like crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    it really does get annoying. they mean well but for me at least i was worried that i wouldn't get in so if they keep talking like it's gonna happen and it doesn't i'd feel like crap.
    same here! they mean well but it means on results day it could get our hopes up, it sucks so much.

ReputationRep:
    My parents do try to be supportive. However, I think they put the pressure on without realising, because my immediate family has a history of very good grades, and they consistently focus on that, so if I get a bad grade in an academic subject I feel like I’ve let the family down, and I always worry they feel the same way.

Tbh my school couldn’t care less about my grades in particular tho. I don’t go to a strikingly academic school, so even if I’m not happy with my grade, I usually haven’t failed, and since there are others who consistently fail, the teachers are more fixated towards helping those people as opposed to someone who they know just had a bad day or something. I always get teachers telling me I’m too perfectionistic (is that a word?), which really annoys me, because why shouldn’t I try and do the best I can?

ReputationRep:
    My parents are very iffy when it comes to exams and results. Throughout the year it's very much "well done but do better next time/why didn't you do better". Most of the time I don't let it effect me but when I found out that I came top of my college in the AS psychology exam and near top in biology my dad focused on the fact that I wasn't top in everything and that I didn't get full marks. It really drags you down. When I got my actual AS results I was ecstatic beyond belief and my dad yelled at me saying they didn't matter or count so I shouldn't be excited or happy.

Oh and there's also the fact my mum thinks I've chosen the wrong university and so actually wants me to go to my insurance so she's always saying "maybe it'll be a good thing I'd you don't get it" and stuff along those lines which just puts that seed of doubt in your mind and stresses me for results more.
    Aren't parents joyful?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.