The Student Room Group

Am I an SJW?

This poll is closed

Is Haviland an SJW?

Yes 75%
No25%
Total votes: 20
Apparently, I'm a social justice warrior. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Scroll to see replies

What's wrong with fighting for social justice?

Is it wrong to root for the underdog? Ever since I was little I've always gravitated towards oppressed people and the little man.
Social justice is impossible.
Original post by Miss Maddie

So I take it as a woman you've got no issues with being paid less than men for the same work and not being taking seriously by most men in your life?

Social justice in terms of fair distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within a society is not impossible as long people who believe in fairness are willing to fight for it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
So I take it as a woman you've got no issues with being paid less than men for the same work and not being taking seriously by most men in your life?

The gender pay gap doesnt exist in Britain. Anyone claiming it does buys into the ******** used to back up the claim

Social justice in terms of fair distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within a society is not impossible as long people who believe in fairness are willing to fight for it.

There’s fighting for justice then there’s being obsessed with helping so called oppressed and insulting anyone with a hint of difference in their view.
Dunno who you are.

I think you mixed up the definitions: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SJW (#2)

Kinda reductive
Original post by Nathan Scott
Kinda reductive

Kinda true. When push comes to shove we put ourselves and loved one first. Always have done and always will
Kinda true. When push comes to shove we put ourselves and loved one first. Always have done and always will

What does that have to do with social justice?
Any justice to these annoying tsrians is SJW. getting sick of reading it , so ugly
Reply 11

As said before, there is no wage gap based on gender. the stat of 77cents to a dollar is intentionally misleading and does not account for the fact that women on average work less- 39 hours for men a week on average compared to 34 hours for women. Also does not account for the fact that women tend to take jobs that they prefer- nuturing , and sometimes this can lead to lesser average pay, because their jobs are not as demanding - however, this is changing with the massive shift of girls getting into the stem and the like, with more girl graduates than boys right now and for the last couple of years. The last main reason is maternity leave, which is obviously more common than paternity leave which results in a lower average pay over the months they are absent. Take away these variables, and the gap is negligible- like 1p negligble- mostly with the average skilled work and the like. employers pay based on work and in certain performance jobs, the fanbase/ experience you have , particularly in tv and acting professions- people who fail to realise this and spout nonsense about discrimination on such a wide scale like the whole employment sphere are just not informed on the topic.
(edited 5 years ago)
What does that have to do with social justice?

You can't have social justice when everyone stops giving a **** about everyone else.
The gender pay gap doesnt exist in Britain. Anyone claiming it does buys into the ******** used to back up the claim

wage gap is still an issue imo
You can't have social justice when everyone stops giving a **** about everyone else.

Which is part of the problem. If people weren’t so selfish and entitled there wouldn’t be so much injustice in the world.
Original post by /JR/
As said before, there is no wage gap based on gender. the stat of 77cents to a dollar is intentionally misleading and does not account for the fact that women on average work less- 39 hours for men a week on average compared to 34 hours for women. Also does not account for the fact that women tend to take jobs that they prefer- nuturing , and sometimes this can lead to lesser average pay, because their jobs are not as demanding - however, this is changing with the massive shift of girls getting into the stem and the like, with more girl graduates than boys right now and for the last couple of years. The last main reason is maternity leave, which is obviously more common than paternity leave which results in a lower average pay over the months they are absent. Take away these variables, and the gap is negligible- like 1p negligble- mostly with the average skilled work and the like. employers pay based on work and in certain performance jobs, the fanbase/ experience you have , particularly in tv and acting professions- people who fail to realise this and spout nonsense about discrimination on such a wide scale like the whole employment sphere are just not informed on the topic.

I appreciate you typing this out but I ain't reading it bruv.
Which is part of the problem. If people weren’t so selfish and entitled there wouldn’t be so much injustice in the world.

People aren't going to change. The best you can do is join the selfish lot.
Original post by /JR/

it's fine to say there's a massive shift of girls in STEM course but they are still heavily outnumbered.
The debate on the wage gap should be about getting these numbers up as well as encouraging paternity leave.
Society can have a big impact on things like this and that's what should change - maybe if women didn't see many role models being just nurturing they would have more ambition.
Also the lack of people tacking paternity leave is also a problem
Reply 18
I appreciate you typing this out but I ain't reading it bruv.

you've answered your own question- thats a typical SJW response my man
Reply 19
it's only an insult if you allow it to insult you. i don't know if i've ever been called an SJW, but i really wouldn't care if i was. to me it speaks more of the lack of imagination from the person saying it and the fact they were triggered from what i said.

Quick Reply

Latest