The Student Room Group

Future career

I'm not getting accepted in any apprenticeships or jobs and I really don't want to go college what should I do
Reply 1
keep applying for app and jobs
Original post by zed16
I'm not getting accepted in any apprenticeships or jobs and I really don't want to go college what should I do

How many have you applied for? And in what industry? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword
How many have you applied for? And in what industry? :smile:

I have applied for over 40 jobs and just over 10 apprenticeships. They're different so some are business admin some are customer service some retail.
Original post by zed16
I have applied for over 40 jobs and just over 10 apprenticeships. They're different so some are business admin some are customer service some retail.

Ahh I see. In that case, I think it might be worth reviewing the way you apply for them (the answers you give on applications and your CV) :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Ahh I see. In that case, I think it might be worth reviewing the way you apply for them (the answers you give on applications and your CV) :smile:

@zed16

Yep! Also make sure you tailor your CV for each application and that you make it relevant to the job you're applying for. It's quite easy to spot a generic CV.

Look at the job description and the company overview so you can highlight how you and your skills are a good fit for the company.

E: Hi Brainz! Hope everything is well. :smile:
Original post by zed16

Hi @zed16

If you are under 18 you will need to be in some form of education so it's great that you are looking for apprenticeships, however I am sorry to hear that you have not been successful.

If you are able to get back in touch with a little more information that would really help me to advise you:

1. What type of apprenticeship are you looking for?
2. Do you have your GCSE Maths and English at grade 4/C or above?
3. Have you received any support so far on your applications/CV?

There is also free support available through the National Apprenticeship Service and National Careers Service where you will be assigned an adviser who will take a look over your CV and applications to make sure that everything looks okay and keep in touch with you to support you through this. If you call 0800 100 900 and explain that you are looking for apprenticeship support they should be able to refer you across to the team.

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by Toy Soldiers
@zed16

Yep! Also make sure you tailor your CV for each application and that you make it relevant to the job you're applying for. It's quite easy to spot a generic CV.

Look at the job description and the company overview so you can highlight how you and your skills are a good fit for the company.

E: Hi Brainz! Hope everything is well. :smile:

Ello ello! So nice to hear from you - we need to catch up - hope you are well too :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi @zed16

If you are under 18 you will need to be in some form of education so it's great that you are looking for apprenticeships, however I am sorry to hear that you have not been successful.

If you are able to get back in touch with a little more information that would really help me to advise you:

1. What type of apprenticeship are you looking for?
2. Do you have your GCSE Maths and English at grade 4/C or above?
3. Have you received any support so far on your applications/CV?

There is also free support available through the National Apprenticeship Service and National Careers Service where you will be assigned an adviser who will take a look over your CV and applications to make sure that everything looks okay and keep in touch with you to support you through this. If you call 0800 100 900 and explain that you are looking for apprenticeship support they should be able to refer you across to the team.

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Thanks - Sophie.

Hi , im 16 years old. My GCSE results were okay i got 3 for english and maths my cousin and my mum helped with my cv and my mum helped with some application forms.
Original post by zed16
Hi , im 16 years old. My GCSE results were okay i got 3 for english and maths my cousin and my mum helped with my cv and my mum helped with some application forms.

Hi, thanks for getting back in touch.

Congratulations on your results and it’s brilliant you’ve got some support from your family to help with putting CV’s and applications together!

Lots of apprenticeships ask for you to have a level 4 or above in English and maths but if you don’t have them, it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be able to apply successfully. It’s very likely that you would be able to apply for whichever apprenticeship course you’re interested in with the grades you have at the moment and then work towards the higher grade while you continue with your apprenticeship it just means you’re not going to have to put things on hold to gain the English or maths before moving forward with your future!

Hopefully you will be able to give the National Careers Service team a call and get some more advice about writing CV’s, searching and applying for apprenticeship positions and feeling more confident about what options you have available!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Tom National Careers Service team.
Often it’s easier to get into apprenticeships after college, I know a ton of people doing that. Or, as a compromise there are some colleges that run programmes that get you into an apprenticeship (an example here being halesowen college but there’s probably one near you like that). If you need to redo any gcses that will help too, as well as any extracurricular stuff that could contribute
Reply 12
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi, thanks for getting back in touch.

Congratulations on your results and it’s brilliant you’ve got some support from your family to help with putting CV’s and applications together!

Lots of apprenticeships ask for you to have a level 4 or above in English and maths but if you don’t have them, it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be able to apply successfully. It’s very likely that you would be able to apply for whichever apprenticeship course you’re interested in with the grades you have at the moment and then work towards the higher grade while you continue with your apprenticeship it just means you’re not going to have to put things on hold to gain the English or maths before moving forward with your future!

Hopefully you will be able to give the National Careers Service team a call and get some more advice about writing CV’s, searching and applying for apprenticeship positions and feeling more confident about what options you have available!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Tom National Careers Service team.

Hi Thank you so much ive decided to go to college if they give me a place and retake my maths and english as well as other subjects. Throughout of high school i didn't care to be honest but know i want to go college and do the best i can do to make my family proud of me.
Original post by zed16

Dab on them haters:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending