Can you see the time in your dreams?

Watch this thread
haseebj49
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Has anyone ever seen a clock/watch in their dreams?
I came across something online that claims that you can't but I'm sure I have seen one before.
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Not from what I can remember sorry, but I wouldn’t rule it out for sure
Pantera Fan Club
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
only once, when the whole premise of the dream was being late for school. the clock had to be there for that.
Athematica
Report 3 years ago
To test for lucid dream states, I check my watch and then look at it again. When looking at my watch in a dream, it'll either change on the second glance or the first glance will be incomprehensible nonsense and alien-like symbols. Sometimes I'm not aware enough to realise that the symbols were abnormal until later in the dream.

So, yeah, I can see my watch frequently. It's just not reliable or consistent which is why it makes such a good 'dream check'.
haseebj49
Rep:
(Original post by alevelphysicist)
Not from what I can remember sorry, but I wouldn’t rule it out for sure
I don't remember most of my dreams so that doesn't help too much 😂

(Original post by Pantera Fan Club)
only once, when the whole premise of the dream was being late for school. the clock had to be there for that.
Was the time on the clock right for the context? i.e. early in the morning if your getting up for school...
username3895014
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Maybe, I don’t remember any of my dreams 🤷🏽*♀️
alevelphysicist
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Athematica)
To test for lucid dream states, I check my watch and then look at it again. When looking at my watch in a dream, it'll either change on the second glance or the first glance will be incomprehensible nonsense and alien-like symbols. Sometimes I'm not aware enough to realise that the symbols were abnormal until later in the dream.

So, yeah, I can see my watch frequently. It's just not reliable or consistent which is why it makes such a good 'dream check'.
I do the looking twice thing with signs as the same sign will say different random things each time I look at it
Athematica
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alevelphysicist)
I do the looking twice thing with signs as the same sign will say different random things each time I look at it
That works as an analogue. The reasons I check my watch are 1) I wear it in real life every day so it's an easy reference. 2) it beeps on the hour and I do a mock 'reality check' in waking hours but then also the beeps when I'm sleeping trigger the same thing in my dreams (or maybe I don't hear them in my sleep and hear dream-beeps). It means I can pull myself into a state of awareness in a dream with a trigger and become lucid then take control of it. I come across signs less frequently in waking life and in dreams
Athematica
Report 3 years ago
Another fun one to try is counting fingers. Use your thumb and press against each finger counting each digit then do it in reverse order. In dream states, I often miscount.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Have never bothered to notice, too distracted by people dying in horrible ways to pay attention to clocks tbh
haseebj49
Rep:
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Have never bothered to notice, too distracted by people dying in horrible ways to pay attention to clocks tbh
that is not a dream
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by haseeb_jarral)
that is not a dream
Yes they are. Just bad ones
Pixzzles
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Lmao I had a dream where I ran out of time in an exam and was constantly looking at it. It was wild 😭
username4202082
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No not that I remember. The only thing in dreams that is even remotely close to depicting time would be if I remember a dream where I was a little girl in it.
haseebj49
Rep:
Yes they are. Just bad ones
i was thinking more along the lines of a nightmare...
alevelphysicist
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Athematica)
That works as an analogue. The reasons I check my watch are 1) I wear it in real life every day so it's an easy reference. 2) it beeps on the hour and I do a mock 'reality check' in waking hours but then also the beeps when I'm sleeping trigger the same thing in my dreams (or maybe I don't hear them in my sleep and hear dream-beeps). It means I can pull myself into a state of awareness in a dream with a trigger and become lucid then take control of it. I come across signs less frequently in waking life and in dreams
I wish I wore a watch more often irl 😂
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by haseeb_jarral)
i was thinking more along the lines of a nightmare...
Not necessarily, nightmares are only nightmares if they wake you up suddenly. If you wake up naturally but have horrible dreams that's not technically classed as a nightmare, rather a bad dream
haseebj49
Rep:
Not necessarily, nightmares are only nightmares if they wake you up suddenly. If you wake up naturally but have horrible dreams that's not technically classed as a nightmare, rather a bad dream
I've always thought of nightmares as a bad dream - even if you don't wake up.
So I never have nightmares? Just bad dreams I guess...
Chronoscope
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hmmmm interesting. i don't normally see a clocks, but if I do the clocks normally in black roman numerals. Though, if I see a clock in my dream it usually means something bad's gonna happen in the dream.
username3434964
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I read online that you can see them in dreams but they won't work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.7%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.57%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (21)
17.07%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (32)
26.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.14%

Watched Threads