yelp:)
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
---For photographers--

Is the job fulfilling financially and for you personally? Like is it stressful or enjoyable? This is mainly focused on portrait and nature photography.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's enjoyable but very competitive.
It takes a long time to build up a strong portfolio and a wide client base.
Jobs can be booked at the last minute and the clients with the highest budgets can be quite demanding.
A jewellery shop owner once made me work all night and then spend the next two days editing the images- recolouring products was not part of the job.

I mainly do nature, pets, property interior and product placement photography.
I rarely photograph people, only when a friend asks.
GeoJones94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As with any freelance work, it will be stressful but equally, if you're passionate about it you should be able to enjoy the process. Be as proactive as possible and create as many of your own opportunities as you can to start establishing a trusted name for your self. You'll really need to grind to succeed but as you'll be your own boss the motivation should more then be there.
yelp:)
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by GeoJones94)
As with any freelance work, it will be stressful but equally, if you're passionate about it you should be able to enjoy the process. Be as proactive as possible and create as many of your own opportunities as you can to start establishing a trusted name for your self. You'll really need to grind to succeed but as you'll be your own boss the motivation should more then be there.
Just to get some insight on how it's actually like; how did you start becoming a freelance photographer? Like what were the first steps?
GeoJones94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I haven't focused a lot of energy in getting photography gigs for a long time. I'm a sound engineer but I also do photography. I got some work just by putting myself in certain environments- eg. I was working for a music studio and they were planning a video shoot for one of the acts and was talking what production crew was required. I mentioned that I did photography and could fill the roll for behind the scenes photography. From this I met some other people involved in video productions/events and networked amongst them. As mentioned though, this is not my primary focus. I enjoy photography because I don't feel the pressure to be good at it like I do with music production/sound engineering.

This article seems pretty decent in terms of providing clear steps that might help you on your journey-
https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Freelance-Photographer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
19.77%
I'm not sure (2)
2.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (24)
27.91%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.49%
I'm not a current university student (40)
46.51%

Watched Threads