What’s the difference between The BTEC Extended Certificate and BTEC Certificate?

Watch
Bethyy_2499
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does anyone know the difference between the BTEC extended Certificate for applied science compared to the BTEC Certificate?
grl9096
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think, extended is worth an extra grade for example, DDD (three distinctions) and btec alone would be something like, DD (two distinctions). At least that was the difference a couple years ago.
Bethyy_2499
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you! Ive been stressing about results day all week and downloaded the clearing app just incase. I thought I’d calculate my ucas points but the extended certificate for my course wasn’t available, so I wasn’t sure it the standard certificate had the same amount of points.
Next-Gen-Lawyer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The difference (pretty much well-summarised by grl9096) -

BTEC Extended Diploma - Equivalent to 3 A-levels (depending on the grade you receive) for example - DDD is equivalent to AAA

BTEC Diploma - Equivalent to 2 A-levels (again, depending on the grade you receive) for example - DD is equivalent to AA

I did the BTEC lvl 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science, it was great, I got a DDM . (although now i'm studying law at uni).
Basically, its worth a whole extra grade. I would recommend doing the Extended, which is what I did, and i got into Law (LLB), very comfortably, (3 unconditional offers from very good unis), and my friends who (some of them) got better grades than myself got into Aeronautical engineering, which you need like AAB at A-level (the proper real-deal A-level) so its very much worth the extra grade + UCAS points.
DanJnr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So i believe a btec national certificate is when you can only get a Distinction which is quite similiar to AS where the highest you can get is an A. Then an extended certificate is what you do in your second year and this is when an D* is achievable. I completed my BTEC in one year just (phew, so much stress) waiting for results along with my A2 on results day. Hopefully im correct 👍
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bethyy_2499)
Does anyone know the difference between the BTEC extended Certificate for applied science compared to the BTEC Certificate?
BTEC certificate equivalent to AS and you can get an A*
BTEC extended certificate equivalent to 1 A level and you can get an A*.

The others are confusing certificate with diploma or not reading the question.
They are different qualifications.
irene-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Next-Gen-Lawyer)
The difference (pretty much well-summarised by grl9096) -

BTEC Extended Diploma - Equivalent to 3 A-levels (depending on the grade you receive) for example - DDD is equivalent to AAA

BTEC Diploma - Equivalent to 2 A-levels (again, depending on the grade you receive) for example - DD is equivalent to AA

I did the BTEC lvl 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science, it was great, I got a DDM . (although now i'm studying law at uni).
Basically, its worth a whole extra grade. I would recommend doing the Extended, which is what I did, and i got into Law (LLB), very comfortably, (3 unconditional offers from very good unis), and my friends who (some of them) got better grades than myself got into Aeronautical engineering, which you need like AAB at A-level (the proper real-deal A-level) so its very much worth the extra grade + UCAS points.
hi, im thinking of doing btec level 3 extended diploma in applied science and i still don't fully understand what you exactly do in this course. I hope u dont mind but can u explain what topics or things u did and how was it assessed ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (54)
15.43%
I'm not sure (9)
2.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.86%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.71%
I'm not a current university student (159)
45.43%

Watched Threads