Help? Is this ok as a dissertation topic/title?

Watch
ops12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there!

I'm starting my third year in september and have chosen to do a dissertation. The only problem is is that im really confused and don't even know if i understand exactly what a dissertation is.
Im studying film and tv production, I don't think it matters if you know anything on the subject, but I was just wondering if this sounds right as a dissertation title? because I have no idea if im doing this right.
I was planning on doing my dissertation on
'the representation of different genders on children's television'
I'd be very grateful for some feedback on if this sounds ok or not!
Alan88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ops12)
Hi there!

I'm starting my third year in september and have chosen to do a dissertation. The only problem is is that im really confused and don't even know if i understand exactly what a dissertation is.
Im studying film and tv production, I don't think it matters if you know anything on the subject, but I was just wondering if this sounds right as a dissertation title? because I have no idea if im doing this right.
I was planning on doing my dissertation on
'the representation of different genders on children's television'
I'd be very grateful for some feedback on if this sounds ok or not!
A dissertation is a final year project that differs from your other assignments in that you are responsible for your own learning under the direction of an assigned project supervisor. In essence, you will identify an area of interest and get the opportunity to explore this in detail. Undergraduate dissertations tend to be between 8,000 - 10,000 words.

In most cases, a dissertation will involve primary data collection where you conduct your own research or it can involve the use of secondary data only, so you in effect create a long literature review that addresses your proposed topic.

If you chose to collect your own data, you will need to consider what your study is hoping to find out and select the best method to extract that data, i.e. questionnaires, interviews, focus groups, etc. If you are going with conducting your own research, your dissertation usually follows this type of structure:

Introduction - A brief introduction to your chosen topic as well as outline any central research questions.

Literature Review - The opportunity to critically analyse the available literature relating to your chosen topic.

Methodology - This should contain your chosen method of data collection as well as the strengths and weaknesses of that method. you should also address any limitations of your chosen method.

Findings - This is where you present your collected data.

Discussion - This is where you analyse your data and link it back to the literature you outlined earlier.

Conclusion - A summary of your research as well as any recommendations you intend to make.

If you are using secondary data only, you will be expected to critically evaluate the work of others to construct your arguments.

Judging by your topic, you will be relying on secondary data collection? I think your topic sounds like a good starting point, but you need to consider what it is you are hoping to find out, or what it is you are arguing.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know who will supervise your dissertation? Does this topic fit well with their interests? You've reached a reasonable point at this early stage, but I'd expect more of an angle (than just an account of gender representation) by the time you get to the detailed planning stage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads