Difference between ocr a and ocr b

Watch this thread
malkimoo
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
what is the difference between OCR A and OCR B?
Purmerend
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
What subject?
malkimoo
Rep:
(Original post by Purmerend)
What subject?
sciences
Purmerend
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
OCR A tends to focus on a more academic and theoretical side of the sciences.
OCR B tends to focus on a more technical and vocational route, how science relates to the real world and how we use it in industry.

TL;DR
OCR A - Academic and theoretical (more suited for university)
OCR B - Science in context (applied science)
malkimoo
Rep:
OCR B tends to focus on a more technical and vocational route, how science relates to the real world and how we use it in industry.

TL;DR
which is more respected? like for an academic student with the ability to do the more challenging which woud that be? (if im correct its 2 different syllabuses one can choose from?)
Purmerend
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
For an academic student aspiring to go to university, OCR A.

Either way it doesn't really matter. However, OCR A will prepare you better to build upon the theory when you're at university and make things a smoother ride.

OCR B is more tailored for those wanting to go straight into industry upon completing their A-Levels. They are both challenging in their own right, but it depends on your career route.
Purmerend
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by malkimoo)
which is more respected? like for an academic student with the ability to do the more challenging which woud that be? (if im correct its 2 different syllabuses one can choose from?)
Which specification did you follow/are following at GCSE?

Exam board?
Combined or separate science?

If AQA combined, are you doing trilogy or synergy?
If OCR combined, are you doing 21st century science?
malkimoo
Rep:
Which specification did you follow/are following at GCSE?

Exam board?
Combined or separate science?

If AQA combined, are you doing trilogy or synergy?
If OCR combined, are you doing 21st century science?
I took all my GCSEs this year under AQA i did sciences bio phys and chem triple higher no i didnt do synenergy idk even what it is lol
Purmerend
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I took all my GCSEs this year under AQA i did sciences bio phys and chem triple higher no i didnt do synenergy idk even what it is lol
Alright, if you did separate sciences and you have the choice of spec A or B, as a teacher, I’d recommend OCR A.

Trilogy is a trimmed down version of physics, chemistry and biology combined into 2 GCSEs.

Synergy is trimmed down the same but is more tailored to science in context of everyday life rather than the theory of science (which would lead into OCR B).
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

TL;DR
I don’t suppose you happen to know the differences between Literature A-Level A + B for AQA? 🤔
Purmerend
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
I don’t suppose you happen to know the differences between Literature A-Level A + B for AQA? 🤔
Sorry, no idea as I’m a science teacher 😕

My guess would be different contexts for literature rather than academic routes. For example, looking at themes of love, tragedy and comedy in Shakespearean texts. Things written at different eras.
malkimoo
Rep:
Alright, if you did separate sciences and you have the choice of spec A or B, as a teacher, I’d recommend OCR A.

Trilogy is a trimmed down version of physics, chemistry and biology combined into 2 GCSEs.

Synergy is trimmed down the same but is more tailored to science in context of everyday life rather than the theory of science (which would lead into OCR B).
thanks alot.. so if i understood correctly OCR A is the more challenging of the 2? and does the same apply for all the sciences and other OCR Alevels?
Purmerend
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thanks alot.. so if i understood correctly OCR A is the more challenging of the 2? and does the same apply for all the sciences and other OCR Alevels?
It would be the course that pushes and challenges you the most, yes.

Not necessarily. Some courses that have 2 specifications just follow different themes (such as literature), and maths just focuses on different aspects of maths.
malkimoo
Rep:
It would be the course that pushes and challenges you the most, yes.

Not necessarily. Some courses that have 2 specifications just follow different themes (such as literature), and maths just focuses on different aspects of maths.
thanks x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads