Searcher1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which GCSE subjects take shortest and which give the longest time to finish?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Searcher1)
Which GCSE subjects take shortest and which give the longest time to finish?
If you end up taking separate sciences these tend to be last in the programme. Language exams are normally the earliest. Why?
Searcher1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
If you end up taking separate sciences these tend to be last in the programme. Language exams are normally the earliest. Why?
I had mocks and I want to compare them to GCSEs in all aspects. time-wise, difficulty-wise etc do you know if GCSEs are usually harder than mocks like people say?
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I had mocks and I want to compare them to GCSEs in all aspects. time-wise, difficulty-wise etc do you know if GCSEs are usually harder than mocks like people say?
Mocks tend to be past gcse papers so probably similar, but difficulty fluctuates a little every year
Searcher1
Rep:
?
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
Mocks tend to be past gcse papers so probably similar, but difficulty fluctuates a little every year
What worries me the most is that 40% of marks will be for applying knowledge in unfamiliar contexts (basically random questions).
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah you mean exam length, not course length. I don't remember a GCSE exam that went beyond 2 hours. There may likely be some now with the new courses in place though. The shortest you'll get an exam is likely an hour. I haven't seen the mocks that you were given, so it's very difficult to tell you whether they are easier or harder than the real exam or by how much harder.
What worries me the most is that 40% of marks will be for applying knowledge in unfamiliar contexts (basically random questions).
Exam questions are supposed to be without prior warning, you're not supposed to know what the questions will be, and you're in the same position as everyone else.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
having done my gcses, i can tell you in some cases that the mocks were easier than the real thing, other times the gcses were easier than the mocks. so it's a mixed bag. practice your exam technique and you should be fine; everyone's in the same boat as you.
Lydia.Mx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Ah you mean exam length, not course length. I don't remember a GCSE exam that went beyond 2 hours. There may likely be some now with the new courses in place though. The shortest you'll get an exam is likely an hour. I haven't seen the mocks that you were given, so it's very difficult to tell you whether they are easier or harder than the real exam or by how much harder.
Exam questions are supposed to be without prior warning, you're not supposed to know what the questions will be, and you're in the same position as everyone else.
English literature paper 2 was 2hrs 15mins so by far the longest
Lydia.Mx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Quite honestly, its hard to say if the actual GCSEs will be harder than mocks. Some of my exams that I sat may have had better questions on than the mocks or felt like they were 'easier' (even though they probably weren't!) or vice versa but that might have been the fact that I have done more revision for my GCSEs as mocks were in January so I had had less revision at that point so didn't know as much. Saying that GCSEs seemed much harder - in fact they were all hard but I would say the difficulty was manageable - you work hard and put in effort to revise & you are aren't going to find the exams as hard as if you don't. Without trying to scare you - I'd say again that they were all difficult but theres always questions that you can answer so you just have to try your best! Try not to worry about timings - if you ran out of time in any of your mocks then you'll do so many papers/tests/mocks in class that you'll get used to how fast you have to go. At the end of the day, all you can do is your best so just work hard and be prepared to revise but also take time for yourself! Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (67)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.73%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.18%

Watched Threads