The use of aren't vs. isn't in the English Language

Watch
Louisecbr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have recently been noticing how people use aren't and isn't when speaking but have also seen it written and I am very interested in the correct usage.

From what I know, "aren't" would be used for plural and "isn't" would be used for singular. However I have seen "isn't" used where I think "aren't" should be used.

It's the same with "there're" and "there's" (in spoken). I often hear sentences such as "there's a lot of boats" or "there's a lot of people". Shouldn't these both be "there're" as in "there are"?

I have just today seen a BBC news post which said "Racing cars isn't just for guys.". This really made me think and want to ask people what is the correct way of using this? I would have said Racing cars AREN'T just for guys, because of racing cars being plural.

I know it's a tiny part of the language but I have noticed it so much recently that I would be really interested in what anyone has to say.

Thank you!
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The apostrophe denotes absent letters. Isn't = is not. Aren't = are not. They're = they are. Their is a possessive adjective meaning belonging to them. Any more questions?
Louisecbr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yes, thank you. I am aware of what you have explained but didn't think I needed to put that in the question with it being well known and that's not the question I was asking.

My question was about using aren't or isn't (are not or is not) because of how I have heard it being used (mostly in spoken as I mentioned) and there're and there's (there are and there is).

My main question is related to what the BBC posted today, is that correct or incorrect?
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It should have been aren't. The guy probably just had a blip.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The BBC one is easy to explain. They are not saying that racecars (plural entities) are not just for men, but that the activity of racing cars (singular action) is not reserved for men.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gjd800)
The BBC one is easy to explain. They are not saying that racecars (plural entities) are not just for men, but that the activity of racing cars (singular action) is not reserved for men.
This.
username4169146
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
when you have an -ing word (called a gerund) that is being used like a noun it follows the rule that it will usually be singular. e.g. racing cars isn't just for guys, listening to music is enjoyable, eating at different restaurants is fun, swimming in lakes is dangerous. The "racing" is the main subject of the sentence, and it's a gerund and gerunds as we know are almost always singular even if the object following them is plural,like in this case "cars." http://portlandenglish.edu/blog/gerund-subjects/
https://www.ef.co.uk/english-resourc...rammar/gerund/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (572)
34.29%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (687)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise