What Degree would you consider the best for future development and job oppurtunities

Watch
connorc123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I completed my degree in computer science this year. I was just wondering with all these micky mouse degrees flying about; what degree would you do? and what degree would you completely avoid?
MedReapp2019
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
BTEC hair and beauty. People's hairstyles are always changing so im sure doing this will make you a future-proof career
connorc123
Rep:
?
(Original post by MedReapp2019)
BTEC hair and beauty. People's hairstyles are always changing so im sure doing this will make you a future-proof career
Im not quite sure that is degree level; but i suppose although the hairdressing market seems slightly oversaturated.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any degree you find challenging and stimulating, as well as choosing the right university that has more to offer than others; for example, having better career services, networking events, useful societies. Most graduate jobs (e.g. pr, business analyst, marketing, accounting, finance, policy advisor) do not require you to do a specific subject, so even if you're doing BA Beetles Studies and gaining relevant experience whilst at uni then you have a higher chance of being successful in your chosen job field.
connorc123
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
Any degree you find challenging and stimulating, as well as choosing the right university that has more to offer than others; for example, having better career services, networking events, useful societies. Most graduate jobs (e.g. pr, business analyst, marketing, accounting, finance, policy advisor) do not require you to do a specific subject, so even if you're doing BA Beetles Studies and gaining relevant experience whilst at uni then you have a higher chance of being successful in your chosen job field.
Beetles studies ahah; networking certianly is a huge component of logetivity. as well as extra curriculum activities; i wouldnt per se from my experience that certian jobs dont ask for certian expertise in-terms of degree taken though. For me within computing almost all jobs are looking for a (Mathmatic/Computing/IT) degree.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by connorc123)
Beetles studies ahah; networking certianly is a huge component of logetivity. as well as extra curriculum activities; i wouldnt per se from my experience that certian jobs dont ask for certian expertise in-terms of degree taken though. For me within computing almost all jobs are looking for a (Mathmatic/Computing/IT) degree.
that's funny because i can point to all sorts of people who have degrees in other things but are just good software engineers (especially if the job is front-end or mobile).

agree with kkboyk, literally any degree + going to a good uni (or being amongst the most driven/intelligent at a less good uni) + drive/ambition to seek opportunities will set you up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
62.39%
No (41)
37.61%

Watched Threads