The Student Room Group

UKCAT

Hey!

I will be getting down to some serious UKCAT revision over the next few weeks, but I have a few questions...

1) How are u structuring your practice e.g assigning a number of hours for each section (QR, AR etc) or doing as many medify questions as possible ?
2) How many hours of practice do u do per day in total?
3) When is the best time to start doing mock UKCAT exams?
4) Is the medify dashboard reliable?
5) What resources are u finding the most helpful?
6) Do u recommend the ISC 1250+ UKCAT questions book?
7) how would you recommend using the ISC book and online courses together?

If you have already sat the UKCAT I'd love to know your scores and what worked best for u.
I sat the UKCAT last year(got 3070):

1. I worked on each section each day. So every day I did 44 VR questions(or there abouts) and did them timed in the 22 minutes allocated, then 26 QR in the 25 mins allocated and so on for each section so that I essentially did a mock papers worth of questions every day but I did them spread out over some time. Hope that makes sense

2. 2 hrs(the week before the exam slightly more as I did some practice questions and a mock paper a day)

3. I began the week before(count how many full mocks you have access to and then do one a day and maybe 2 a day for the two days before the exam)

4. I didn't use medify so wouldn't know

5. I liked the isc book because although it was a lot more difficult than the real thing, it pushed me and made the real thing seem easier. I also used all free online resources I could find

6. Yes...but don't be disheartened if you're struggling to complete questions in the time limit or are getting a lot wrong. It really pushes you.

7. Personally I did the whole book first and then began to use online resources but it's up to you how you go about it

Also remember if you get questions wrong find out where you went wrong as it could help you for future questions
Original post by AzureCeleste
I sat the UKCAT last year(got 3070):

1. I worked on each section each day. So every day I did 44 VR questions(or there abouts) and did them timed in the 22 minutes allocated, then 26 QR in the 25 mins allocated and so on for each section so that I essentially did a mock papers worth of questions every day but I did them spread out over some time. Hope that makes sense

2. 2 hrs(the week before the exam slightly more as I did some practice questions and a mock paper a day)

3. I began the week before(count how many full mocks you have access to and then do one a day and maybe 2 a day for the two days before the exam)

4. I didn't use medify so wouldn't know

5. I liked the isc book because although it was a lot more difficult than the real thing, it pushed me and made the real thing seem easier. I also used all free online resources I could find

6. Yes...but don't be disheartened if you're struggling to complete questions in the time limit or are getting a lot wrong. It really pushes you.

7. Personally I did the whole book first and then began to use online resources but it's up to you how you go about it

Also remember if you get questions wrong find out where you went wrong as it could help you for future questions

That's an amazing score and thanks so much for the reply! when you were doing the questions in the ISC book were you scoring relatively high - I can't really see a trend in my scores as it's quite mixed? and do you have any addidtional tips for each section(especially DM)?
Original post by Studio ghibli
That's an amazing score and thanks so much for the reply! when you were doing the questions in the ISC book were you scoring relatively high - I can't really see a trend in my scores as it's quite mixed? and do you have any addidtional tips for each section(especially DM)?

Nope. Definitely not, particularly with the AR I was literally giving up. My results were all over, sometimes I did well, other times I didn't.
Tips: (I've just pulled this off of a load of older threads I've posted on so some stuff may be repeated)

AR- you can afford to spend a minute or two looking at the shapes as once you spot the pattern the following 4 questions should take 5 seconds. AR can be difficult and sometimes you spot the pattern immediatly, other times you don't. Make a list of all the different types of patterns that come up(no of sides, colour of shape, no of shapes etc.) and then when you try another question quickly go through all the different options of potential patterns and see if the pattern in front of you matches any.
If you have no idea, just guess all A, all B or all neither and move on.

QR- often there will be a few harder question and a few easier questions. If you see one which looks hard(e.g. last year if I saw a shape style one or a very wordy one), then flag the question and move on to an easier one. You can always come back(remember to guess a random answer before moving on though)

VR-You have to practice skim reading passages and picking out the information required rather than taking in the whole passage. It may be worth reading the question first so that you can work out what information you require from the passage rather than reading the passage and then the q.

DM-If your test isn't soon and you are struggling it may be worth attempting to complete it in untimed conditons to work out the best strategy for you to complete it as fast as possible and then do it in timed conditions. You'll notice certain styles of questions come up a lot(like the statement or venn diagram ones), if you are struggling to do them then keep practicing those questions to get used to them.

In the exam, if you feel like you are taking to long, answer all yes or all no, or all c or something for the passage or question you are struggling with, flag all those questions and do the ones you can do before coming back. Chances are that you will get a passage or a q you just can't get your head around and it may be worth just skipping it and guessing the answers
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AzureCeleste
Nope. Definitely not, particularly with the AR I was literally giving up. My results were all over, sometimes I did well, other times I didn't.
Tips: (I've just pulled this off of a load of older threads I've posted on so some stuff may be repeated)

AR- you can afford to spend a minute or two looking at the shapes as once you spot the pattern the following 4 questions should take 5 seconds. AR can be difficult and sometimes you spot the pattern immediatly, other times you don't. Make a list of all the different types of patterns that come up(no of sides, colour of shape, no of shapes etc.) and then when you try another question quickly go through all the different options of potential patterns and see if the pattern in front of you matches any.
If you have no idea, just guess all A, all B or all neither and move on.

QR- often there will be a few harder question and a few easier questions. If you see one which looks hard(e.g. last year if I saw a shape style one or a very wordy one), then flag the question and move on to an easier one. You can always come back(remember to guess a random answer before moving on though)

VR-You have to practice skim reading passages and picking out the information required rather than taking in the whole passage. It may be worth reading the question first so that you can work out what information you require from the passage rather than reading the passage and then the q.

DM-If your test isn't soon and you are struggling it may be worth attempting to complete it in untimed conditons to work out the best strategy for you to complete it as fast as possible and then do it in timed conditions. You'll notice certain styles of questions come up a lot(like the statement or venn diagram ones), if you are struggling to do them then keep practicing those questions to get used to them.

In the exam, if you feel like you are taking to long, answer all yes or all no, or all c or something for the passage or question you are struggling with, flag all those questions and do the ones you can do before coming back. Chances are that you will get a passage or a q you just can't get your head around and it may be worth just skipping it and guessing the answers

Thank you once again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending