The Student Room Group

A-Level English Language vs Economics

Hiya so I’m starting sixth form in September but I’m still stuck on what to take as my third option (I couldn’t do sociology due to a clash 😕). My other two options are English Literature and Politics. I feel like either choice would complement them but I’m weary about the risks of getting bored of doing so much English. I did Economics at GCSE as well so I have a rough idea of what to expect content wise and I have also looked over the AQA spec for English Language. Thing is, I’m having a tough time deciding which one to pick. Economics has always been a subject that I excel at and I find reading outside the course very interesting especially however I did find the induction session to be quite dull. However I also excelled at English Language but find that only some parts of the A-Level course appeal to me (e.g. creative writing, language differences, language frameworks if I’m stretching it). So essentially the positives and negatives in my eyes cancel each other out and now I’m stuck here not knowing which one I’ll enjoy the most and if it’d be the right decision; I guess I’m just in need of some advice and maybe some insight into either course from those who take either. For reference, I plan on pursuing a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing. Thank you in advance!
Original post by ashestostardust
Hiya so I’m starting sixth form in September but I’m still stuck on what to take as my third option (I couldn’t do sociology due to a clash 😕). My other two options are English Literature and Politics. I feel like either choice would complement them but I’m weary about the risks of getting bored of doing so much English. I did Economics at GCSE as well so I have a rough idea of what to expect content wise and I have also looked over the AQA spec for English Language. Thing is, I’m having a tough time deciding which one to pick. Economics has always been a subject that I excel at and I find reading outside the course very interesting especially however I did find the induction session to be quite dull. However I also excelled at English Language but find that only some parts of the A-Level course appeal to me (e.g. creative writing, language differences, language frameworks if I’m stretching it). So essentially the positives and negatives in my eyes cancel each other out and now I’m stuck here not knowing which one I’ll enjoy the most and if it’d be the right decision; I guess I’m just in need of some advice and maybe some insight into either course from those who take either. For reference, I plan on pursuing a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing. Thank you in advance!

I was going to say whichever one you enjoy and will get the best grade in.

If you are absolutely sure its an English degree you are going to pursue then I would take language as being complementary and may even strengthen your ap[plication. check entrance requirements.
People change their minds though , so check the entrance requirements and see if English is required.
If you took Economics then it could create a few more options if you decided to do something financial based.

You have already checked the specifications.
Have you talked to existing students and taken into account the teachers and whether youd enjoy studying with them?
I did both English Lit and English Language a level at sixth form (not the combined, 2 separate a levels). If you do plan on doing English at uni I would advise English language a level. Originally I was worried I would find it too boring or struggle with the 2, but I enjoyed it; they’re completely different subjects (English language more theory based in some aspects whereas English lit is more analytical). In English language aqa there’s also a part in the paper when we have to write a newspaper article as you said (so useful for creative writing degree kinda). So yeah as long as you like writing essays. Plus in any a level subject there will be bits you won’t like. The induction is made to entice you with the subject so ngl if you found economics boring it may reflect what’s to come. Is there the option to do 4 and drop 1, or you could always do 4 for a month or so and then decide?
Original post by 999tigger
I was going to say whichever one you enjoy and will get the best grade in.

If you are absolutely sure its an English degree you are going to pursue then I would take language as being complementary and may even strengthen your ap[plication. check entrance requirements.
People change their minds though , so check the entrance requirements and see if English is required.
If you took Economics then it could create a few more options if you decided to do something financial based.

You have already checked the specifications.
Have you talked to existing students and taken into account the teachers and whether youd enjoy studying with them?

I’ve been looking around TSR in threads with some in and their views on their a-level seem actually really interesting. The normal person who teaches English Language left at the end of this year and i unfortunately wasn’t able to attend the induction session for it since they messed up the timetable. However there are a few teachers that I know to be potential candidates for the position and they seem alright. Whether I’d enjoy studying with them though I guess would be established when I begin the course.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lilyevans847
I did both English Lit and English Language a level at sixth form (not the combined, 2 separate a levels). If you do plan on doing English at uni I would advise English language a level. Originally I was worried I would find it too boring or struggle with the 2, but I enjoyed it; they’re completely different subjects (English language more theory based in some aspects whereas English lit is more analytical). In English language aqa there’s also a part in the paper when we have to write a newspaper article as you said (so useful for creative writing degree kinda). So yeah as long as you like writing essays. Plus in any a level subject there will be bits you won’t like. The induction is made to entice you with the subject so ngl if you found economics boring it may reflect what’s to come. Is there the option to do 4 and drop 1, or you could always do 4 for a month or so and then decide?

Oh yeah I think there is though I personally would rather stick with 3. I think I’ll definitely try language out though. Thank you!!
Original post by ashestostardust
I’ve been looking around TSR in threads with some in and their views on their a-level seem actually really interesting. The normal person who teaches English Language left at the end of this year and i unfortunately wasn’t able to attend the induction session for it since they messed up the timetable. However there are a few teachers that I know to be potential candidates for the position and they seem alright. Whether I’d enjoy studying with them though I guess would be established when I begin the course.

Have you checked requirements for the English courses you are interested in? I cant see how it wouldnt be complimentary and you need to see whether they have a preference.

My point was really that sometimes people change minds about their course and economics might open up a few more options. Consider what you might do afterwards.

Which course?
https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustudent/f?p=SACU_BROWSE0
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Which A levels?
http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices
I'd do economics, it means you won't have loads of English and often the English language is not highly regarded to unis unless you want to study it of course!! :smile:
Good luck for results day

Quick Reply

Latest